Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

What book are you currently reading?

metrogirl

However, I do need to read a clockwork orange before school gets out.

Brilliant brilliant brilliant book (cannot stress that enough), one of my all time faves.

Read the "Inspiration..." thread in here and decided to pick up The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho to see if it uplifted me at all. Nice easy read, got 1/4 of the way through it in half an hour. Enjoyable though.

I read "Things fall apart"....hated it. It was supposed to be so good too.

On to reading the rest of my textbooks for the semester. I really love my history book. My genetics book is such a thick read. Every 3 sentences has a new concept about. Finished the sections of my biology book. Pretty basic stuff. Just a lot of it.

On to reading the rest of my textbooks for the semester. I really love my history book. My genetics book is such a thick read. Every 3 sentences has a new concept about. Finished the sections of my biology book. Pretty basic stuff. Just a lot of it.

I feel bad, I always buy textbooks and then never use them unless I have a report to write and I'm desperate for references. So much wasted money.

you hated Things Fall Apart?? it is one of my al time favorite books!

i'm currently reading Indecision by Benjamin Kunkel, and i'm re-reading angels and demons by Dan Brown.

you hated Things Fall Apart?? it is one of my al time favorite books!

i'm currently reading Indecision by Benjamin Kunkel, and i'm re-reading angels and demons by Dan Brown.

Now, THAT'S a good book.

Truth be told, I've never really liked a book that I was assigned to read.

In Things Fall Apart, the natives were basically portrayed as savages, the christians as cowardly and closeminded. The only character I actually liked was the 2nd wife when she chased after the priestess in the darkness to find her daughter. The part where the main character (Don't ask me to spell his name) shows up with a machetee (don't ask me to correctly spell this either) to help her was really touching. However, the whole backstory of them "falling in love' without having talked to each other. And her just showing up at his house and they just have sex. What the heck?!

And, after the little scene with the priestess, the 2nd wife isn't really talked about again....

"Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea" By Chelsea Handler.

...simultaneously with a book on organic chemistry, just for balance

Next on my list: "Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven" by Susan Jane Gilman.

... and more chemistry, because next semester is going to be a b*tch.

Now, THAT'S a good book.

Truth be told, I've never really liked a book that I was assigned to read.

In Things Fall Apart, the natives were basically portrayed as savages, the christians as cowardly and closeminded. The only character I actually liked was the 2nd wife when she chased after the priestess in the darkness to find her daughter. The part where the main character (Don't ask me to spell his name) shows up with a machetee (don't ask me to correctly spell this either) to help her was really touching. However, the whole backstory of them "falling in love' without having talked to each other. And her just showing up at his house and they just have sex. What the heck?!

And, after the little scene with the priestess, the 2nd wife isn't really talked about again....

I thought that Chinua Achebe portrayed the intricacy of the tribal culture so well that it was at a comparable level with western culture. he managed to give people whom we would consider savages a tangible depth that made them human. he also succeeded in making the christian missionaries the antagonist in the novel, something i imagine would be really hard to do. Achebe is an excellent writer.

Yes Angels and Demons is a great book to read! i love dan brown!

I thought that Chinua Achebe portrayed the intricacy of the tribal culture so well that it was at a comparable level with western culture. he managed to give people whom we would consider savages a tangible depth that made them human. he also succeeded in making the christian missionaries the antagonist in the novel, something i imagine would be really hard to do. Achebe is an excellent writer.

Yes Angels and Demons is a great book to read! i love dan brown!

Dan Brown is great but he really write the same novel every time.

I think angels and demons was a great piece by itself but I didn't really care for the rest of his books.

And, as I said before, Things Fall Apart was probably a great book but writing the paper I had to write on it and the fact that it was a mandatory read automatically leaves me jaded.

Dan Brown is great but he really write the same novel every time.

I think angels and demons was a great piece by itself but I didn't really care for the rest of his books.

And, as I said before, Things Fall Apart was probably a great book but writing the paper I had to write on it and the fact that it was a mandatory read automatically leaves me jaded.

Its the readability of his novels that make them so endearing. i usually finish them in a day or two.

yes i understand what you mean, papers really kill novels for me

Its the readability of his novels that make them so endearing. i usually finish them in a day or two.

yes i understand what you mean, papers really kill novels for me

Yeah, it was an easy read. That's for sure. I like novels that are refreshing like that. It's a nice break from my thick regular reads my textbooks offer. It didn't try too hard to sound smart. It gave you exactly what you needed to create a picture. I really did like his style of writing. There was something very raw and simple about it that connected you with the feeling of the village.

If you like short little books that are relatively easy reads, try "Fahrenheit 451". Took me about 3 hours and it was such a wonderful book. Makes you appreciate life.

STILL reading Sarum. On page 644 now. It's a good novel, I'd recommend it if you're into historical fiction and are willing to be patient. It's not a thriller, more a thousand year history of a region of England through the eyes of some families there.

Just about finished "A Spot of Bother" by Mark Haddon, I loved his first book "A Curios Incident of the Dog in the Night-time"

Its very different from a curious incident as it takes on the perspectives of four people throughout, it's an ok read.

I just finished Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time! It was great.

Now I just started "An Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollen

Save Me From Myself by Brian "Head" Welch [ guitarist from Korn ].

It's...errmmm...uggh....

Oh dear....I've heard his new music...its not bad, but its not Korn. That was the most unexpected "reinvention" of a person I've ever seen....seemed to come from nowhere.

I'm reading The Catcher in the Rye, for the first time ever (I don't know why I haven't to date, I'm almost ashamed of myself).