Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

What book are you currently reading?

metrogirl

I am reading "Black Boy" by Richard Wright. This book is very inspiring. It's his autobiography. During the time it was written, there weren't many African American authors. It was also way before the civil rights era. His books actually sparked a lot of the civil rights moment, or inspired the civil rights moment.

Just reading the things he went through in his life has helped me to appreciate everything I have taken for granted in mine. It's a great read and I suggest it to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

The man on the boulevard by George Simenon a gifted and prolific writer. This novel is a classic Maigret mystery. Maigret is my favourtie fictional sleuth and man of great talent, empathy and dignity. He often takes no real pleasure in the guilty being punished, just a sad satisfaction that the case is closed.

Has anyone heard of the George Orwell Classic "1984"? Actually written in the late 1940s, about what he perceived 1984 to be. This book has--over time--earned three distinctive chronological views. The first is the view of the future for those who read it in the 50s, the view of the present, for those who read it on 1984, and the view of the past, for those who read it now. I did not get the chance to go through all 3 three of those experiences, but some people have.

The perception can be compared to the time you read it, whether past, present or future. The book is a heavily modified version of the defintion of a futuristic soceity, not being confused with the cliche robots and technology necessarily, but more so a societal concept that influences the way of living.

1984 is a good read, entailing a man who refuses to submist to socities norms and laws and seeks to revolt to a society that forces with no remorse their political views (which is basically an off-defintion of terrorism). This young man begins to write a diary on his life (which is not allowed in this futuristic soceity), and is in hiding from a supposed Big Brother, which may or may not exist. Big Brother is a "Warlord" figure who is only known through posters--which say, Big brother is watching you--on walls, but because he is a leader (possibly figurative and or symbolic) that has never been seen before, he may very well not actually exist, but of course he may as well.

and the movie 1948 is completely lousy (based on this book).

Goerge Orwell captures a future of terrorism and totalitarianism, which are concepts of the now germinating. Orwel also claims that this is a book he holds close to im. Once you go through this one check out "Animal Farm" as well, another interesting depiction based on the Russian Succession

Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman. again.

I loved this one!

Right now I'm reading a travel guide for London, England, Next by Michael Crichton, Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice and Metamorphosis & Other Stories by Franz Kafka.

I loved this one!

Right now I'm reading a travel guide for London, England, Next by Michael Crichton, Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice and Metamorphosis & Other Stories by Franz Kafka.

Memnoch was an interesting read, but I never liked any of her books as much as the original "Interview" and "Lestat". Finished all the Mayfair witch books as well.

Memnoch was an interesting read, but I never liked any of her books as much as the original "Interview" and "Lestat". Finished all the Mayfair witch books as well.

So far, I actually really don't like Memnoch. It's possible the book could get more interesting but I've read most of her work and loved it but this is unimpressive.