Good paying jobs in healthcare fields

Enough to survive on..

The average starting salary (In my area) for a radiation therapist is around $46,000/year and working your way up you can make anywhere from $52-68,000/year but once again that is in my area could be different for you..

Seems to me you are more focused on what you will be making rather than doing something you will enjoy? What I will be making is important to me but I also wanted to do something that I know I will enjoy as well.

I have no idea about salaries, and of course the salary is going to be different depending on where you live. I think you should focus on the area you are interested in rather than what will make you a ton of money. Also, you should be looking at what training you will need and whether that would interest you. If you want to find out the earning potential of say a radiation therapist, perhaps you can look at some of the journals, magazines and professional organizations that cater to that group of professionals. You might be able to make a contact and get a ballpark figure.

It's true there's no room for advancement, you really have to have the passion for dental hygiene. BUT, it's good money. The average starting salary in the U.S. is a little over 60,000, but I know hygienists in my area make plenty more. My friend started out right out of school at $45 an hour.

Oh and P.S. I'm going to school for it But I'm also a teeth freak and am passionate about the field!

It's true there's no room for advancement, you really have to have the passion for dental hygiene. BUT, it's good money. The average starting salary in the U.S. is a little over 60,000, but I know hygienists in my area make plenty more. My friend started out right out of school at $45 an hour.

Oh and P.S. I'm going to school for it But I'm also a teeth freak and am passionate about the field!

You have to be careful about the area the OP is in.. Here where i'm at, a dental hygenist makes nowhere near what you're saying and everyone I know who has gotten into it like it for the first maybe 2 - 3 years but like you said, got tired of it after awhile because it's the same thing over and over there's no room for advancement. If you're really passionate it's great but not something to get into just for the money.

I learned a lot from my youngest brother who is in nursing school about the healthcare field. From what I've learned (I'm sure there is more to it) is that the many great jobs are not always the big titled ones. His two fav. are:

1 - Registered nurse (RN)

2 - Physicians assistant (PA)

Of course, this is my little brother's biased approach, which doesn't mean it's right, and everyone has personal decisions which factor in:

- The path isn't as rigorous (dental, medical, pharmacy schools require a very big commitment).

- Your role involves patient care; as a doctor that is usually not the case.

- You assume minimum liability; doctors and other big shots assume the liability.

- Insurance is covered by the hospital or physician you work under; doctors, however, need to shell out malpractice insurance coverage. For example, an anesthesologist can make a couple hundred thousand a year, however, a very large chuck of his/her salary is used to cover malpractice insurance.

- You make a great salary.

- You can always pick up extra hours; you're very much in demand.

- You can have a life; a big shot is always tied to his/her job and is always on call. Many doctors live in hospitals. An RN or PA can work 3-4 days a week and live very comfortably.

I think the best way to find out what is best for you is to shadow a bit. See what everyone in healthcare does and if it's something that you would like to do. My brother did this after he was gung-ho about being a physician - and then changed his mind to nursing.

Good luck.

Never go into a job in the healthcare field for the money. You'll be rubbish at the job if that's your only motivator. You should be going into it because you actually care about people and want to help them. If that isn't your primary motivator then don't do it.

Totally agree with this...

My job in health care (medical technologist) is one of the few where you have a direct link to patient care, without patient contact - unfortunately it's also probably the lowest pay in the hospital, which isn't 'bad'.

It would be a fantastic idea to shadow different positions in healthcare. My main objective was to use my degree to springboard into being a doctor. Once I started working in a hospital and saw with my own eyes how much devotion it takes to be a doctor (even a bad one), I decided the gratification wasn't instant enough for me. And so many docs are frustrated with managed practice - and few can stand alone.

Totally agree with this...

My job in health care (medical technologist) is one of the few where you have a direct link to patient care, without patient contact - unfortunately it's also probably the lowest pay in the hospital, which isn't 'bad'.

It would be a fantastic idea to shadow different positions in healthcare. My main objective was to use my degree to springboard into being a doctor. Once I started working in a hospital and saw with my own eyes how much devotion it takes to be a doctor (even a bad one), I decided the gratification wasn't instant enough for me. And so many docs are frustrated with managed practice - and few can stand alone.

+1 A doctor is not a career or a job, it is a way of life - it's own lifestyle and the best out there only keep company with a few who truly love every minute of everyday that they spend doing what they love.

Never go into a job in the healthcare field for the money. You'll be rubbish at the job if that's your only motivator. You should be going into it because you actually care about people and want to help them. If that isn't your primary motivator then don't do it.

I'm going into the healthcare field because of the money, and health benefits. I don't see anything wrong with this at all. If they didn't want people to go into it for the money then they wouldn't pay RNs as much as they do. Personally, people have to make a living and support themselves, not everybody has to go into a field because they have a passion for it. You just need a good job to pay the bills. As long as you do your job to the best of your ability that should be good enough

if you go into a job just because of the money you will be completely miserable! Nursing is one of the hardest jobs you can do (Hence the reason they get paid so much money, the money isn't to draw people in.).. With your attitude you're not going to be very successful nor motivated to work especially if the health field you have to have a passion for helping people otherwise it WILL NEVER work out for you.

if you go into a job just because of the money you will be completely miserable! Nursing is one of the hardest jobs you can do (Hence the reason they get paid so much money, the money isn't to draw people in.).. With your attitude you're not going to be very successful nor motivated to work especially if the health field you have to have a passion for helping people otherwise it WILL NEVER work out for you.

Lots of people go into Nursing because of the money and stay motivated when they calculate how much they will be bringing home every other week. In a perfect world, everyone will do a job because they love it. But in the real world, people do it because they need financial security.

Some of the absolute most miserable people I have ever met have the following letters around there name:

JD

MD

I find it to be pretty split - I've met many miserable docs and lawyers. I'm sure this extends to many other professions, such as nursing. Pursue something you have an interest in, become the best at it, and money will come. We have enough people going into the wrong fields for the wrong reasons.

Some of the absolute most miserable people I have ever met have the following letters around there name:

JD

MD

I find it to be pretty split - I've met many miserable docs and lawyers. I'm sure this extends to many other professions, such as nursing. Pursue something you have an interest in, become the best at it, and money will come. We have enough people going into the wrong fields for the wrong reasons.

Well said..

If you're happy with what you're doing you can make alot of money on the other hand if you're completely miserable doing what you're doing and are only working that job for the money then you aren't going to go very far. You seemed to have a distorted view of how the real world should be. Do something you like and you will be successful no matter what it is.

Archived