Gym - a bad place to flirt?

shy2cool

Believe me, I don't intentionally flirt with anyone there. Infact, I'm kinda shy and look down when I see a real attractive girl working out near me in the weights area.

One of the personal trainers at my gym is so cute. She has her hair in pigtails and is short and argh...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gym is a great place to flirt. Many folks are there to look better and flirting (or being flirted reaffirms the feeling.

As a pick-up place I'd imagine it can be tough. Many gyms have the sterotype of being a meat-market, so everyone has their guard up.

I'd say flirt away with you cute, little PT. She probably gets hit on a thousand times a week.

The gym is the best place to flirt!!!

'Hey gorgeous, I'm [insert name]. How's your workout going?'

If she ignores you, go over to a machine on the other side of the room and work out til you find another target...I mean...woman that strikes your fancy!

It can be a really good place to flirt, but some girls hate being hit on (or even talked to) during their workout.

I, for one, typically do my best to avoid even people I know at the gym because I'm not in the mood to socialize.

Depends on the person, I guess.

I personally despise people who bug me when I'm working out. A girl striking up a random conversation on the treadmill just annoys me. I mean, I'm there for a reason. When I'm running full on, and someone is jogging half-heartedly speaking to me, I don't appreciate it none too much.

Man, I embarrassed myself badly today!

I totally worked by biceps to death today, and thought; hmmm... maybe just one more light set on my left side. Bad idea!! I couldn't even do 2 reps as my arm was so 'worked'. What's worse is that I didn't stop!! I tried again with a lighter weight and couldn't do it either.

I did this in front of a hot blonde too.... argh!!!

Believe me, I don't intentionally flirt with anyone there. Infact, I'm kinda shy and look down when I see a real attractive girl working out near me in the weights area.

One of the personal trainers at my gym is so cute. She has her hair in pigtails and is short and argh...

Gyms are renowned for a "pick-up" (for want of a better word) place. I think flirting is fine.. as long as it's not oggling girls or being sleazy, but from reading your past posts, I don't have you down as that type of guy.

Go for it, the more places you can talk to girls, the better your chances of finding "the" girl.

Ammy

I would NEVER flirt at the gym. The gym is my "me zone". If I were to flirt and meet some guy, dated him and it went horrible, I would have to always worry about bumping into him at my "me zone"..No way!

Life is hard enough

Good point. It is hard to find a good gym...only to have it ruined by a bad relationship.

The gym is the best place to flirt!!!

'Hey gorgeous, I'm [insert name]. How's your workout going?'

If she ignores you, go over to a machine on the other side of the room and work out til you find another target...I mean...woman that strikes your fancy!

that's a bit much man.

A gym is a better place to meet someone than at a bar/club.As long as a man backs off if it turns out a woman isn't interested .

i don't think it is. at a public place out having a good time and a place to mingle is not better than the gym. i go to the gym to work out and focus on fitness as i'm sure most women do. don't get me wrong, i'll take a minute and say hi to a hottie at the gym. i would feel awkward asking for her number after having a conversation with her at the gym.

I have the same fear as others. There are a lot of girl's I'd be interested in at my gym and I feel I have a decent chance at getting to know them, but I *love* going to the gym, and if a relationship ever didn't work out, I would not want that awkwardness. The gym is my place of solitude...

I see nothing wrong with silently flirting, you know...making eye contact, smiling, but it'd be annoying if while I'm working out intensely somebody tries to strike up a conversation. If I'm just walking around taking a rest, then fine, but I don't want to be interrupted while I'm sweating and breathless doing some exercise.

I also agree with the awkwardness feeling you'd get if something went wrong. For example when I was younger this guy asked me out in the gym. We had this short "fling" but after a while I didn't want to see him anymore, so I had to avoid going to the gym.

i flirt at the gym. i have yet to ask a girl out there though. probably the only place i feel awkward. usually cause the girls have earphones on or something or are doing cardio during the only chance i get.

I was at the gym a few days ago, chucked a bit of water at the girl on the treadmill beside me, said she was looking hot, so i cooled her down. Seemed to work

i don't think it is. at a public place out having a good time and a place to mingle is not better than the gym. i go to the gym to work out and focus on fitness as i'm sure most women do. don't get me wrong, i'll take a minute and say hi to a hottie at the gym. i would feel awkward asking for her number after having a conversation with her at the gym.
I am softspoken and I don't drink ,two big disadvantages in regards to meeting women at a bar.The gym is a better place for me personally ,but that is just me .

Lord, my opinion differs from just about everyone. I was shocked at how many people actually tolerate this. I mean, I may be repeating myself, but if anyone ever started bothering me in the gym, male or female [which they do, because I'm a regular, and many kids from my school come there to lift a little], I do generally tell them that I'm busy, and I can help them at another time.

If you're going to a gym to socialize, it defeats the point of the gym.

Lord, my opinion differs from just about everyone. I was shocked at how many people actually tolerate this. I mean, I may be repeating myself, but if anyone ever started bothering me in the gym, male or female [which they do, because I'm a regular, and many kids from my school come there to lift a little], I do generally tell them that I'm busy, and I can help them at another time.

If you're going to a gym to socialize, it defeats the point of the gym.

Most people aren't going to a gym strictly to socialize,but to work out.Socializing and meeting someone can be byproducts of going to the gym .What exactly is your definition of bothering someone? Is casually starting a conversation while someone is between sets or next to you on the treadmill considered bothering them?

I agree I do not see the gym as a place to socialize.. The only time I really talk to someone is if I need some help, like a spotter or something.

It annoys me like crazy if people talk to me if im doing a set, it can really break my focus. And I think many have it the same way, so I would never flirt with anyone there, since I hate it myself.

Most people aren't going to a gym strictly to socialize,but to work out.Socializing and meeting someone can be byproducts of going to the gym .What exactly is your definition of bothering someone? Is casually starting a conversation while someone is between sets or next to you on the treadmill considered bothering them?

Much effective training is based on timing between sets as well. If you speak to someone, you can't keep your eye on the time as well as respond fully to the conversation.

Archived