Ear infections

I get them alot, and I have one that's lasting well over 24 hours that has no signs of going away; in fact, it's getting worse. It's affecting almost everything in my life and I can barely hear outta my left ear.

Any ideas?

What are the symptoms, exactly? Any pain, any nausea/vomiting, any giddiness, or is it primarily hearing loss?

You said you get them a lot, how often would that be? It sounds to me like you need to get an investigation into why it keeps happening over and over. One thing I would say is, try and keep your ears clear of ear wax, because that can be the cause of infections.

do you use q-tips everyday? twice a day? i used to be obsessed with cleaning my ears. i had the same problem. now i toned it down to once a day with the q-tips. you can end up pushing he wax back in there balling it up and causing this. they have ear drops that soften the wax too and help clear it out.

do you use q-tips everyday? twice a day? i used to be obsessed with cleaning my ears. i had the same problem. now i toned it down to once a day with the q-tips. you can end up pushing he wax back in there balling it up and causing this. they have ear drops that soften the wax too and help clear it out.

Nah, I hardly ever use q-tips. maybe once every two weeks if I'm keen on it

What are the symptoms, exactly? Any pain, any nausea/vomiting, any giddiness, or is it primarily hearing loss?

Well, it's mostly being unable to hear and a lot of ringing outta my left ear.

Well, it's mostly being unable to hear and a lot of ringing outta my left ear.

That's what I suspected, in which it's most likely hardened earwax pressed against the eardrum blocking the airflow. You should put softening drops in it (or alternatively olive oil) for a 2-3 days, and if it doesn't improve, go to have your ear syringed. It's unlikely to be an ear infection; outer ear infections don't cause hearing loss generally, and inner ear infections usually cause some of the other symptoms that I asked about.

Archived