So I've decided to go back to school...

Yes. I'm 27 years old and never been to college. Been in the daily grind for years and even though I do have a comfortable middle class lifestyle, I've decided on going to college for a career change that will hopefully land me in my dream job.

The community college I've applied to and will be accepted into is out of state. I'm going to have to get a part time job to pay for gas, food, etc. I will take out the loans for school and off campus living expenses such as rent. My loans won't be subsidized because I make to much money, but my concern is when I move I will be leaving my job so all of a sudden I won't have the money like I have now.

I've realized I will need to lower my "standards" of living for 2 years and make sacrifices to get my degree but this is something I've wanted to do for the last 3 years and I really don't see any point in not taking this risk.

Do you think it's a good decision to leave everything behind so to speak to get a degree? I could use tuition reimbursement at the company I work at now to pay for college but I actually work to much to handle doing both ft. Personally I feel getting into a little bit of debt (20k or so) really isn't such a bad decision if in the end, I will land a job doing what I enjoy.

I also plan on moving back once my college degree is completed and working in my home state where most of my friends and family is located.

I did what you are about to do. My standard of living was not only lowered, it darn near disappeared altogether! Now that the end is in sight, it was all worth it. Be prepared to sacrifice money, time, and in some measure, relationships while you are doing it, though. Most men I dated wanted way more time from me than I was able to give. It had a negative impact sometimes, but not always.

good decision!

your education is something no one can ever take away from you.

your house can burn down, your car can be stolen, you can be mugged and your wallet stolen...but no one can EVER take away your education or experiences.

good for you for making that decision, its a tough one to make but something you will never regret!!

If the career you are pursuing makes it easy to find a job and pays more, a student loan is no big deal and can be paid off easily. Just make sure your field is in demand for the job.

You could also get a part time job while a student to get you enough money so you don't feel poverty stricken. I was actually a better student when i worked a bit every week, becuase it forced me to focus and prioritize. i know lots of people who don't work during school who basically just end up partying more or procrastinating.

So why not try full time school and a part time job at the university. there are lots of part time jobs at universities, so it makes it easy to study and work part time. i had a job in the library, that allowed me to even study while i worked!

I think you should do it. Especially while you are in a position of having few responsibilities (wife, kids, etc). I'm sure it'll take a bit of getting used to. Remember: Ramen Noodles are your friend!! I bet you'll be able to qualify for subsidized loans in your 2nd year too.

I'm going to school for criminal justice, the college I applied for just sent my acceptance letter yesterday. My goal is to work for the D.O.C.

In the state where I live you need at least a 2 yr degree while still being able to pass physical, psych, video test as well as a selection interview. It's a long process, but well worth it.

I just believe that everyone who has been given the gift of life should pursue their dreams and passions, even if they fail, at least they gave an effort.

Archived