What you did with your rings they gave you?

I have both my engagement ring and my wedding band in my jewelry box.

I would never ever be able to wear them again.

To me, they are nothing more than symbols of broken promises.

I have a ring my ex gave me that I used to wear on my ring finger of my left hand. It symbolized our relationship.

Now that our relationship no longer exists, it symbolizes nothing.

I still wear it occasionally, when it matches my outfit and I think to put it on. It's pretty, and I like the way it looks on my hand. A brilliant, dark blue sapphire flanked by two small diamonds.

It's about the symbolism. It means nothing to me, nothing more than a little decoration.

YS

i had a friend who got one of those big three wick candles. he put his ring in the center and would burn one of the candles for like 30 mins a night.

after some time the ring started to sink into the candle, to disappear, but it took time.

he said it was therapeutic, and it sounds like it would be.

mine is sitting on a desk in my house where i do not live. i still have the indentation around my finger. i hope it fades soon.

I have a ring my ex gave me that I used to wear on my ring finger of my left hand. It symbolized our relationship.

Now that our relationship no longer exists, it symbolizes nothing.

I still wear it occasionally, when it matches my outfit and I think to put it on. It's pretty, and I like the way it looks on my hand. A brilliant, dark blue sapphire flanked by two small diamonds.

It's about the symbolism. It means nothing to me, nothing more than a little decoration.

YS

I too have a beautiful Sapphire ring flanked by 2 diamonds. I promised him I would never take it off. I didn't wear it for awhile but I love the ring so I have taken to wearing it again.

My engagement ring contains the center 1 carat diamond from my mom's engagement ring. I will -- in time -- take the stone out and return it to my mom. She and my father gave it to my ex fiance to use in my ring, kind of a like a blessing for our upcoming marriage. My parents have been married nearly 40 years, so it really stood as a symbol to me of love, marriage, faith and loyalty.

After he left, I wore the ring until I was ready to tell people about the breakup. Now the ring is in my sock drawer. I can't bear to look at it right now.

At times I wish my mom's diamond wasn't in there, so i could pawn it and be done with it. But at the time it was the loveliest gift.

yes, I am sure it was...

and not to make too light of this thread, but, what's done is done.

I wasn't kidding about pawning it for 20 bucks and some beers...

And those were the best beers I have ever tasted.

Just my opinion, but hanging on to an engagement or a wedding ring just can't be healthy, because of the symbolic nature of the thing. Old pictures, poems, what-not, maybe a different story, but even there-I got rid of everything.

Ditch the rings...sell them or give to charity-sell them and buy something you want. Treat yourself. I think I drank half of that case and at the time it made me feel pretty good

My ex and I had matching silver braided rings for a little while. After we broke up the first time I put mine on my keychain. Then I lost my keys. It was almost like fate. I think she still has hers somewhere, but they were never very meaningful for us, especially after I lost mine and we got back together. Unless they really really hurt you, I think you should keep them, but that's just me.

Just my opinion, but hanging on to an engagement or a wedding ring just can't be healthy, because of the symbolic nature of the thing. Old pictures, poems, what-not, maybe a different story, but even there-I got rid of everything.

I agree. Dumping the keepsakes was a wonderful relief for me. She has boxes of photos and slides from the old life, and I don't want them.

I have almost no photos of myself before the divorce, even back into childhood. Quite liberating.

I gave mine back with the statement "Why would I want to keep this? You bought it. All it would do is sit in the jewelry box and every time I opened it, I would have the constant reminder of the pain that you left and we are done. What good does that do me?"

It was theraputic! As was seeing that amazed expression!!

I too have a beautiful Sapphire ring flanked by 2 diamonds. I promised him I would never take it off. I didn't wear it for awhile but I love the ring so I have taken to wearing it again.

Yep. And that's what it comes down to. I like it, thereforeeee I wear it.

Why would I allow anything (an ex, an ended relationship, etc) to come between me and what I'd like to do?

Perhaps it's a small show of defiance.

Freaking indentation is still on my finger too after nearly 6 months.

But I did wear it every day for nearly 20 years so I guess thats normal.

I think that honestly I took it off ten times due to work I was doing and didn't want to damage it.

Other than that, I always wore it. Now I see how meaningless they really are.

Archived