49 Up

Unmotivated

I was looking through the documentary section on Netflix and I came accross something called '49 Up'. It's part of a series of documentaries that started in 1964 in Britain. The premise is that they selected fourteen seven-year-olds, filmed and interviewed them, and then every seven years thereafter they did follow-ups on each person. It's interesting to see how their lives develop as they choose careers, struggle with relationships, and have kids and grandkids.

I'm sure it's not for everyone, but if you've never heard of it and it sounds intriguing you should check it out. I found it fascinating and even inspirational.

It seems like a common thread with most of the participants was that they married in their twenties, ended up divorcing, and then found a better relationship later in life.

I guess it was a bit surprising because the story in the back of my head was always that of my parents--they met in a bar, got married, and have been happy together ever since.

This is one of my favorite documentary series. I've seen every one. The films follow the same group of people from the time they're 7 and follows up on their lives every seven years.

More info is here: link removed! It says the premise of the film was taken from the Jesuit motto "Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man."

It always makes me think about what I was like at age 7 compared to who I am now.

Wow, so excited to see this thread. I've been a fan of the "Up" documentaries for awhile now. I think I first saw one when they were on "35 Up." Anywho, I haven't watched the whole "49 Up" on Netflix yet (got through two or three of the profiles a few weeks ago). I agree, they are long. But they are fascinating.

There was one lady who started arguing with the documentary filmmaker regarding how he was portraying her in the movies. She wanted him to focus on all the positive aspects of her life -- her potential, her dreams. She felt he was criticizing her or looking down on her. The filmmaker actually included their exchange, but that only served to show her as having a chip on her shoulder, I thought.

It was cool to see how one couple was on the brink of divorce in one film, but in the next one, they were still together and had managed to figure out how to stay together. Their honesty was refreshing. I still sorta can't believe these people agree each time to be filmed and to have people all over the world know about their lives.

I still sorta can't believe these people agree each time to be filmed and to have people all over the world know about their lives.

Yes, I know! I also think it's incredible that the filmmakers have been committed to the concept for over 40 years. I wonder how long they'll keep going with the series.

Archived