What are your thoughts on moving in together before marriage?

Hope75

What are your thoughts on moving in together before marriage?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on moving in together before marriage?

• I would never do it. Moving in before marriage gives your partner little motivation to propose
    • I guess it depends on the couple and the situation. Nothing is universal.
    • I'd do it with no expectations of a proposal at any time.
    • I think it's a must before marriage- it's a good way to prepare for being married.
    • I'd do it and still hope for a proposal at some time, but I don't think it's anything like being married.

It's 60% for those whom marry under 25.

The average overall is just under 50% - which means while the younger crowd brings it up, those older are probably quite a bit lower than 50% too.

More recent stats I have seen have actually shown the overall divorce rate has been declining the last few years - mainly as people may be waiting longer to marry in first place.

You can google it to find articles about the decline, but here is one that refers to studies that link "marrying smarter" and later to the decline, as WELL as living together without marriage because it means many whom otherwise would of married, didn't and don't thereforeeee count as a divorce when they split:

link removed

(As an aside, I thought it was interesting too in the article that there were comments that prenups seem to lead to less divorces, which is contrary to those whom think that it means you are dooming the relationship to begin with!)

I agree marriage is about working it out too, but for me so is living with my partner....it is about "working it out" whether we live together, or are married, if that makes sense....if we do get married I won't see that "date" as the day we started our lives together, or our journey together, but rather the years ago when we first met.

I am not religious but I still value marriage - and is one reason I have never been quick to rush into it - but I also value what we have together not being married.

I agree living together does not let you know if it WILL work out for sure - no guarantees in life. But it can show you when it WON'T work out pretty quickly in what I have seen!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived