could this be cancer???

My dad is a diabetic and his foot recently look bruised. Now a few months later, his toe nail is loose and it's kinda oozing. he never stepped on anything or droped anything on it. He went to the podiatrist and they found a hole under his toe nail. They had no idea what it was (but their not dermo's) could this be skin cancer????

More than likely he has not been looking after his diabetes properly.

he needs to get to a doctor urgently. More than likely he is developing gangrene in his foot due to bad or no ciculation. They may have to amputate. I am not kidding, diabetes is very very dangerous when mismanaged.

More than likely he has not been looking after his diabetes properly.

he needs to get to a doctor urgently. More than likely he is developing gangrene in his foot due to bad or no ciculation. They may have to amputate. I am not kidding, diabetes is very very dangerous when mismanaged.

Yes, I absolutely agree. He should go to emergency.

I would have to say that someone who has a pre-existing condition such as diabetes and has the classic diabetic mismanaged symptoms of bruising and putrification under their Toe Nails on the feet, probably should think the worse and get straight to the hospital.

If it was two am in the morning, raining and blowing a gale, i would pack my old man up in the car and take him. So it may turn out to be a simple infection and nothing huge, but honestly, don't risk it.

Have your father seen by his primary care physician ASAP. The very worst is that he may have his toe amputated given the seriousness of the infection (not cancerous but death of living cells due to loss of blood supply) to further reduce damage to neighboring blood vessels and nerves (that is if his other tissues and muscles haven't already become necrotic).

I would also suggest that you and your family members educate yourselves on diabetes and foot care as a future preventive measure.

Good luck.

I wonder if the podiatrist knew about the diabetes. Most doctors should know the risk factors of diabetes.

I would also think the podiatrist would question him about all his medical history, as all doctors do. Surely he will be advised to have someone else look at this.

I was assuming (possibly wrong) that anyone who has diabetes knows these risks also. Some people would rather ignore and deny though.

I would also think the podiatrist would question him about all his medical history, as all doctors do. Surely he will be advised to have someone else look at this.

I was assuming (possibly wrong) that anyone who has diabetes knows these risks also. Some people would rather ignore and deny though.

he does take care of diabetes. it just looked like a bruise at first. And yes his doctors know about it.

Sounds like diabetic foot to me. Even something simple like a blister on the foot can lead to severe infection/ulcer in a diabetic because of their diabetic neuropathy and peripheral vascular problems. How often does he see the podiatrist? Should be every three months really and the podiatrist should have picked up on this a lot sooner.

Is he being referred to anyone?

Krystal Ivy,

Does your dad have an appointment with another doctor to find out exactly what this is? I know you're worried about him.

My mom had skin cancer and would never see a doctor about that. She prayed it would go away. I was so worried about her for months before she died, and in the end something else took her suddenly.

Please let us know how your father is doing when you find out something. I hope he gets the care he needs.

Sounds like diabetic foot to me. Even something simple like a blister on the foot can lead to severe infection/ulcer in a diabetic because of their diabetic neuropathy and peripheral vascular problems. How often does he see the podiatrist? Should be every three months really and the podiatrist should have picked up on this a lot sooner.

This is what it sounded like to me as well...

not until they get the biopsy back.

It sounds to me like one of the rather common "results" of diabetes; particularly when older or not managed properly. Diabetes causes very poor circulation, and often toes, feet and so forth after an injury are easily infected (poor circulation means lack of white blood cells to attack infection) and amputation (not just toes but feet, legs, etc) is often necessary where advanced enough.

I hope he is okay and they figure out what is wrong so they can figure out how to treat it quickly.

This is perfectly normal. It would be a long and hard lecture about why and how this is happening, but trust me. Your father is OKAY and this is NORMAL. His body is getting old. Thats all there is too it! Happy Holidays!

it has the signs of cancer and the doc even thought it was. Also, he noticed a small ball in the indention under his toe nail (gross I know) and it seems to have gotten kinda bigger. Doesn't sound like anything I've heard of. His diabetes is well-managed.

If it is cancer, then that's known in medical terminology as a "red herring", which means that it's something other than what you'd expect to find in that particular area or in that type of patient.

How so? that cancer (subungal melanoma) is always expected to be under the large toe nail. And also is people of darker skin (we're mexican) and over the age of 50. The doctors weren't really surprised with their suspicion.

Archived