could this be cancer???

How so? that cancer (subungal melanoma) is always expected to be under the large toe nail. And also is people of darker skin (we're mexican) and over the age of 50. The doctors weren't really surprised with their suspicion.

In this case, because it is a diabetic patient you would be more likely to expect to see tissue necrosis in the extremities. In a nondiabetic patient then cancer would be the more likely diagnosis.

Krystal Ivy, I hope everything turns for the better for you and your family. I just went through a health scare myself with my dad. It is very stressful and sad when you don't know what is wrong and you have to watch them as they go through pain and sickness.

They thought my dad had lung cancer. Even did a biopsy and said he was positive for lung cancer. Then 2 weeks later, after he continued to get worse, they found out that it wasn't lung cancer at all! That it was a very rare type of lung infection that mimicked cancer.

I have an aunt that is diabetic and had a LOT of problems with her feet and legs. She took care of her diabetes but still had problems.

I hope the best for you dad

Krystal Ivy, I hope everything turns for the better for you and your family. I just went through a health scare myself with my dad. It is very stressful and sad when you don't know what is wrong and you have to watch them as they go through pain and sickness.

They thought my dad had lung cancer. Even did a biopsy and said he was positive for lung cancer. Then 2 weeks later, after he continued to get worse, they found out that it wasn't lung cancer at all! That it was a very rare type of lung infection that mimicked cancer.

I have an aunt that is diabetic and had a LOT of problems with her feet and legs. She took care of her diabetes but still had problems.

I hope the best for you dad

I'm praying it is somehow diabetes related even though it doesn't seem likely...

I'm curious to hear what the biopsy result are. I have not heard of that type of cancer but I have worked with many patients with diabetes (as well as cancer) and I have seen many wounds that sound like what you are describing.

How long has your father been a diabetic?

Length of time with diabetes can be a factor even if the person is managing their sugars fairly well. My father had to have his great toe nail removed due to a similar wound that you describe that was found last year. He is a diabetic too.

It's not hard for a wound like that to develop, all it takes is poor fitting shoes with a constant pressure point, stepping on something small and breaking the skin, and the person not noticing,(many times diabetics have very poor sensation in their feet due to peripheral neuropathy, or nerve damage secondary to poor circulation) Because of the damage that diabetes does to blood vessels a tiny wound like that has little chance to heal and regenerate (poor blood supply= no new vessel formation and extremely poor wound healing.)

Hope you'll come back and update us.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived