SMOKERS....I simply don't understand your habit.

OMG. As I've stated before, this is a clear example of someone merely regurgitating liberal propaganda. Just another control tactic, utilizing the same, old, tired, rhetorical links and "research". Ugh.

Okay, NOW I am officially done with this thread. I'm about ready to go and regurgitate what's left of my lunch.

GO SMOKE A STOG MAYITBE, NO ONE ASKED YOU TO POST HERE. TAKE YOUR ATTITUDE ELSEWHERE!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All of you screaming about smokers - be sure you don't eat any junkfood. Studies have shown McD's will kill ya! And make sure you go to the gym twice a week. No less....and please please please don't use harsh chemicals to clean your hosue! That stuff will kill your lungs...

Jaded, good post! I agree.

Sometimes, I can't help getting upset, though ...

Despite the ban on smoking inside the building, the person in the office accross the hall from me smokes. Nonstop.

Our offices are separated by a pretty narrow hallway so the smoke from her room directly seeps into mine.

I've noticed that I have been more prone to respitory problems this year.

I am *not* discounting other contributing factors but still I can't help but think exposure to all this second-hand smoke cant be ... good.

I am not an unreasonable person.

I do understand that she is stressed and she is trying to relieve herself of stress the best way she knows how.

Nonetheless, as I sat there the other day, coughing and coughing and coughing, I got pretty angry.

Yes, I understand it's her prerogative and it's a difficult habit to break.

Yes, I understand that it'd be hypocritical to attack her for smoking when I also emit pollutants into the environment.

But still ... I hate it that all my clothes stink of cigarette smoke now. I hate it that I am always coughing and my nose is always stuffy. I hate it that I always feel very headachy after sitting in the nicotine miasma.

I am seriously considering writing her an angry (but polite) letter asking her to smoke elsewhere. I've really had enough.

I think some people here are totally misunderstanding the nature of an addiction and just how intense it can be, physiologically and psychologically. It takes 28 days to form a habit. Now think about someone who has smoked 10 a day for a year? Now think that multiplied by 40 years? The amount of change in the brain is immense and it isn't just going to give you a few shakes. It is going to cause pain and some people are just not strong enough to handle it.

People start because human beings are naturally curious. Like I said earlier, within seconds the drug affects the brain. People try it again, looking for that same pleasure, and again, and again....and then they are addicted. I think if you ask the majority of people that smoke they will say that, although they may enjoy the "high" it gives them, they wish they had never started.

I smoke like a coal mill.

It is a combination of two different things

• An addiction to nicotine
  • A habit

It's not just the craving of nicotine. The little ritual of lighting up, putting the cigarette in your mouth, taking a drag, pulling it away, puffing smoke out... that in itself would probably be the hardest thing to do without.

I know all too much about whats going on in Baghdad and that really doesn't have anything to do with family who purposely are killing themselves and harmning their family by smoking. There is absolutely no excuse or logical reasoning behind smoking, its not like the facts on the products arent out there. I am not a large consumer I don't use byproducts or any chemical deodorants or shampoos, I buy only as au natural/organic as I can get. I think this post is way past anythng I even attempted for it to be. It's gotten way stretched and it's so far from my original intentions I may just have it deleted.

I wanted to know why smokers chose to smoke and what will make them quit and why do they subject themselves to sure a dismal future filled with hacking wheesing and lack of mobility....

Well Ellie smoking indoors in many places is now against the law, so this is not about respecting a person's right to smoke anymore - they are breaking the law and should stop.

She hast the right to smoke outdoors and off of the company property as mandated. If she violates that she should be dealt with properly. If I were you I would report her every time she breaks the rules.

I totally agree with what you said. I think that this was well stated, however about the "other" pollutants that we are actually ingesting, inhaling, etc. I disagree that they are as worse as actually smoking cigarettes. If that was the case then many of us would've died along time ago.

I'm not saying that "smoking" kills you instantly, because it doesn't. But in the long scheme of things, smoking does affect many things. Friends, family, the environment, the economy, peoples choices, etc. Not to mention that it's a slow killer. Everything may seem all fine and dandy for a smoker, until one day it hits them harder than a ton of bricks and they have this, that, and the other while being checked into a hospital and it all begins from there.

I don't "hate" people who smoke, I just simply wish that smokers could value something else more than taking that 15 minute smoke break.

There is ton of support out there for them to quit, so I don't see the problem on quitting a habit that is not worth it.

Good attitude

and i understand your frustration DG as this is something that is affecting you personally. I would think people esp people of ENA would realize that, try to understand and let you vent even if they disagree.

No one is preventing her from venting. We are giving the other sides of the story, i.e. our opinion, and most of us have done that very respectfully.

Good attitude

and i understand your frustration DG as this is something that is affecting you personally. I would think people esp people of ENA would realize that, try to understand and let you vent even if they disagree.

thanks a lot EastEnd, I REALLY appreciate it that thoughout multiple pages of replies that some people UNDERSTAND where I am coming from. So Thank you. And thanks to others who arent jumping down my throat like I came here to wage war on you people...

-DG724

I know all too much about whats going on in Baghdad and that really doesn't have anything to do with family who purposely are killing themselves and harmning their family by smoking. There is absolutely no excuse or logical reasoning behind smoking, its not like the facts on the products arent out there. I am not a large consumer I don't use byproducts or any chemical deodorants or shampoos, I buy only as au natural/organic as I can get. I think this post is way past anythng I even attempted for it to be. It's gotten way stretched and it's so far from my original intentions I may just have it deleted.

I wanted to know why smokers chose to smoke and what will make them quit and why do they subject themselves to sure a dismal future filled with hacking wheesing and lack of mobility....

You're right - there is no logic behind it. But that goes for a lot of things in life.

Why did my parents choose to smoke, despite the fact my sister and I hated it, and despite the health effects? It was their one enjoyment. My parents raised me well, put me through college, never deprived me of anything - my sister and I came first always.

That habit they kept for themselves, and I don't resent them or think that they were "killing" me as a child, now that I've grown up and gotten some perspective on what's important in life.

I don't "hate" people who smoke, I just simply wish that smokers could value something else more than taking that 15 minute smoke break.

There is ton of support out there for them to quit, so I don't see the problem on quitting a habit that is not worth it.

Love4Life & Fruitylips I think you understand my actual point of the post, so thank you.

AND YES, VERY WELL SAID FRUITYLIPS!!

-DG724

It's understandable that you are angry about your current situation and although this person is partially to blame you must understand that these issues to do with smoking were not that well known until only a few years ago, and it's really only the last three years that has produced a huge anti smoking outcry. I would suspect that your family member wishes he/she had never started smoking but they did and they must live with it and try to accept it. I would also make a bet that this person is continuing to smoke because they have realised that quitting now will not change anything and they are not willing to put themselves through the pain of quitting only to continue to suffer with the emphysema. Do you see what I mean?

Sorry to be so blunt, but you don't make the rules for everyone.

Is your anger and flipping out helping the situation? Or is it going to contribute to an ulcer or a heart attack for you?

It's priceless. The OP is saying smoking weed is A-Okay. Such a more healthy kind of smoke.

THis debate appears to be turning into one that is disrespectful to others opinions so I am out.

Good day.

I'm sorry for disagreeing with you Jadedstar..Is there a problem here?

I just find what you said about other "pollutants" in the air complete garbage.

I think I am well within my right to disagree with you.

Sorry to be so blunt.

And about the OP smoking or doing drugs. That's him/her..Not me, so why should I care??

Let him be a hypocrite if he chooses too, maybe this will make him see why he shouldn't smoke??

But in the long scheme of things, smoking does affect many things. Friends, family, the environment, the economy, peoples choices, etc. Not to mention that it's a slow killer. Everything may seem all fine and dandy for a smoker, until one day it hits them harder than a ton of bricks and they have this, that, and the other while being checked into a hospital and it all begins from there.

True. Heck, I saw the "Bodies" exhibit here in DC where they showed a pair of lungs of a smoker and a pair of lungs of a non-smoker. You could see the effects.

Still, no two people are alike. Some people may die from emphysema or lung cancer, but I've certainly hear of those 95-year old grannies who've smoked they're whole lives and never suffered a day because of it. Body compositions vary and what may harm one person drastically, may have little to no long-term effects on another.

You're right - there is no logic behind it. But that goes for a lot of things in life.

Why did my parents choose to smoke, despite the fact my sister and I hated it, and despite the health effects? It was their one enjoyment. My parents raised me well, put me through college, never deprived me of anything - my sister and I came first always.

That habit they kept for themselves, and I don't resent them or think that they were "killing" me as a child, now that I've grown up and gotten some perspective on what's important in life.

I understand totally what youre saying, I'm not more concerned about ME and the effect smoking has on MY health, I just see it as a gross habit that is killing this person. It's as plain as day if you spent one day in my house...and I feel that as a member of the family this person has a responsibility to stay healthy for multiple reasons, especially b/c of things going on right now. Like FruityLips said your lfe isnt worth a 15 minute smoke break...especially if it's multiple 15 minute breaks a day.

I just see it as a huge lack of respect for the family and for themself that they smoke as much as they do and harming their health SIGNIFICANTLY. (like i said its blantently noticeable) I dont even do it on purpose but I distance myself from this person i dont think theres any respect there.

-DG724

where did the weed talk come from

b/c I said how cigerettes has a large amnount of harmful additives in it that are put there to make it addicting AND cancerous and I said if cigs are legal weed should be legal because at least it's natural and has proven health BENEFITS...imagine that!

and someone started with the name caling and what not.

-DG724

Archived