SMOKERS....I simply don't understand your habit.

Thats comeplete BS, for every ONE article you can find saying 2nd hand isnt harmful I will find TEN.

I will spare the forum the flooding of links I have to completely dismiss that article you posted, sorry.

-DG724

As I shall refrain from posting my links.

LOL. Not only judgmental are we, darling, but militantly intolerant, elitist, and egotistically convinced that YOUR way is the RIGHT way, and the rest of the world should submit to your superior conviction, for our own widdle good. We're just too stupid and incapable of living our own widdle lives, aren't we? We NEED your enlightened guidance, or else we'd simply vanish from the face of the earth, due to our own imbecility.

I thought we fought wars in this country to liberate ourselves from such tyranny? Oh, silly, peasant me.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could never date a smoker for these reasons, and I'm lucky enough that where I am right now I won't have to deal with forever, but I have dealt with it my whole life and this person should have quit a long time ago

Here's the difference..you have every right NOT to date a smoker. You have every right to avoid smokers. You have every right to not have smoke in your house if you OWN or are the leaseholder. You don't, however, have the right to decide who can smoke. That is treading on ground that is treacherous.

It's not your decision what they are doing to their body. It is only your decision to choose to be around him or her or not. That is the limit of your power in this issue.

It is very hard to break a habit, especially one with chemical addictives in it.

Some people have to try numerous times before finally breaking it. Others decide they would rather risk problems than give up their source of comfort and routine.

But what gets me is...

Why do people START? Its expensive. Its smelly. Its dangerous. Its a turn-off for many. Its addictive. Its isolating (just look at the smokers huddled outside in the rain). If you need a pick-me-up and a routine, aren`t there better ways to do it? Hell, even thumbsucking would do nicely.

When it was more acceptable (ie, my parents`generation) it wasn`t a big deal because they were cheaper, and nobody knew about the dangers of smoking back then, I understand why someone would start.

But now? Don`t we know better?

Additionally, I want to extend my kudos and express my agreement with many of the posters here, in that you CAN NOT force someone to stop doing something that is harmful to them. That eliminates free will, a basic human right. There has to be a heart change, or a strong desire to make a lifestyle change.

Banning cigarettes would be akin to Prohibition in the USA ... it would all go underground, and make the problem much, much worse.

Speaking of free will...many say on here that cigerettes control the smoker. so um, whats more powerful FREE WILL or NICOTINE???

I agree that if cigerettes became illegal overnight, it would cause a lot of problems, but many steps should be taken in the nicotine industry to make it "healther" habit...

"Besides nicotine, cigarette smoke contains more than 4,000 substances, many of which may cause cancer or damage the lungs. Cigarette smoking is associated with coronary heart disease, stroke, ulcers, and an increased incidence of respiratory infections. Smoking is the major cause of lung cancer and is also associated with cancers of the larynx, esophagus, bladder, kidney, pancreas, stomach, and uterine cervix. Smoking is also the major cause of chronic bronchitis and emphysema." -
http://www.nida.nih.gov

By all means weed should be legal, at least it's NATURAL and has health BENEFITS!! But we wont go there, dont get me started on "The BS war on drugs" EYES:

-DG724

I could never date a smoker for these reasons, and I'm lucky enough that where I am right now I won't have to deal with forever, but I have dealt with it my whole life and this person should have quit a long time ago

Here's the difference..you have every right NOT to date a smoker. You have every right to avoid smokers. You have every right to not have smoke in your house if you OWN or are the leaseholder. You don't, however, have the right to decide who can smoke. That is treading on ground that is treacherous.

It's not your decision what they are doing to their body. It is only your decision to choose to be around him or her or not. That is the limit of your power in this issue.

without getting too detailed, just understand that I HAVE NO CHOICE but to be around this person, ok. and even if I wasn't around it everyday it would still negetively effect the relationship I have with this person.

-DG724

Your posts make it seem like it's less about concern for a loved one and more about concern for yourself and how this person's bad habit affects you. The original question seemed to be a quest for understanding why smokers don't quit. People who smoke (and some who don't) have offered you some reasons. Arguing about them or arguing with this person in your life who is smoking is futile. If you are living somewhere with a smoker, move out. That's pretty easy. Also, an unfortunate fact is that what you breathe in outside during a jog on a regular basis can be just as toxic over time, depending on where you live. So I don't know that second-hand smoke is where you should be targeting your energies if your main concern is your own health.

This poster is correct. There Is NO evidence that secondhand smoke causes adverse health risks.

I am a nonsmoker, I despise smoking and I support the nonsmoking laws because I find it distasteful and even disgusting, however, the laws are based on flawed studies.

Any article that purports to show that secondhand smoke is harmful are basing their information on unsubstantiated facts.

STOP WITH THIS UNEDUCATED PROPAGANDA!

link removed

Secondhand smoke is classified as a "known human carcinogen" (cancer-causing agent) by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the US National Toxicology Program, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), a branch of the World Health Organization.

Tobacco smoke contains over 4,000 chemical compounds. More than 60 of these are known or suspected to cause cancer.

Secondhand smoke can be harmful in many ways. In the United States alone, each year it is responsible for:

• an estimated 35,000 deaths from heart disease in non-smokers who live with smokers
  • about 3,400 lung cancer deaths in non-smoking adults
  • other breathing problems in non-smokers, including coughing, mucus, chest discomfort, and reduced lung function
  • 150,000 to 300,000 lung infections (such as pneumonia and bronchitis) in children younger than 18 months of age, which result in 7,500 to 15,000 hospitalizations
  • increases in the number and severity of asthma attacks in about 200,000 to 1 million children who have asthma
  • more than 750,000 middle ear infections in children

Pregnant women exposed to secondhand smoke are also at increased risk of having low birth weight babies.

An issue that continues to be studied is whether secondhand smoke may increase the risk of breast cancer. Both mainstream and secondhand smoke contain about 20 chemicals that, in high concentrations, cause breast cancer in rodents. Chemicals in tobacco smoke reach breast tissue and are found in breast milk.

The evidence regarding secondhand smoke and breast cancer risk in human studies is still being debated, partly because the risk has not been shown to be increased in active smokers. One possible explanation for this is that tobacco smoke may have different effects on breast cancer risk in smokers and in those who are exposed to secondhand smoke.

A report from the California Environmental Protection Agency in 2005 concluded that the evidence regarding secondhand smoke and breast cancer is "consistent with a causal association" in younger, mainly premenopausal women. The 2006 US Surgeon General's report, The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke, concluded that there is "suggestive but not sufficient" evidence of a link at this point. In any case, women should be told that this possible link to breast cancer is yet another reason to avoid contact with secondhand smoke.

The 2006 US Surgeon General's report reached several important conclusions:

• Secondhand smoke causes premature death and disease in children and in adults who do not smoke.
  • Children exposed to secondhand smoke are at an increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), acute respiratory infections, ear problems, and more severe asthma. Smoking by parents causes breathing (respiratory) symptoms and slows lung growth in their children.
  • Secondhand smoke immediately affects the heart and blood circulation in a harmful way. It also causes heart disease and lung cancer.
  • The scientific evidence shows that there is no "safe" level of exposure to secondhand smoke.
  • Many millions of Americans, both children and adults, are still exposed to secondhand smoke in their homes and workplaces despite a great deal of progress in tobacco control.
  • The only way to fully protect non-smokers from exposure to secondhand smoke indoors is to prevent all smoking in that indoor space or building. Separating smokers from non-smokers, cleaning the air, and ventilating buildings cannot keep non-smokers from being exposed to secondhand smoke.

Where Is Secondhand Smoke a Problem?

There are 3 locations where you should be especially concerned about exposure to secondhand smoke:

Your Workplace

The workplace is a major source of secondhand smoke exposure for adults. Secondhand smoke meets the criteria to be classified as a potential cancer-causing agent by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the federal agency responsible for health and safety regulations in the workplace. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), another federal agency, also recommends that secondhand smoke be considered a potential occupational carcinogen. Because there are no known safe levels, they recommend that exposures to secondhand smoke be reduced to the lowest possible levels.

Secondhand smoke exposure in the workplace has been linked to an increased risk for heart disease and lung cancer among adult non-smokers. The Surgeon General has concluded that smoke-free workplace policies are the only effective way to do away with secondhand smoke exposure in the workplace. Separating smokers from non-smokers, cleaning the air, and ventilating the building cannot prevent exposure if people smoke inside the building. Aside from protecting non-smokers, workplace smoking restrictions may also encourage smokers who wish to quit or reduce their use of tobacco products.

Public Places

Everyone can be exposed to secondhand smoke in public places, such as restaurants, shopping centers, public transportation, schools, and daycare centers. Although some businesses are reluctant to ban smoking, there is no credible evidence that going smoke-free is bad for business. Public places where children go are a special area of concern.

Your Home

Making your home smoke-free may be one of the most important things you can do for the health of your family. Any family member can develop health problems related to secondhand smoke. Children are especially sensitive. In the United States, 21 million, or 35% of children live in homes where residents or visitors smoke in the home on a regular basis. About 50% to 75% of children in the United States have detectable levels of cotinine, the breakdown product of nicotine, in their blood.

Think about it: we spend more time at home than anywhere else. A smoke-free home protects your family, your guests, and even your pets.

What About Smoking Odors?

There is no research in the medical literature about the cancer-causing effects of cigarette odors. The literature does show that secondhand tobacco smoke can get into hair, clothing, and other surfaces. Though unknown, the cancer-causing effects would likely be very small compared to direct exposure to secondhand smoke, such as living in a house with a smoker.

What Can Be Done About Secondhand Smoke?

Local, state, and federal authorities can enact public policies to protect people from secondhand smoke and protect children from tobacco-caused diseases and addiction. Because there are no safe levels of secondhand smoke, it is important that any such policies be as strong as possible, and that they do not prevent action at other levels of government.

Many US local and state governments, and even federal governments in some other countries, have decided that protecting the health of employees and others in public places is of the utmost importance. And many have passed clean indoor air laws in recent years. While the laws vary from place to place, they are becoming more common. Detailed information on smoking restrictions in each state is available from the American Lung Association at link removed.

To learn how you can become involved in reducing exposure to secondhand smoke, contact your American Cancer Society at 1-800-ACS-2345 (1-800-227-2345).

Additional Resources

Other Organizations

In addition to the American Cancer Society, other sources of information and support include*:

American Heart Association

Telephone: 1-800-AHA-USA-1 (1-800-242-8721)

Internet Address: link removed

American Lung Association

Telephone: 1-800-LUNG-USA (1-800-586-4872)

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Office on Smoking and Health

National Cancer Institute

Telephone: 1-800-4-CANCER (1-800-422-6237)

Smokefree.gov

(Info on state phone-based quitting programs)

Telephone: 1-800-QUITNOW (1-800-784-8669)

*Inclusion on this list does not imply endorsement by the American Cancer Society.

No matter who you are, we can help. Contact us anytime, day or night, for information and support. Call us at 1-800-ACS-2345 or visit link removed.

References

American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures 2007. Atlanta, GA. 2007.

American Lung Association. Secondhand Smoke Fact Sheet. 2007. Available at: link removed. Accessed October 15, 2007.

Borland R, Yong H-H, Siahpush M, et al. Support for and reported compliance with smoke-free restaurants and bars by smokers in four countries: findings from the International Tobacco Control (ITC) Four Country Survey. Tobacco Control. 2006;15(suppl_3)

California Environmental Protection Agency. Health Effects of Exposure to Environmental Tobacco Smoke. June 2005. Available at: link removed. Accessed October 15, 2007.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health. Current Intelligence Bulletin 54: Environmental Tobacco Smoke in the Workplace -- Lung Cancer and Other Health Effects. 1991. (Publication No. 91-108) Available at: link removed. Accessed October 15, 2007.

Environmental Protection Agency. Respiratory Health Effects of Passive Smoking: Lung Cancer and Other Disorders. Washington, DC: Environmental Protection Agency; 1992. (Report # EPA/600/6-90/006F) Available at: link removed. Accessed October 15, 2007.

Patten CA, Gilpin E, Cavin SW, et al. Workplace smoking policy and changes in smoking behaviour in California: A suggested association. Tobacco Control. 1995;4:36-41.

Pirkle JL, Flegal KM, Bernert JT, et al. Exposure of the US population to environmental tobacco smoke: The Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988 to 1991. JAMA. 1996;275:1233-1240.

Schuster MA, Franke T, Pham CB. Smoking patterns of household members and visitors in homes with children in the United States. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2002;156:1094-1100.

Steenland K. Passive smoking and the risk of heart disease. JAMA. 1992;267:94-99.

US Department of Health and Human Services. 11th Report on Carcinogens. Public Health Service -- National Toxicology Program. 2005. Available at: link removed. Accessed October 15, 2007.

US Department of Health and Human Services. The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke: A Report of the Surgeon General. Washington, DC: Department of Health and Human Services; 2006. Available at: link removed. Accessed October 15, 2007.

Revised: 10/25/2007

Why do people START? Its expensive. Its smelly. Its dangerous. Its a turn-off for many. Its addictive. Its isolating (just look at the smokers huddled outside in the rain). If you need a pick-me-up and a routine, aren`t there better ways to do it? Hell, even thumbsucking would do nicely.

When it was more acceptable (ie, my parents`generation) it wasn`t a big deal because they were cheaper, and nobody knew about the dangers of smoking back then, I understand why someone would start.

But now? Don`t we know better?

I totally agree with you. I dont get it either. You'd think by now, people would know so much more and stay away from such. Gosh dont get me started on the hacking of phlem and disgusting coughs. yuck

JadedStarEverything today is harmful. Carcinogens are in so many thigns that we partake in on a daily basis. I won't say second hand smoke is 100% safe, but I also dont think breathing in general is all that safe with today's pollutants.

I don't think second hand smoke is all that much worse then the pollutants that is in the air in large cities ...

Are you freaking kidding me? Come on...By walking down the street we are not constantly inhaling smoke...I mean you have to literally go up to a running car and stick you head behind it to inhale that stuff like you do if you are around someone who is physically smoking a cigarette.

Don't even go there with me...Because I knew someone who is suffering from smoking all her life, and I know that it had to do with her smoking problem.

Stop making excuses for people who smoke.

Yeah, there may be "pollutants" in the air, but inhaling smoke from a cigarette is a different thing. We are talking about choice..The choice to smoke. People don't need smoke to live...I need air to breath though, or otherwise I won't live. So please feed that hooey to someone else. "Pollutants" in the air has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

Sorry to sound so "blunt", but what you said has no bearing on this topic.

All of you screaming about smokers - be sure you don't eat any junkfood. Studies have shown McD's will kill ya! And make sure you go to the gym twice a week. No less....and please please please don't use harsh chemicals to clean your hosue! That stuff will kill your lungs...

No you just sound like a berating child. We are not talking about Food, we are talking about cigarettes.

See where I am going? Who gets to decide what is appropriate and what isn't?

My ex brother in law has lung cancer. Never smoked a day in his life. But I'll bet ya that many pollutants he was exposed to as a house painter had a great deal to do with it.

Scientists never said you couldn't get lung cancer from other sources, but studies prove that a majority of lung cancer patients were smokers. It's just facts, and whether you want to believe it or not, it is still written in stone!

Breathing in fumes from many of today's harsh chemicals is far more potent to non smokers than second hand smoke. After I clean with that stuff called "Purple Stuff" I have to go outside because my lungs are HURTING. You tell me that is not harmful as second hand smoke....

This just makes me laugh..Why would you consider still cleaning with a product that hurts your body? You are starting to sound like you make the same decisions smokers make.

'

Your posts make it seem like it's less about concern for a loved one and more about concern for yourself and how this person's bad habit affects you. The original question seemed to be a quest for understanding why smokers don't quit. People who smoke (and some who don't) have offered you some reasons. Arguing about them or arguing with this person in your life who is smoking is futile. If you are living somewhere with a smoker, move out. That's pretty easy. Also, an unfortunate fact is that what you breathe in outside during a jog on a regular basis can be just as toxic over time, depending on where you live. So I don't know that second-hand smoke is where you should be targeting your energies if your main concern is your own health.

Youre completely missing MY POINT, along with many people who replied. I DONT ARGUE WITH THE SMOKER. I AM NOT HERE BECAUSE OF MY OWN HEALTH (it just give me justifiable means to be angry at the sick habit) And it is NOT THAT EASY to just move out, so please leave the overly generic comments out Thank you.

I DO want to know why people chose to smoke, and I want them to know what WILL happen to them and that the decisions they make is negatively effecting the relationship they have with family/friends. If not at this very moment it will down the line because they ARE killing themselves.

And I posted this topic because I am going through it right now.

-DG724

The thing is, this person will continue to have the same symptoms even if they do give up smoking, because that is the nature of emphysema. It is a progressive disease and it won't get better. It will get worse, regardless of whether he or she now gives up or not. Giving up may slow the process down but it will not repair it. I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept the current situation as it is because the damage is now done. Making them feel guilty for taking up something that was more socially acceptable when they were younger doesn't help anyone.

You're right in that this person should have given up years ago but they didn't and that is most probably due to the addictive nature of their genetic make up, the nicotine itself, and, as I've said the fact that it was more socially acceptable back then.

You are of the generation that has decided it is an awful habit and that is your right and it is essentially correct but that wasn't always the opinion of the masses. I hope that you provide the support that this person needs rather than make them feel guilty.

Anyways, its a choice people make. My only request that the smoke be kept away from me. I am highly allergic to the smoke and it only takes breathing in a bit for me to have an asthma attack.

I am happy that in my city, its not allowed inside virtually every commercial or governmental building.

I still get frustrated when I want to open my window on a hot day and get some fresh air, I have to close it because the person below is smoking on his balcony what seems like every 10 minutes. I know I cannot control the air, but its still really frustrating and astounding in a way too. I am not kidding about the frequency this person is smoking outside, and I find myself wondering what he is doing to himself and his wallet smoking with that frequency!

It is very hard to quit an addiction and you are right, but it is not impossible...

Youre completely missing MY POINT, along with many people who replied. I DONT ARGUE WITH THE SMOKER. I AM NOT HERE BECAUSE OF MY OWN HEALTH (it just give me justifiable means to be angry at the sick habit) And it is NOT THAT EASY to just move out, so please leave the overly generic comments out Thank you.

I DO want to know why people chose to smoke, and I want them to know what WILL happen to them and that the decisions they make is negatively effecting the relationship they have with family/friends. If not at this very moment it will down the line because they ARE killing themselves.

And I posted this topic because I am going through it right now.

-DG724

I haven't missed your point, nor have other posters. No reason to scream with all caps. And how can I be anything but overly generic if you refuse to go into detail? If you don't like where you're living, for any reason, move out. It *is* that simple, actually.

If you want to know why people smoke, that's one thing, but I'm not sure this is the correct forum to lecture people about their smoking only to argue with them when they respond. Maybe you should vent some of this by working for truth, or the ALA. Forcing your message down peoples' throats is probably not going to be that effective.

I'm not sure your anger is proportionate to the situation.

All of you screaming about smokers - be sure you don't eat any junkfood. Studies have shown McD's will kill ya! And make sure you go to the gym twice a week. No less....and please please please don't use harsh chemicals to clean your hosue! That stuff will kill your lungs...

The difference between eating food that is bad for you and smoking something that is bad for you is that the bad food only affects the eater. They eat the food and hurt themselves.

Smokers smoke their stuff and leave a bad smell and pollute the air that non-smokers have to deal with. Why should I have an asthma attack and smell that nasty stuff?

Jaded Star, I agree with you that there are MANY MANY MANY carcinigens in our daily life. I have personally made it my own personal choice to cut many out. I don't even use chemical deodorants or baby powders due to TALC content, I don't eat meat, I eat as organic and locally grown foods as I can. I never eat at mc donalds etc..So yes I know there are many "hidden" carcinogens and I think its imprtant people know what theyre eating and what products theyre using.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST EVERYONE GOES HERE:

link removed

look up products you use everyday and see what are corcinogens and what aren't.

And while youre at it:

link removed

But I will say that I agree with what FruityLips has to say as well. There is enough **** out there working against you so why turn your own self against you by aiding a habit that will not only ultimately kill you, but will also harm others...

-DG724

DragonGirl, I understand why you dislike smoking. Both my parents are/were smokers and my father actually died from lung cancer. He also happened to have a history of cancer in his family. I dislike cigarette smoke as much as the next guy but I don't judge smokers for choosing their habit.

As for your saying you can't understand how someone can put something so bad for them into their bodies, we consume, inhale, absorb, etc. toxins on a daily basis via certain foods, chemicals and air pollution that surround us.

I find it unfair to single out smokers as the primary "killer" out there. In the great scheme of things, cigarette smoking should not be viewed as the great evil that it often is. Consider what people living in a place like Baghdad are going through, where their lives could be ripped from them in a split second. That puts things into perspective a bit.

OMG. As I've stated before, this is a clear example of someone merely regurgitating liberal propaganda. Just another control tactic, utilizing the same, old, tired, rhetorical links and "research". Ugh.

Okay, NOW I am officially done with this thread. I'm about ready to go and regurgitate what's left of my lunch.

Ahh, indeed, I was correct in my assumption. A stoner whining about tobacco users. Typical, hypocritical, and, IMHO, sanctimonious. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Go "smoke" your weed. It's calling you even now, can't you hear it?

Wow. Hypocrisy personified. I am now officially DONE with this thread.

"MAY IT BE", I AM NOT A STONER!!! HOW DARE YOU LABEL ME! DELETE YOUR POST REPLY IMNMEDIATELY!! HOW DO YOU KNOW IF I EVER EVEN SMOKED WEED??

AND IF YOU DENY THE HELATH BENEFITS OF MARIJUANA THEN YOU NEED TO DO SOME RESEARCH YOURSELF.

Archived