How do you deal with being fired??

adidas7fire

Has anyone been fired from their job for cause? It hasn't happened to me yet but I'm scared that it just might happen and I don't know what to do. I heard that you can't draw unemployment if the termination reason is for cause and on top of that, the company can contest against one being able to draw unemployment. I just want to see how people deal with this and what steps you took to get yourself back on your feet. I just want to sink into a corner and cry my heart out because I might have made one mistake ... that mistake which may cause me to lose my job.

I can relate to being fired because I have been fired from 4 jobs.

Sometimes people get fired from jobs for no legitimate reason. Often thier employer simply doesn't like them. I can say for sure that of the 4 jobs I have been fired from, I didn't deserve to be let go from 3 of them. Only at one job was I really not qualified for the position.

Being fired can be hurtful and frustrating, especially to a hard working person who is eager to proof themselves. I have felt that way more than once.

All I can say is that if you get fired, just keep trying and trying. If you have to apply to a hundred places a day before you get a job, go do it. It's hard, I know. I understand the feelings of feeling lost and helpless and misunderstood. I have been there too.

Remember that being fired can open new opportunities. It can lead you to a better job, or to start your own business. Some people just thrive better in a different environment. I know that is true of me. The fact that I have been fired 4 times doesn't mean I am a bad worker. It just means I was made to thrive in areas different from the ones I was previously employed. It just meant I had a different purpose in life, and that being fired was actually good because it opened my eyes to what I feel is my true purpose.

Don't worry, OK. Just take it one day at a time. And keep us updated on your situation and how you feel, OK....

Night Pumpkin

Wow... that's nuts! I have NEVER been fired but I think that this one mistake I did might lead me down that path. I'm so scared, pissed off at myself, all these feelings because I'm trying to lan my wedding at the same time and you can't do that when you don't have a job that brings in money. I fear that employers I apply jobs for will not look kindly at the firing and thereforeeee, I won't get another job. It's definitely frustrating, I'll give you that... and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it at all... I most likely won't be able to sleep at all. Ugh, this is so not fair. (But one thing is for sure -- I have been looking for a new job because I don't feel as this one is paying me worth my while nor appreciates the hard work I do.) THAT's what's frustrating the most!

I actually feel sorry for you that you have never been fired from a job.

Sometimes being fired can be the best thing for you. Honestly. I know lots of people who really "found themselves" after being fired from a job, or a string of jobs. They found that the jobs they were simply not for them.

Many people I know who have been fired from jobs have gone on to start thier own companies and are now thriving happy individuals. The best opportunities are the ones you create for yourself.

No, I got your point HarleyHunny. It's just that at the moment that someone fires you, it's hard to look them in the eye and say "thanks, it's been a pleasure" when you actually want to claw their eyes out for doing what they are doing. It's not like I am asking to have this done -- just unfortunate.

The point is that you just have to make the best of every situation.

Some people look down upon people who have been fired, and think that there must be something wrong with them if they have been fired from several jobs. But many of the world's top entrepreneurs, if you look at thier work history, were fired multiple times before they found something they could succeed in.

The important thing to remember is that just because you are fired, it doesn't mean there is something wrong with you personally. Don't take it personally. There is NOTHING wrong with being fired. Just try to see everything as a new opportunity.

I wouldn't worry about being fired for one mistake. As long as you're honest, learn from your mistakes, and promise never to do it again, most employers will understand. Remember, it takes a lot of time and money to post a want ad, interview, and hire your replacement. It's a cheaper and wiser investment to allow employees to make and learn from their mistakes.

I've never been fired, but perhaps that's because I usually left before things ever got to that point. But earlier this year, one of my best friends called me to pick him up from work when he was fired. He was devastated and had no clue that he was getting axed. In fact, they had just told him the previous week they were moving his office upstairs. (I think the real reason why he was fired was that they recently hired someone with more experience and only needed one person to do both jobs. But because they didn't want him to collect unemployment, they made up some bogus reason about his work not being up to their standards.)

It took him awhile to get the courage to look for work again, but now he's happily working at a temp job that will hopefully blossom into full time work.

I rented the movie link removed out of curiosity and to help my friend get over being fired. The book is a fun read too!

I agree. It can take a lot of effort to find someone new, and it is unlikely you will be fired for one mistake.

I work for a roofing company, and on one apartment roof I accidentally pushed pebbles down a drain pipe. It cost $800 to fix. I felt for sure I would be fired, and though I was paraded as a dummy by some supervisors and co workers, nothing bad happened. Later I learnt that several others had done the exact same thing before.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe, but you have never experienced the pain of being fired. You don't know what it's like going to work every day and working so hard and giving your everything to a company, only to have it turn against you and dump you for no good reason. It hurts soooooooooooo much.

Being fired can be as painful as being rejected by a boyfriend or girlfriend. THe pain really is that intense.

I accomplished all that without having to be FIRED, my friend.

Archived