Overcoming depression without medication?

Is it possible to overcome depression without medication? I have a friend who is anable to take antidepresssants due to his job (he is a pilot and is not allowed to fly if taking antidepressants). Does anyone have any suggestions for overcoming depression without using medication?

Of course. But he should be discussing it with his doctor and/or therapist/psych.

Sometimes there are sacrifices to be made to get well, though. If his depression is a case that would best be treated with medication as part of the treatment program, there might be serious cause to consider the medication as an option.

It's very individual. It is never as easy as taking a pill or going for a walk and a talk. Not serious depression, anyways.

tc

Depression is essentially a chemical inbalance in the brain. If you let yourself feel sa dlong enough the brain gets used to releasing the hormone in your brain that gives you the sad emotional feeling. As you body strives for Homeostasis it will continue to release the same amount even if you don't want to be sad anymore. Sunshine, staying positive, not dwelling on the negative these are some things that can reverse the effects over time without medication. Also exercise and reading anything to keep the brain occupied from the 'sad' feeling. Basically all that depression medicine does it block the receptors in the brain. I refuse to take them and I was diagnosed with clinical depression. Those are the things i did to get over it. Also soothing music, learning to play an instrument. Anything to relax and take your mind of the depression.

Different people naturally produce different amount of chemicals, and also have varying amounts of receptors.

So while I agree with most everything Sean has said, there are cases where a person does benefit and absolutely will not see progress without the proper medication.

It's a shame to me that medication has been abused so. I believe it sure has.

But it's also a shame when someone who can live a 'normal' life, with the help of the proper medication, spends years and possibly a lifetime in suffering for no reason other than poor information.

My whole point is, priorities. A pilot may not be able to fly with medication, but nor will he be able to keep his job if the depression becomes debilitating.

Anyways, best wishes to him.

Cutting out all alcohol helps. It is a depressant, and even a drink a night/a few drinks a week can alter that chemistry if someone is sensitive to it.

Fish oil also helps. There are studies about Western vs. Eastern cultures' depression rates and it is thought that the diet and amount of fish consumed influences that. It's not proven, but it makes sense to me, and I've done it in the past.

Is it possible to overcome depression without medication?...... Does anyone have any suggestions for overcoming depression without using medication?

I would say "yes" to to the first question, it is certainly possible to overcome depression without taking medication.

I think his best bet would be to ask for help through his doctor. I think it would be good for him to discuss options with his doctor as to what might be best. The doctor may recommend CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) which is a "talking / doing" therapy that aims to change and challenge negative thoughts and thinking.

This sort of therapy might very well suit him. As a pilot he is clearly fairly clever, probably fairly determined and probably a logical thinker. I think CBT could suit someone like this well, as CBT requires challenging and questioning unhelpful thoughts and behaviours, as well as testing assumptions. I would like to think I am a fairly logical person, and having done some CBT I would say it really worked for me. From my experience CBT had a lasting beneficial effect while the beneficial effect of medication goes after you stop taking it (please don't think I mean medication is not useful, because in some circumstances it is useful).

As for your friend trying out something like CBT without taking medication, studies have suggested that CBT is indeed successful so I think it's really possible he could do this. Some highlights of studies and views below:

"...cognitive behaviour therapies (CBT) are psychological treatments showing great promise for the treatment of depression, with success rates comparable to those using medication." Department of Psychiatry, Oxford.

"...Cognitive therapy ... proved to be effective treatment.. for depression." Advances in Psychiatric Treatment (2003) 9: 21-30

"How effective is CBT?

* It is one of the most effective treatments for conditions where anxiety or depression is the main problem

* It is the most effective psychological treatment for moderate and severe depression

* It is as effective as antidepressants for many types of depression"

The Royal College of Psychiatrists (the professional and educational body for psychiatrists in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland).

Finally a leaflet that might help give you more of an idea of what CBT is about link removed

Is it possible to overcome depression without medication? I have a friend who is anable to take antidepresssants due to his job (he is a pilot and is not allowed to fly if taking antidepressants). Does anyone have any suggestions for overcoming depression without using medication?

It is possible for some, impossible for others. I feel sorry for people who cannot admit to their illness because of their job. But that is life.

There is no way I could get over my depression without medication. It was born in me. I felt it in childhood, even more than as an adult. It is in my genes, and nothing can stop it but pills.

Archived