Should I help my cousins? (deadbeat parents!!)

yeontan14

So here's the situation. I have some cousins who are in some trouble. I won't get into too much detail because it involves some private stuff. But long story short, my cousins (second cousins; ages 14, 13, 9, and 8) are in a really bad household. Their parents (my first cousins) are always in between jobs, spend all their money on things they don't need, and have no money to put food on the table or keep up with their rent. They're even letting their two oldest children use marijuana. The kids also struggle with school and the eldest two have thought of running away. They are well aware their parents have problems and know they won't fix anything.

I'm extremely close with the four kids and I don't want them to go down the same path their parents have. I've been told by other family members that I should report this and have the kids taken away from the horrible household. But I'm conflicted if I should or not. Do I report it and have them sent to their grandma or risk the chance of things only getting worse for them?

Their grandma is a pretty toxic person. She's very strict, narcissistic, and manipulative. But it would take care of their school, hunger, and drug problems.. I would take them in myself but I'm only 21 and can't afford it. :(

What should I do?

I would be wary of calling the authorities too. Where I am there have been numerous deaths of children in state care and a lot of sexual and physical abuse that wouldn't have happened in their parents' homes.

Is there any way you can get your family to come together and take the kids, maybe with each cousin, aunt, or uncle taking one of the kids? That would be the only way.

I like DanZee's idea of the family working together to make a home for the kids. Maybe 1 older/1 younger in 2 different households, if that makes sense. If that's not possible, I think you should definitely call Child Protective Services, as soon as possible.

There's one more option; if the children are removed from their biological "parents", you could petition the court to be appointed as guardian. If you are a foster parent for these children you'd receive a stipend from the state for each child; you wouldn't be paying out of pocket. It would be tough, but at least they would have the hope of a future. Things look really bleak for these children as it stands now :(

Please keep us posted on what happens. I'm so grateful these children have you in their life - at least someone does truly care. You could truly change their lives here.

Is there any way you can get your family to come together and take the kids, maybe with each cousin, aunt, or uncle taking one of the kids? That would be the only way.

My family is very broken. There aren't many who would be willing. Their grandma could take them but she's a whole other bucket of worms. My mom would be more than willing but she lives close to their parents. I don't think they would want to be separated from each other either, that may only make things harder for them.

Thank you for the advice!

I like DanZee's idea of the family working together to make a home for the kids. Maybe 1 older/1 younger in 2 different households, if that makes sense. If that's not possible, I think you should definitely call Child Protective Services, as soon as possible.

There's one more option; if the children are removed from their biological "parents", you could petition the court to be appointed as guardian. If you are a foster parent for these children you'd receive a stipend from the state for each child; you wouldn't be paying out of pocket. It would be tough, but at least they would have the hope of a future. Things look really bleak for these children as it stands now :(

Please keep us posted on what happens. I'm so grateful these children have you in their life - at least someone does truly care. You could truly change their lives here.

Having them split into two would be better than separating all of them.. that may be an option.

Oh gosh, I wouldn't know the first thing about the court. But that does sound like a really good option! I'm sure it would be costly and take some time to process, right? Perhaps I can have family help with this.

I'll try and keep things updated here. I'll do whatever I can to make sure they don't end up in the wrong hands. As I'm an only child, they're like siblings to me and I would hate myself for not helping them. Thank you for your help!

Archived