To Text or Not to Text

DaisyMayPorter

I've posted about this guy "friend" before. He called me a couple of times over the last couple weeks, and every day since the week before Christmas he's been texting me. Last text was New Years Day, he texted me happy new year, then we texted throughout the day about different things. He's been the one initiating every day the last few weeks. Yesterday, he went away for a work conference for the week, so no text from him. I was thinking perhaps of texting him a quick text to mention a funny joke between us. The question is - do men want women to initiate texts? Or would I be bothering him at the conference? Yes technically right now he's my friend so it shouldn't matter, but I'm looking for something more.

Also Bewildered, I love the word "chap"!

I'm British so you have to expect a certain amount of eccentricity!

I think you are right to contact him. From what you have said I would take it as he is showing an interest in you. Besides that, if it leads to nothing other than friendship is it such a bad thing? I've always been of the opinion that you can never have too many friends. Good luck, I hope it goes well for you.

Haha, eccentricity is good! Thank you - I hope it goes well for me too! We had a nice quick text exchange on Thurs night and Fri morning, now I figured I'd just wait for him to settle in back home from the conference and contact me next. I hope it goes well. We've been friends for a long time, so it's tough!

I am not a man so I can't speak for men, but I wanted to wish you good luck and remind you to be yourself!

From a female perspective I would think he is showing interest. If he's not interested, he should be aware that he is coming off interested, and normally you don't come off that way unless you have some level of interest.

So since our exchange last week, my guy friend hasn't initiated contact, and neither have I. Yes, we've both been busy with work, but still. Should I call since he's been doing most of the initiating? Is he waiting for me to call him? Why am I afraid to call him? I hate this stuff!

As a guy, I say yes, I like when a woman (who I'm interested in) initiated contact!! Especially if I have been the one initiating most of it thus far. It reinforces interest and builds a guy's confidence to take the communication to the next level. I'm fine to ask a woman out, but it's super helpful if I have a sense that she's interested before doing so.

I hear the concern that he'll think you're just being friendly - and I don't know the details of your friendship. However, if I'm 'just friends' with a woman, we don't really engage in ongoing, regular communication unless that's been the case for years and we're REALLY good friends, but in that case, it's clear that that is all it is. Maybe that's just me - but as a guy, I don't want a woman to hold back interest. Some guys need that push to step it up (or even if they don't need it, it's not a turnoff if there's any interest). Just my 2 cents...

Thank you for your 2 cents Spainman, I appreciate it, that’s very helpful. We did have a nice text exchange on Friday that he once again initiated, and I may have to get brave and call him. We’ve been friends for a few years and he bought me little gifts a couple times but nothing ever happened, I think (I think) because we used to work together, but who knows. I recently just got a new job, so now that we aren’t working together anymore I’m hoping... but we’ll see!

Archived