Should you and can you forgive infidelity?

Brad Jhonsen

It’s terribly hard to forgive infidelity because we become vulnerable when we love someone and respond emotionally, and not just sensibly. The person who may be closest to you has failed you and led you behind the light – it is natural that it may feel hard to forgive – but not impossible – in the long run. That,s all i know

in order to forgive them if you want to continue a working relationship im assuming you want to continue the relationship you have to understand why they cheated, was it because of you or was it because of them. My ex broke up with me a month and half ago, wow already almost 2 months. i found out the next day that she cheated on me, which i consider cheating even txt messages that should on be meant for you and your partner, which she was sexting another guy. was i up set yeah was i pissed yeah, but i started thinking about the reasons she left me and how the cheating played apart of it, and no she didnt leave me for him. but she left me because i didnt give her enough attention as immature as that sounds it was the truth. I worked alot and was trying to support us and i was working extra s because i was lookout for our future. she cheated on because she felt like i was giving her enough attention, after a couple days i began to forgive her and i told her id forgiven her. because i understand why, is it right that she cheated no, but ive forgiven her because i still see a potential relationship with her. the odd thing is shes cheating on her gf with me lol. samething just txt, shes asked a couple times if im horny and said she misses the sex and weve had a couple sexual conversations over the phone. she tells me all the time she still loves me and misses me. back to what i was saying, ive been kinda angry and bitter tho i forgave her in my mind but i didnt really put it out there, me and her had a 1.5hr phone call friday morning and we talked about alot of things. one of the things that i brought up was that i feel angry and bitter that she went behind my back and was txting someone else while im at work busting balls to support us. after i said that and the rest of the day i felt amazing it was like a weight was taken off my shoulders because it was truely out there. me and her have talked nearly everyday since we broke up, we are still friends and im trying to work back to being with her becuase i do love her. my problem no is the new gf, my ex is bi btw. and my gf is planning on moving to be closer to her gf in march. we are still friends but i have a small window to bring her back.

Forgiving is good for the soul. One should try their best to forgive and avoid holding grudges as they are toxic for the soul and keep one stuck in the past. Taking back a cheater is another matter though. Unless children are involved, imo, the amount of effort and pain it takes to get over infidelity is not worth taking them back. Taking back a cheater is a huge risk, plus it is my understanding that living with the knowledge means having to undergo all kinds of toxic feelings on repeat for a long long time; anger, self-doubt, sadness, hurt. Unless children are involved, the pain and risk in taking back a cheater outweigh the benefit. And even if children are involved, it goes without saying that if it happens more than once, it should be game over.

Off topic, but I must say.

...we are still friends but i have a small window to bring her back.

Close that window!

You're trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

It will only lead to a trapped, failed union.

Get out there and just date. (Intelligent discovery)

It’s terribly hard to forgive infidelity because we become vulnerable when we love someone and respond emotionally, and not just sensibly. The person who may be closest to you has failed you and led you behind the light – it is natural that it may feel hard to forgive – but not impossible – in the long run. That,s all i know

Forgiveness is important. Whether or not you stay with them (and as others have said, it's not advisable). Forgiveness doesn't mean you forget, but it is closure and to not forgive would damage you in the long run

Infidelity is a betrayal most people think can not be forgiven until they experience it themselves and realize that it is far more complicated when you are in the situation yourself. Do you still want to be with your partner but are not sure if you will ever forgive? It is possible to proceed after such a betrayal, but that it requires some work.

I think i would forgive her ..

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The short answer is, yes. I can cite two examples:

I had a long-term (5 year) relationship with a man who cheated on me during the first 6 months of dating, I chose to forgive as ultimately he chose me and I thought we had something special. We broke up due to unrelated reasons and he didn't date anyone else after me for the ten years until he sadly passed away.

A close friend of mine had a short affair (around three months) after five years of marriage. Her husband chose to forgive her and 2o years later they have never been happier.

I suppose it depends on the strength of feelings each party has for each other. I chose not to forgive a different boyfriend for cheating as I didn't think the relationship was right for me.

Archived