Need advice regarding pregnant girlfriend

Grizz75

Hello and thanks in advance for any/all advice I can get on this topic. So to start things off, my girlfriend(24y/o) and I(28y/o) have been together for about 8 months now and were friends for almost 4 years prior to getting together. I have a daughter from a previous relationship and she has 2 daughters from her previous relationship. Our relationship was going great for the first 5 months, both of us are busy people between work and kids, however we always made sure to make time for one another. About 5 months in, we found out we were pregnant. Neither of us reacted poorly to the news, it was unexpected as we were being about as safe as you can be, but as I said we both understand the responsibilities of being parents and so unexpected or not we were both on board when we found out. Now here is where things have changed quickly... over the last month and a half or two months, she has grown increasingly distant, does not seem to want to put effort into spending time together (we do not live together yet, but had planned on moving in together by the end of this month) I always make sure that I call or text her at least once or twice during the day to ask how her day is going, if she needs anything, or simply a "good morning/evening beautiful, I hope your day has been/is going well etc etc." Anytime I try to bring up anything at all related to the relationship she has a massively short fuse and simply does not want to deal with it. Whenever I try to call or send her one of the aforementioned texts she will most often read them and not respond at all, and if she does it is usually a one word response. When we DO actually spend any sort of time together, she does not say much, does not want to be touched, hugged, kissed, anything really. The little to no contact/interest on her end can go on for a day, and even up to several days in a row. Now I do not want it to seem like I am putting myself up on a pedestal here, but I truly do try to go out of my way even now to make sure she knows i'm here for her and that I care deeply for her, and I also try to do as much as I can to take the load of everything off of her in any way I can. A few examples are, Ive sent her flowers at work as she loves that, Ive tried to surprise her with little things such as cards, cute notes, etc. Multiple times I have taken time away from work to go to HER work to do some of the heavier tasks that are occasionally required (anything physically demanding that neither of us want her doing on her own.) I will occasionally sneak over to her house while she is at work to clean up for her, do her dishes, pick up after the kids etc. Anyways I think my point is made in that department. None of the things I do for her do I expect anything in return per se, all I ever ask for is a little communication, and a little effort in our relationship. I guess I am just at a loss for what I should do here... I know she has had rough pregnancies with her other two children, and so I expect this one is no different, but it just seems like she is a completely different person and wants nothing to do with me. I truly love this woman and other than hoping for a healthy happy baby I want nothing more than for us to have an amazing relationship like we had up until now, and I would do anything for her, I am just terrified that she has fallen out of love with me, or is simply pushing and pushing in hopes that I finally have enough and leave on my own, which terrifies me . Any advice is greatly appreciated and welcomed, so as I said before thank you in advance!

Well, she IS pregnant. A lot of women go through a cycle where early in the pregnancy they don't want to be touched, all kinds of smells are repugnant, and some women say they wish they could be locked away in a room somewhere and not be bothered by anything or anyone. It may be just this. Some women report this happens for the pregnancy -- there is a fear that sex will harm the baby -- while other women report in the second or third semester things change, and suddenly they can't keep their hands off of their baby daddy. Hopefully this will happen to you. Try to hang in there.

Lets assume that she's not souring on the relationship and just assume this: I'd lay off the over-indulging for the time being if I were you. If she's in no mood to be reciprocating then your flowers and your sneaking in and cleaning for her and your over-the-top texts could be totally making her feel pressured to reciprocate when she doesn't feel the need or want to.

It could also be that she didn't want this pregnancy and the thought of having to raise three children now if your very new relationship fails is weighing heavily on her. That alone would be a burden on my mind for sure. She just might be too darn tired and has no energy to nurture the relationship. You doing more for her won't change her mood if she's dog tired which is common in the first trimester.

Anyway: I truly suggest you stop spoiling her and keep your deeds for when she's going to need them... after the baby is born.

My wife became codependent while pregnant. Totally fine after all she was pregnant.

My friend's wife became very cold and distant for most of it.

Woman can act very differently while pregnant so I wouldn't read too much into it unless there is more you see.

You two haven't been together for a long time and pregnancy will strain any relationship. So it could also be a bigger deal. Although you can't really jump to any conclusions during this hormonelly intense time.

I would try to talk with her and ask her about it. As tactfully and gently as possible...

I truly and greatly appreciate the feedback from you all, and you are all probably right. I will give her some space and just be there for her during this time if she asks for help or reaches out to me. Thank you all again, it means a lot to have the input in a truly stressful time.

I'm remembering those early months of pregnancy, the utter exhaustion and (in my case) 24 hours a day of nausea and throwing up. Add caring for 2 young children and work, and I can imagine her well is nearly empty, there is little energy for anything but the basics, brushing teeth, getting ready for another day. Try not to take it personally, she's working 3 jobs right now (growing a baby, caring for 2 young ones, and her job). Also, I think it might be wise to ask her before sneaking in and cleaning up her space. It's a nice gesture, but it is her private place, so unless you've checked to see if it is ok, it could feel invasive.

I appreciate the advice and your insight into the situation, thank you! But let me clarify the "sneaking in and cleaning" She is always aware of when I am there or stopping by, it is more the surprise of coming home to a clean house when she doesn't currently have the energy to do it herself most days. She has always expressed gratitude and thankfulness for the gesture, as well as the fact we both have keys to eachothers houses to come and go as we please. She has honestly never expressed even a remote hint of this bothering her, and as I said her reaction is always gratitude as one of her primary complaints is not having the energy to continually keep up with the house with everything else going on right now.

I appreciate the advice and your insight into the situation, thank you! But let me clarify the "sneaking in and cleaning" She is always aware of when I am there or stopping by, it is more the surprise of coming home to a clean house when she doesn't currently have the energy to do it herself most days. She has always expressed gratitude and thankfulness for the gesture, as well as the fact we both have keys to eachothers houses to come and go as we please. She has honestly never expressed even a remote hint of this bothering her, and as I said her reaction is always gratitude as one of her primary complaints is not having the energy to continually keep up with the house with everything else going on right now.

OK, thanks for clarifying.

And it that is true, then you might rethink how you are looking at this part:

all I ever ask for is a little communication, and a little effort in our relationship.

She is communicating. Right? Otherwise you wouldn't hear or feel her gratitude.

Archived