Construction noise upstairs and interviews

wai

HI All,

Im hoping one of you could answer this cuz i am running out of idea.

There is a new management at work recently at work that they are cutting budgets and laying off people. My project lead spoke to me, we are also pretty close, so i asked if my job is saved. He said we are until next year for sure. But however I started looking for a new job to be safe.

I have a phone screen interview today with Bloomberg today in an hour or so. I used to be able to work from home but the new management canceled work from home policy and forced us all to go to work. So I have to take one day off just to take the phone interview, since phone screens usually involve taking tests online. I need computer access only to take the phone interview.

But I have another problem that i'm facing. I live in a co-op apartment, people upstairs are doing construction work which also got notified 2 weeks ago. This construction work is going to take about 2 months. It is too noisy that i can't even speak on the phone. I've spoke to the super and doorman, to ask if they could be quite during the interview time. They said they will try but do not gaurauntee that they will be quite.

This is only my first phone interview, if i didn't get it to the next step in the interview process, I'm gonna have to keep taking the phone interviews. I don't have no family or relative that i could visit during the interview also. Could someone suggest me what i should do in this situation?

Some libraries have private rooms you can reserve in advance. If you're doing remote interviews, you should really invest in a half decent microphone that works well with a low sensitivity and can cancel out background noise, even construction. I likewise interview remotely for job bids and there's no absence of construction and renovation here in NYC.

Some libraries have private rooms you can reserve in advance. If you're doing remote interviews, you should really invest in a half decent microphone that works well with a low sensitivity and can cancel out background noise, even construction. I likewise interview remotely for job bids and there's no absence of construction and renovation here in NYC.

that's a great idea. I will get it today. hopefully I will get one from cyber monday sale. p

Yup, pretty much all libraries have private rooms you can reserve for yourself where you can speak on your phone, have your interviews, and have wifi access for your laptop. With something like interviews, you might want to be sure to reserve a room in advance, as sometimes it can get busy.

If you are willing to shell out a few bucks, consider places like Regus and other temp office type services. You can rent a small office or a small conference room with all the toys, tv's, internet, printers, etc, etc, etc by the hour and it's really not expensive. They are actually well equipped for remote interviews, meetings, etc. Plus they have tons of offices all over the place, so you can find something convenient for yourself and can book your time in advance online. If your first pick is booked, you can always find another location that isn't. You are guaranteed a professional environment.

Yup, pretty much all libraries have private rooms you can reserve for yourself where you can speak on your phone, have your interviews, and have wifi access for your laptop. With something like interviews, you might want to be sure to reserve a room in advance, as sometimes it can get busy.

If you are willing to shell out a few bucks, consider places like Regus and other temp office type services. You can rent a small office or a small conference room with all the toys, tv's, internet, printers, etc, etc, etc by the hour and it's really not expensive. They are actually well equipped for remote interviews, meetings, etc. Plus they have tons of offices all over the place, so you can find something convenient for yourself and can book your time in advance online. If your first pick is booked, you can always find another location that isn't. You are guaranteed a professional environment.

I don't mind spending money for this. It's actually a very great idea since I don't want to take more day off just to take interveiws. I rather just step out for an hour or two to do that. I will look it up and see if i can rent an office like this near my work

I don't mind spending money for this. It's actually a very great idea since I don't want to take more day off just to take interveiws. I rather just step out for an hour or two to do that. I will look it up and see if i can rent an office like this near my work

If Regus is not around where you are, google virtual offices or executive offices, that should get you to these types of services in your area. Also, be sure to scout out the location before your interview. Some are nicer than others, some you might need to set up internet connections/accounts in advance so allow time for that. Once you are using the location more regularly, you don't need the extra time anymore and can show up when booked and be ready to go. I personally use Regus often since I have meetings all over different cities. I like them because usually their offices are very nice and booking is very easy. I did have to go to a local one to create the account though. Granted that was ages ago and I'm not sure if you still need to do that or if you can set it all up online now.

If Regus is not around where you are, google virtual offices or executive offices, that should get you to these types of services in your area. Also, be sure to scout out the location before your interview. Some are nicer than others, some you might need to set up internet connections/accounts in advance so allow time for that. Once you are using the location more regularly, you don't need the extra time anymore and can show up when booked and be ready to go. I personally use Regus often since I have meetings all over different cities. I like them because usually their offices are very nice and booking is very easy. I did have to go to a local one to create the account though. Granted that was ages ago and I'm not sure if you still need to do that or if you can set it all up online now.

found one Regus location near my work. Thank you so much. This is very helpful.

I'm going to have to book a room for the next interview.

Archived