Ways to deal with a workplace drama queen?

bat man

I have a co-worker who tends to misconstrue things people say, and gets 'worked up' for insignificant matters. Whenever she is in a conflict with someone and gets called into a meeting, she tends to overtalk the other person to make sure she gets heard. She seems to yearn for attention/drama. Otherwise she is a good employee who does her work, yet she refuses to take on any additional work, even if she has time.

I have read several articles on this topic already, but I would appreciate the advice of this board as well.

You treat here like you would with any other porch dog

Ignore her. Do not converse with the said-cretin. Only keep professional conversations and worry about your own business. She will get what is coming her way soon for opening her mouth to the wrong person.

Yeah, avoid. I have one of these at my work-place. I do not engage in convo's that are not work related with her. Which means, we really never have convo's because she works on a different team. I'm always polite, say hello and good morning when I see her, but I keep on walking by so that I don't put myself in a situation were social conversation might happen. At first, she took offense to my lack of attention. Now she is used to it, I guess.

You don't say that she's a malcontent or pessimist, therefore there's no reason to avoid her. Take her vocal self-advocacy as an expression that she's volunteering to lead the next situation that she's expressing passionately about. The reasons that things don't get done is that the next action isn't specified, or no individual is associated with that action. The next time she expounds on something, speak up and identify her as the volunteer for that next action. It's a win-win. She does the task or she shuts up going forward. Either way, the organizaiton and its clients are well served.

Archived