Is it awful of me to dislike my sisters?!

Oliviaa

I'm 18 and a middle child, with my sisters being 20 and 15. I suppose we are just different people forced together under one roof (although my sister is at Uni, though she hates it and lives at home every weekend). I feel absolutely awful for admitting that I don't like them.

My two sisters are very clique and often gang up on me and leave me out. My mother tries to stop them, but it makes it worse as they just blame me for being the "golden" child who my parents favour the most (I get along really well with my mum, as we have similar personalities etc). My mother says its just jealousy (older sister is incredibly clever but has been having weight issues and my younger sister is very pretty but isn't academic at all). I'm fortunately in the middle.

Sisters ought to get along, love one and other as they're related by blood but we are just so different, and have different views and opinions on life. I feel so bad to say that when I grow up, I' want very little to do with them am I being awful and does anybody else share a similar problem?

It's not awful of you. It seems like something you can't avoid. If your mother is right and it isn't because of jealousy, then what would the reason be? It could be simply because it's just what they know. Or, how do you speak to them? Are you nice to them, or very indifferent? How you interact with them could also be a basis for their attitudes towards you.

It's still to early to say you don't want very little to do with them in the future... I feel like that about my siblings many times too, but I also realize that they're my siblings, and I don't want to lose them no matter what, hehe.

It may change as you guys get older. Personalities change, people mature, you never know. I don't like my brother at all and I'm 27 and he's 44. He doesn't treat people well, I don't approve of his parenting and many other views. I love him because he's my brother, but I would not choose to interact with him. I hope you guys don't end up that way. I'm extremely close to my sister (she's 33) and it means so much to me.

• 1 month later...

You don't have to love or get along with someone just because you're related to them.

Take my stepsisters - Kate and Brenda - for example. They're both much older than me and always had a volitile relationship, where the older Brenda would severely bully Kate and generally make her life miserable. Kate never stood up for herself, but when the manipulative and horrid behaviour spilled into adulthood she simply cut ties.

Brenda is an all around horrible person, and her sister has no relationship with her whatsoever.

Just an example, but long story short: there's nothing wrong with how you feel.

For me, "family" doesn't equal "free pass to be a jerk". Its not awful of you, sometime family can be jerks and you have every right to respond emotional as you would to anyone else in the world who behaves badly.

It might change as you get older. I have a sister who I did not get along with at all for 90% of my life. But she just had a baby and that little guy has brought my family together in such an amazing way!

On the other hand it could never change. In that case you just have to be civil for the sake of your parents.

Archived