Can coffee create or worsen acid reflux?

My boyfriend has acid reflux and has no problems with coffee and he enjoys it.. completely black too!. However, I know others who have difficulty with it.

I too am an avid coffee drinker and I would be so sad if I couldn't have my coffee. Basically, if YOU personally find that it worsens acid reflux (or any other condition you may have) then stop it. If it doesn't seem to have any effect, then I wouldn't punish yourself by cutting it just because other people have had problems but you haven't.

Coffee definitely worsened my acid reflux. Even lattes (where acid espresso is mixed with milk) would burn my stomach. I weaned myself off coffee last year and switched to tea and my stomach loves me for it. I still find the aroma of coffee to be intoxicating, but when I'm tempted to have a cup I just drink more tea instead.

If you struggle with anxiety (which I do as well) there are better reasons to quit coffee than just its association with acid reflux. Do a bit of Googling on "Anxiety and caffeine"--you'll see lots of reports showing a direct association between caffeine consumption and anxiety disorders. I go through periods where I struggle with panic attacks, high blood pressure, etc, and cutting out caffeine always helps reduce these symptoms.

Certain brands of coffee seem to exacerbate my acid reflux and others don't seem to affect it much. Hills Brothers and Maxwell House KILL my stomach, as do most "flavored" coffees. Some of the flavored creams do too. Dunkin Donuts and 8 O'Clock don't seem to be quite as bad. Freshly ground beans rarely do, either.

See I can't do DD's as much as I love their taste, it's too acidic for me. It's about moderation really if you have any stomach issues, coffee in general are very acidic drink much like beer and soda.

Personally I drink Kinetic Koffee, very smooth It's so good I had convinced one of our good friend who owns a restaurant to switch their coffee line. Try it...easy on the stomach especially with the French Konnexion.

• 4 weeks later...

Medically coffee does worsen acid reflux and is contraindicated in people with severe reflux. It also worsens anxiety and raises the blood pressure. Coffee isn't bad if consumed in moderate amounts so I think you should just cut down on coffee to once a day for your health.

Archived