"Just Friends" Dilemma

Guarneri

Hi, I’m new on this board. I went out with a girl several times over an extended period of time, but we never exactly defined whether we were dating or not. She finally told me (to my dismay) that she’d rather we be friends. But we already had made plans to see each other again, and went ahead with it, and it went better than any previous time we had been together (from my point of view, anyway). Afterwards I sent her a message saying that I respected her feelings but explaining my feelings for her. She responded that she was touched by what I said and wasn't sure what to do next. Nothing has happened since then. Should I wait for her to make another move? I wouldn’t feel right asking her out again, especially since I suspect we're both are of the opinion that a man and a woman who are only friends should not go out together. Have any guys out there been told “Let’s just be friends”, and eventually overcame it?

If she said let's be friends then keep it that way. She told you that the first time because she didn't want to lead you on. Maybe she was being nice to go on a date with you because you both had already planned it. But if you are confused maybe she is as well, you could always invite her to go out with a few of your friends and her friends as well. Take her out with a crowd so its not a "date" if you notice she is giving you alot of one on one time, then she could have changed her mind. If she seems much happier in the crowd then this is probably the sign that being just friends is all she wants.

It just means she either doesn't find you attractive or feels she doesn't click with you. If she wanted more from you she wouldn't have dropped the just friends line in the first place. Don't sweat it or look into it too much and move on. She could always change her mind down the road anyway.

I;m in the same position, but have not gotten the nerve to ask.. do you want to be just friends or do you want more?

I have been seeing this guy for a few months now.. we get along great, but he never asks me on a date, we just out"...

I have never been aggravated or frustrated in my life... You can read my posts on the shy people forum here and see my dilemma...

I am afraid if a girl says that though, that is all she usually wants to be. At least that is how I am.. she could be different but... I KNOW how aggravating this is...

Try dating some other girls in the meantime. These type of people usually just waste alot of your time when it comes to dating.... Good luck to ya though....

I guess the situation is a bit more complex than I let on in the original post. You see, this girl and I share a deep connection with each other in terms of interests, religious beliefs, and personality traits (including that we are both on the shy, introverted side), and have formed quite a special relationship. It's not as if we just went out a few times and she decided that we didn't click. The fact is I like her so much that I can’t bring myself to believe that we could never be more than friends. My dilemma is not knowing how to proceed from here, but I guess there’s nothing for me to do but wait and pray. It has occurred to me to try dating other girls but I’m not very good at meeting people and it causes me a great deal of effort and stress.

Archived