Does sunlight exposure damage babies' eyes so that they will need glasses?

Human beings are not nocturnal creatures and are meant to go out into the sun. In fact, without sufficient sun, you lack vitamin D which is required to survive.

Sun damage occurs to eyes only after years and years of extensive exposure, unless someone looks directly into the sun for hours on end every day.

It does make sense to have children wear sunglasses when they are out for long periods in sunny situations and around water since it reflects sunlight, since the damage is cumulative over a lifetime. But it is nothing to worry excessively about.

Most strollers have shades that serve as sunglasses do, and unless your kid is at the beach or on the water, I wouldn't worry about it.

Babies need UV protection for their eyes just like adults do. Make sure the sunglasses have that. If they do, then he should be fine. Of course his skin needs protection too!

Oh we definitely have to take care of his skin as he inherited both of our fair skin. My partner made the comment that too much direct sunlight exposure can hurt their eyes causing them to need glasses when they are older, like 5 to 10. Is this true? I tried to google it but didnt come up with anything.

Oh we definitely have to take care of his skin as he inherited both of our fair skin. My partner made the comment that too much direct sunlight exposure can hurt their eyes causing them to need glasses when they are older, like 5 to 10. Is this true? I tried to google it but didnt come up with anything.

Well that might be a little overstated. Too much sun exposure can cause eye issues long term but I haven't seen anything indicating a correlation between the sun and eyeglasses at ages 5-10. Nearsightedness is so common I can't imagine they could pinpoint it to something like the sun.

Well that might be a little overstated. Too much sun exposure can cause eye issues long term but I haven't seen anything indicating a correlation between the sun and eyeglasses at ages 5-10. Nearsightedness is so common I can't imagine they could pinpoint it to something like the sun.

ok..good. I love to sit with him outside and we always use hats and keep his face in the shade. Now he's got his sexy little shades! lol My bf just freaks out about the sun because he doesnt want it to hurt his eyes.

Archived