High Blood pressure advice

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one, I went to the doctors today just for a check up and my blood pressure was really high. She said not t0o worry about it but I am. I have a check up every 6 weeks because I am trying to lose weight normally my blood pressure is fine.

I have lost 3 stone and have 3+ still to go but my blood pressure today was higher that before i started deiting it was 137/105 that seems awful high!!

Does anyone know what it actually means?

Sugar xx

Blood pressure is very variable based on stress and things like caffeine and salt for some people.

So if you had a cup of coffee or tea before getting it measured, it will be high. Or if you are stressed or didn't get enough rest it could be high. Or ate a lot of salt the day before.

If you lose the weight, it will return down into the normal range. Also lay off caffeine for a while and see if that helps. Some dietary supplements and herbal supplements and medication can raise blood pressure as well, so be careful what you take.

Blood pressure changes throughout the day etc, age and weight and medications will also affect it. Your systolic the upper number is a bit high, your diasotolic, the lower number is probably the more telling here, and it IS high. If she told you to not worry about it and she is monitoring it then I would listen to her. The normal adult pressure is about 120/80.

Well I am not a dr and I do not know your circumstances, but that is a bit high blood pressure is affected by SO many things, foods, drugs, ones age, genetics, weight. The systolic pressure is the highest pressure in the arteries, and the diastolic is the lowest pressure in the arteries. So your resting pressure in the cardiac rhythm is high.

Well if she is monitoring it regularly, then she has a more true measurement. You need more than one reading on one day to determine if there is an issue, unless it is sky high. Mine for instance is pretty low, normally it is 105/70, so if mine falls too low then I am no longer verticle.......lol

If you are really worried, you can buy a home blood pressure monitoring device, one that goes on your wrist and you can check your b.p. at home.

But if you are still overweight, that could explain the higher b.p. Why not just continue on your good choice and lose the weight, and your pressure should return to normal. It is only when you have high blood pressure over longer time periods that serious damage is done, so since you are young, if you lose the weight, you should be fine.

also, if you want to have a baby, high blood pressure in pregnancy can be quite serious, so best to get the weight off now before you get pregnant.

Yes, if you have high blood pressure than get pregnant it can leads to Toxemia. I think it is true too if you have really low pressure it is made worse by pregnancy. When I was pregnant, my blood pressure was like 97/60 and I spent 3 months in bed because if I went to get up I would literally fall on my face, because I did not have enough pressure to keep me upright.

A diagnosis of mild hypertension is made when blood pressure is sustained above 140/90 (i.e. it's above those limits every time it's taken) but medication won't be offered unless your BP is sustained above 160/100 (diagnosed hypertension). It's acceptable to have a systolic of 100 plus your age, so at 28 having a systolic of 137 is not a major concern, which is why your doctor isn't worrying.

The diastolic reading is a little higher but, again, nothing to worry about. High blood pressure is only a risk factor for other problems and with yours at the level it's at it remains low risk. You're doing all of the right things so try not to get too anxious about it.

I had high BP too. But found out

1) Don't get it read in the AM...coffee, running around getting my son on the bus, then getting it checked is NO GOOD! LOL!

2) Try to have the appointment about the same time in the day...it changes morning to afternoon.

3) Get rid of any stressful thoughts en route. Relax.

4) Tell your Dr. if you are taking any meds. I had taken allergy meds when it was high.

I lowered it 20 points last time.

Archived