1 in 4 people self-injure- !!!?

girl friend

That was an average estimation of dozen's of shrink's,

and it referred to self-injury alone. (As in cutting, drawing blood, etc.) Not alcoholism, twisting hair (trichotrilomaina) etc, that all falls under the category self-harm but self-injury refers exclusively to the sort of thing we usually end up talking about on here.)

Also it was based on the clients they see, and a disproportionate number of clients are young people these days.

Also remember it was just an estimate.

I think its a pretty good estimate myself though.

That was an average estimation of dozen's of shrink's,

Well really shouldn't that read "1 in 4 psychiatrist's patients self injure" ?

I think such a statement is really quite meaningless without a definition of self injury. I mean if someone does it once in their life does that count? What level of injury do they need to cause before it is counted, a scratch, a pin p r i c k, a deep cut?

The statement is almost meaningless.

Almost mb,but not totally. Still worrying

I heard about it when i was a kid, but not so much as now. not nearly so much. Mb people jsut didnt talk about it. Suffered in silence. Thought they were freaks without this sorta place to turn to? Mb it wasn't recognised as a problem? or as serious?

Meh.... You're not going to get an accurate number on that. If you ask psychiatrists, then your results wll be skewed because they're only getting people that already admit that they have a problem. If you just show up at a school and ask, your results will be off because too many people are reluctant to admit to it.

Hell.. Out of the 6 or so good friend that I have, only one that I can think of has never done it, and only 3 dont' do it anymore.

Archived