HELP!birth control pills and no condom

just a quick question that i would LOVE some replies too.

i started birth control pills (alesse21) a little over 2 weeks ago. ive been very good about taking them at the exact same time every day. in the past couple days ive had some light bleeding ... could it be my period?

also my bf and i had unprotected sex last nite, i wasnt bleeding that badly so we thought it would be okay. he pulled out before he came.... but is there a chance something could have gone wrong? even tho ive been good about taking the pills? (the doctor told me that its affective 7 days after taking it)

any advice would be great. !!! thanks guys.

Hi tanned,

It is normal to have some "breakthrough" bleeding the first month or two after starting birth control pills. Keep and eye on it and if it becomes quite heavy or if you are having bad cramps with it, or if it continues after this month, call your gyn.

You should also use a back up method or birth control for the first month while you are taking the pill. I would not trust the 7 day thing, it takes awhile for your body to stabilize hormone levels. You wouldn't want to take the chance, would you?

Also, hopefully you and your bf have been tested for STD's, like HIV, gonorrhea, chlamydia, herpes, HPV, many of which can carry no outward symptoms, but can destroy your fertility and stay with you for life. Protect yourself against more than pregnancy, it's important!!

Good luck!

As far as I know, it's normal to have some light bleeding the first month of taking the pill, as your body gets used to the hormonal changes.

Now I am NOT a doctor and if you are concerned, phone a pharmacist and ask. It won't hurt to ask.

I also take the pill and the most important thing is to take it at the same time everyday so you don't ovulate. I wouldn't worry that you are pregnant. You should get your period at the end of the month when you are either not taking any pills for 7 days, or taking the 'dummy' pills.

And by the way, do take the pill at the same time everyday not only for pregnancy's sake. That little warning that says, "if you miss a pill, take it as soon as you remember and then take the next dosage at the regular time," doesn't mention the extreme nausea that will ensue that day.

I forgot to take mine on Friday so took 2 pills on Saturday evening...by 3 am I was up puking and sweating and felt like I had an extreme case of the flu...it messes your hormones up so definitely don't miss any pills ahah!

Shawna

I think you should really call your doctor about bleeding. when i was on BC I didn't have bleeding like that unless I had missed a pill.

It could very well be normal for the pills you are taking, but either way, the doctor is the only one that could answer that question.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting pregnant really, as he pulled out, plus you haven't missed your pills...

Everyone is different,so not everyone experiences the same side effects.Light bleeding is normal when you start taking the pills but it happens usually during the 3 first months,after that you can experience bleeding only if you miss a pill.So,as long as its not a heavy bleeding and you have no pain,then its normal.

Also,there are a lot of different brand of pills and they all work differently.My doctor told me that I should have protected sex only the first week of taking them cause after that the pills become effective.

hey its normal to see a little bleeding when you take birth control pills....im on birth contrl too, not on the pills but on the patch and it works...BUT ALWAYS WEAR A CONDOM WHEN DOING IT!!! the patch ONLY protects you from getting pregnant NOT from any diseases..so be careful next time.....[/b]

If you will read your directions it clearly states that you must not have unprotectd sex for the first month that you are on them because they aren't effective. Second, even if you are on birth control that is not keeping you from contracting an STD. Serious stuff. Even if both of you get checked some things don't pop up in your system for months, even years! Third again read the directions, they weren't just trying to find a way to waste paper when they wrote them, they will answer all of your questions. There is occasional spotting when you first get on b.c. does not mean that it is your period. Your period comes when you take the other colored pills- can be green pink, whatever the one week color is. Also I was got pregnant when I was on the pill used a condom and pulled out. Go figure right? I am totally serious. Nothing is 100% effective except not having sex! Take it from someone that knows all too well.

not to be rude, but im not stupid. i cant go back and then use protection... and i did read my directions carefully. it said 7 days ... not a month. i was just asking for advice . not to be shut down and told that what i did was stupid. i know its not 100% ... i was just wondering if it was my period. now i know that it is.. thanks for your... uhh... help

Ok look tanned. Not only was I not rude, but I was trying to make you know how serious this stuff is. I was not "shutting you down". This is totally serious stuff. And no, no birth control is 100% effective 7 days after use. It is like 70% and then the second week it goes up to like 78% and the third 84% and then 99% the fourth week. I know that you can't go back into time, but if you knew beforehand you wouldn't have done it. This is an adult thing, and an adult converation, I am sorry that you can't handle what I had to say.

Not to mention that your original question was if you can have a early period, and I explained that on the directions it clearly states that you will have spotting during the first month. Doesn't mean that it's your period.

What you mean is that you got your period early while on the pill? is that possible? I mean,I didnt know that could happen,one of the main points of the pill is to have your period at around the same time every month.Have you talked to your doctor about it? Well,I think you should,just in case you know.