MAJOR Future Decision! Need ANY Advice

mrtumus

Thank you for taking time out to read my question. I am stuck with making a big decision and perhaps some insight from another perspective could help me make the appropriate decision.

A year ago I had PTSD from a traumatic event and when the anniversary of the event approached I attacked my bf at the time thinking he was the one associated with the traumatic event. The school took severe action and expelled me from the university. No criminal charges were in place.

Due to the expulsion on my transcript I have become very worrisome of my future career plan. My initial plan was medical school but upon intenese research I have come to realize that due to the expulsion on my record my chances of getting into any medical profession are VERY VERY slim. I have completed 3 years of college and have 1- 1 1/2 year left until I receive my bachelors. I took a year off from college to receive treatment for my PTSD and am now applying to colleges to return back to school.

I got into a college which has a pre engineering program. You stay in the college I was accepted to for 2 years and complete a BA in any major there as well as the pre requisites for engineering than if you meet a certain GPA you apply to get into an engineering program at an EXCELLENT TOP TOP university in NY. A university that I have allways wanted to attend.

Cons are that I would have to put in 4 extra years for my bachelors. In addition to the 3 I have already put into from the school I was expelled from.

Pros I can start all over and this expulsion will be ignored. I can try to pursue medcine with thsi expulsion but chances are I will not get into any medical school and will have to start from aquare one and do another feild of study. Overall there is a chance I will have to start all over and chane my feild of study so might as well do it now right?

Therapy is great....but admitting you had it on an application ad becoming a dr. Who would be stressed in many situations....don't think you would get malpractice insurance if you made it all the way through med school.

i agree putting it on my application won't help me in any way. Perhaps changing majors is ideal

Go with the engineering school. You'll get a fresh start and that profession as a whole is less stressful anyways. People go back to school all the time and/or have to start over anyways, so you may as well join the crowd so to speak and go for it. Don't think of it as a door closing on you, think of it as a new one opening.

And your career planning sounds excellent and I'm glad to hear you're doing better too. Best of luck in all your future endeavors.

Archived