Is it just me or christmas time is depression time for me.

Massari

As I am sitting behind my PC thinking and listening to my music this thought came to me. What is the point of living (not that I am thinking suicide or anything .. no) my life seems boring. No excitement.

It has been worst before where I was in a situation with no job and no school. I finished my first semester now at college right now. Good grades (still room for improvements. I recently found a job at a Samsung electronic store. The pay is ok ($9/hour) . I am working everyday now until my christmas break is over. So its good money

I wake up at 8. go to work at 9:30 and I get there at 9:45. I stay there until 7 PM. I call my mother she picks me up. I have fun at work (great ppl) and I am a good sales person. I come home watch some TV go online check my email. I am usually too tired to go out or anything after my work. I have a few good close friends (3) we usually hang out together.

They always call me and ask me if I wanna do something after work but I am so tired that I don't do anything. fridays I go out to smoke shisha ( hooka). I have always found christmas time to be so depressing for me for some reason, now i am not Christian but I live in Canada thereforeeee its a big deal here. I am Persian but our new year is coming and I still find it depressing mainly because I don't want to go to any parties cause I know I might see my ex(s).

I was just wondering why do we live? what is the point of this rutin? make money and all. I am not happy at all! I went to doctor to check for depression when I broke up with my ex 7 months ago but there was nothing wrong with me since i didn't lose appetite and I sleep normally.

anyone else been in this situation?

Yes I used to wonder all the time what the point of life was. Well truthfully it's meaningless until you add meaning to it. And we do through work, friends, families, etc. Figure out what you want to accomplish in life, you say you're good at sales, study marketing or something along those lines (unless you have it all figured out then ignore me). Pursue an enjoyable career, marry someone you love, and then enjoy your friends and family.

Also if you think you're depressed, see about taking an anti-depressant. Meds can really help.

Thank you jetta. YOu know I figured out a little what my issue is. Its how I think sometimes. I found that my mind is so powerful in my moods. I could try making myself feel good about me by thinking that I am a successful person. But then somehow I end up saying stop lying you know you are not all that. I guess my question is how do I start self talking, or self teaching to be happy if thats possible at all

Make it a point to make someone else smile everyday if you can. YOu will see that life suddenly takes a more interesting turn.

I said this on a similar thread today.....the more you give of yourself to others the more life isn't as boring or unfulfilling. Try it. When you make someone else smile you can't help but smile yourself....it is impossible NOT to smile and feel good if making someone else feel good.

I honestly think that a lot of people who suffer from mild depression, not clinical depression, become that way because they are unfulfilled and think the way to fulfillment is self gratification. It's not. UNself gratification will get you to a better state of mind the fastest.

It is the most depressing time of the year for me. I have recently been coping with a break up with the love of my life so it is even more depressing. I too just find myself wondering what the point of life is and I still don't know what it is Im soo depressed.

Thank you jetta. YOu know I figured out a little what my issue is. Its how I think sometimes. I found that my mind is so powerful in my moods. I could try making myself feel good about me by thinking that I am a successful person. But then somehow I end up saying stop lying you know you are not all that. I guess my question is how do I start self talking, or self teaching to be happy if thats possible at all

i had a hard time accepting myself for not living up to my image of success also. between not knowing what to do with myself, not having any friends, never having a girlfriend, i've been down on myself plenty. this christmas seems a little better for me. i didn't even notice some of the christmas lights.

its true what they say about finding hobbies, or something your passionate about. i don't think i'll learn to "teach myself to be happy" rather i concentrate on things i want to do or accomplish. my latest buzz is learning real estate investment, and my goal is retiring in 15 years. its not a get rich quick scheme. between reading books on investment, my day job, looking for my first house, and looking for a new job, haven' t had too much time to think about lack of social life or direction.

the book "retire young retire early" says the old paradigm of going to school, finding a good secure, stable job, and retirement doesn't exist anymore. i know i stopped putting so much pressure on myself to find a nice job with a good income, or attending the most prestigous graduate school. i'll continue to find ways to improve myself like perhaps going for an mba later part time at a less prestigous university.

Archived