I have been through a couple of break ups, and went automatically in NC. I simply refused to speak to someone who hurt me that way. I think that the hardest thing for me was that NC made me unaware of what he was doing. That meant that during the worst break up I didn't even want to go into town for shopping alone, normally I'd know where he was, but now I risked seeing him.

Having written this, I can see how many of my past problems come down to some insane control-urge

Arwen

Hey there,

I am with arwen on this one. Anyone whom hurt me in anyway, I refused to speak to. I am just too dang stubborn and have too much pride. In the past during NC, the hardest part was wondering if the ex was with someone new and if so, what did she have that I did not.

The hardest thing is overcoming the urge to want to talk to her.

Also, it's quite difficult when I do run into her and she'll say things that make it even more difficult, i.e. "I was wondering how long it would take you to notice me" with a huge smile on her face

I guess it's better to have an ex be mean then nice to you. I mean when there is niceness you feel more of the need for that attention compared to when they are total jerks lol

Well, them being mean makes it easier to justify the end of the relationship. If they're nice you start wondering why things went wrong and incorrectly start thinking it was all your own fault (which is pretty much never true). So yeah, sometimes jerkiness can be easier to reconcile.