how to quit smoking

well, i have no more excuses, since braking up with my girlfriend

i asked her to quit with me but she didnt want to, we pretty much lived together so i couldnt bring myself to quit and have someone smoking a pack a day next to me.

i have been smoking around a pack a day for 9 years now, i dont want to be able to say i smoked a pack a day for a whole deccade, so its time to quit

anyone know of any good systems?

i dont want to quit cold turky, think that will be horible for me, and at this point in life i need some kind of plan to follow, also hoping it will give me some sense of achievment

any and all help will be greatly appriciated.

I went from a pack a day to nothing.

after you get over detox its fine.

I think the thing that helped me was I had a new bf and we spent every waking moment together (and most nights) and he HATED the smoking, so seeing as I had a good excuse, and a completely new shedule (it was the school holidays) it was easy...

My bf smokes and i admit to the odd sneaky cig when Im drinking

As you can see from my signature I just quit (again!!!!). The last time I quit was for 6 weeks (then went on a drinking weekend on the Gold Coast) & the time before that was for 6 years (then my wife & I split).

I've gone cold turkey this time & its been reasonably ok actually. Was a bit light headed for first 3 or 4 days, which is about norm for me but so far all good. I've only quit because I needed an excuse & my GF wanted to give up.

Good luck!!!!!

Cold turkey, the only way to go. Any other method simply continues the nicotine habit. But ct cuts the cord right away. The first month is horrible, but after that your life will start to come back together.

The worst thing about quitting smoking, you seem to have alot more free time! Before if I was bored, I'd just light up, but now I have to search for something to do...thank the gods for video games

Cold turkey, the only way to go. Any other method simply continues the nicotine habit. But ct cuts the cord right away. The first month is horrible, but after that your life will start to come back together.

Actually with the patch, it helps wean one off without the bad side effects of going cold turkey its a 3 step, 9 week process. Alot of people (such as my bf) Who couldnt do it cold turkey has had alot of progress with the patch.

I don't smoke and never have. However I did once have to quit prescription meds that I was addicted to.

I tapered off gradually over several months. It was easy that way.

It worked like this. I made a goal to use lightly less per day for a week. Then, the following week. slightly less yet. So each each I'd do the same every day that week, but the following week, I'd be reduced a bit more. Over a period of several months, I was off it completely and have been for about 4 or 5 years now.

It requires some self discipline at the first two or three days of each week as your body is complaining of not getting it's full dose of drug. However, by 4th or 5th day that week, you're used to the lower dose. Then, the next week it all starts over again with the next reduction. It's relatively easy to do, if you can just stick to the plan and get through the first 2 or 3 days of each week. I'd call this 2 parts planning, and 1 part character. It's a lot easier than cold turkey and a lot safer too. Stopping any drug cold turkey can be dangerous, as well as miserable.

That should work for cigs to.

My Doc urges me to quit smoking each time I am in for my yearly physical. Right now I take meds for borderline high BP, but he says if I quit smoking that it is very likely I can come off the BP meds.

I have lost 20 pounds and that has helped the BP to an extent but the stopping smoking is probably the main key at this point.

I am finding it very hard to stop this time. I have quit in the past with no problem but right now it seems very difficult. The darn cigs dont even taste good to me anymore, but I find myself continuing to light up. ](*,)

I have this feeling also that if I quit smoking that I will gain the 20 lbs back , plus some.

i pretty much have my mind set on quitting, my only dilema right now is when to do it. my brake up is still pretty fresh and i am worried that quitting now will just add insult to injury.

do you guys think i should wait until i heal some or am i just making excuses for my self again?

i pretty much have my mind set on quitting, my only dilema right now is when to do it. my brake up is still pretty fresh and i am worried that quitting now will just add insult to injury.

do you guys think i should wait until i heal some or am i just making excuses for my self again?

I reckon when you put your healing plan into action then include quitting in there aswell. Replace smoking with self-improvement (excercise etc). Work on getting your mental side of things right first