I suck at guitar, too... :(

I hope you don't hate me after I say this, but... you're just looking for attention. Your YouTube video shows you obviously don't suck; I can see it, and I know you can see it. You know you don't suck, so stop saying it. Either you're deaf, or you're looking for attention; I know you're not deaf, so the latter is true.

Let's say I'm totally wrong, and you truly think you suck (which I'm personally doubting)? Then you're really blinding yourself with your own mind! Thinking that to not "suck" is "to be as good as Vai, or Van Halen, or Paul Gilbert." ? That's not true. What you're doing, is like Johnny Depp saying he's ugly, just because he isn't Brad Pitt. That's insane. lol!

The more you negatively compare yourself to "the greats" the more you'll hold yourself back from moving forward; you'll give up every time. What sucks... is your poor, negative attitude of yourself!

Stop whining! And be happy you can play a nice song for a girl one day! Isn't that enough? It is for me. I can play guitar, and I can see you're better than I with the jazz soloing; I just fool around with some basic chords, and play some light 'emotional, love' type songs. That's good enough for me, since I like playing for a girl I like, and she likes it also.

Stop trying to be like "the greats", start accepting where you're at right now, and look how you can use what you know now to your advantage.

Sorry if this was somewhat harsh, but you need a wake up call my friend! Wake up!

• Like 1

I am a jazz saxophone player who might be going off to music school in New York City soon, so I figured I'd give my 2 cents.

CG- I don't know what style of music you are looking to excel in, but if you want to become great at your craft, you have to do more than noodle around and jam. At the very very least, transcribe recordings from artists you like, and study what they have done. But much of what will boost your improvement over time is just practicing the fundamentals, the basics as much as you can, while also finding time to jam and gig around. There has to be a balance. Too much of one isn't good if you want to become a great player who understand what is going on.

As it has been said before, you have to make sacrifices. I have done it, professionals have, and most certainly the Greats. One sacrifice is me posting less on this forum. While you are surfing the web, posting threads and doing whatever, some other guitar player is practicing.

• Like 1