I had no idea - Pregnancy stuff

BornToResist

Hey guys I just wanted to pass on some of this info I got at this pregnancy class I went to last night that I had NO IDEA about.

They talked a whole lot about car seats, and they told us some things that are SO UNSAFE but I never would have known.

There's all those things at the baby stores they try to get you to buy that really are unsafe. First of all they said those mirrors you buy to put in the back seat so you can see your baby...those are a big no-no. They said the only ones that are OKAY are the Eddie Bauer ones that can flex and fold. You don't want to get into a crash and have your kid go face-first into a mirror, or have one get projected around your car.

Secondly, they sell all those extra things to put IN carseats. They have those headrests that are supposed to keep your baby's head from bouncing around. They said these are horrible because they will sag and get behind the baby's neck and cause spinal damage. And more importantly, they void anything regarding insurance agencies because this wasn't OK'd by the manufacturer and you basically just screwed yourself. Carseats sometimes come with head-rest things but these are okay because they were tested and OK'd by the manufacturer.

They say all those "baby wing" things are horrible too (the things that go in the carseat to protect your baby's shoulders) because they prevent the carseat from working correctly. Also those "seat protectors" you put in your car are supposedly a bad idea because most of the time they make the seat more slippery and dangerous.

They also said to have all your baby's information on the side of the carseat. They had a case where a babysitter was driving a child around and she was killed. They had no idea who the baby belonged to or how to contact anyone. They suggested writing your baby's name, your name, your address, any medical information, and another contact person's name on an orange piece of paper and sticking it on the side just in case.

That's it. Just wanted to pass the information along because I had NO IDEA about any of this stuff. I just registered for my baby shower and had a bunch of this crap on there but I went and took it off.

Anyways hopefully this wasn't a useless post, lol! I found it very interesting and as a first time mom-to-be, I feel much better.

Did they also go into stats on how many baby seats actually get installed properly? It's a very alarming number as well, it's simply not enough to throw a lap belt on and call it done like I've seen in so many cars. The tether strap forms a completely necessary function on a baby seat and not attaching it correctly can result in a baby being crushed by a pivoting seat.

Did they also go into stats on how many baby seats actually get installed properly? It's a very alarming number as well, it's simply not enough to throw a lap belt on and call it done like I've seen in so many cars. The tether strap forms a completely necessary function on a baby seat and not attaching it correctly can result in a baby being crushed by a pivoting seat.

Yeah actually they did...they said 9 out of 10 are either used incorrectly or installed incorrectly.

They were very dedicated individuals and had started a check-point thing where you can call them and they'll check your carseat for free, which I'm going to do definently. But they said they only saw 3 people in their entire time of doing it that knew how to install the carseats correctly.

It's alarming and very scary. I sat there for an hour and listened to them and I still don't feel confident enough to do it myself. I'm going to get the base of my car seat installed and never take it out just to be on the safer side.

Defiantely the type where the base stays in the car is the way to go (I'm not even sure if you can buy the other types any more, but perhaps you can). The last seat we bought (last year) was one that is both front and read facing, it gets reinstalled in the correct orientation depending on the age of the child.

You're right, baby car seats are not trivial to put in. Also be warned that they take HUGE amounts of space, requiring more room than the average adult uses. I would have to think that a rule of thumb for most vehicles is that you almost lose the seating space for two people. For example, we had our seat first in the second row seating in a minivan. The seat in front of the baby had to be pushed all the way forward to allow the seat to fit at the correct angle. That meant that anybody more than about 5'4" to 5'6" could NOT sit in front of the baby, there just wasn't room. They also take up more width than the average person. If you have a midsized car with a rear bench, it is unlikely that you'll be able to comfortably seat two other people on that same seat.

All this means your average smallish car won't be able to seat an tall adult in front (other than the driver) and children shouldn't ride where there's an airbag. The rear seat may have space for two small kids behind the driver, or one adult. In other words, if the parents are both tall, and there's another child already, a smallish car is NOT going to work! Also, keep in mind the truck has to take the stroller ... *grins*

We ended up jumping to a Suburban. We have six kids, luckily only one requiring a huge car seat, and even with a vehicle that large it still takes up considerable space.

Certainly have somebody check your installation. If often does take two poeple to put it in properly anyway. It isn't easy to get the belts holding the seat in as tightly as they should be on your own.

Yes, it is at my hospital. I went on their website and they have a whole sheet of classes you can take, such as sibling relations, CPR classes, breastfeeding classes, etc.

This one is called "childcare education" and it's a series of 4 classes. This one was "baby care basics and carseat safety" which you could take by itself, or part of this series thing. The first couple hours they went over EVERYTHING, what your baby will look like when they're born, what kind of temporary things happen to a baby (jaundice, 'stork bites,' skin rashes) and when to be concerned at what things are perfectly OK. They taught us how to swaddle and different techniques to comfort a baby, how to care for the umbilical cord and a circumcision, etc. It was basically a crash course for people who have little to no experience with babies. It was a little like high school health class but I feel so much better cause I'm clueless.

The next three classes are more about the labor and delivery I think...the ones where you bring pillows and they teach your partner to be a coach. I don't know what to expect really but I'll let you know, I go in January.

Other than that, I'm signing up for a CPR & First Aid class at the police department. They had some at the hospital too but they were much shorter and the one I'm taking is like 6 hours long or something. I know I'll feel better knowing what to do in case something happens. My sister-in-law (mother of four) and my mom are going to take that one with me.

The only problem so far is I waited to long to sign up. I have to take this class out of order because it ends the week of my due date. So if you're going to take it, sign up sooner than later.

Dilly, when you put a baby in a forward facing seat (when they're old enough) the seat is generally secured to the main car seat by virtue of the lap belt. It generally threads through the seat base. It must be installed tightly, and it essentially prevents the seat frmo moving forward in the case of a collision.

However, with just a lap belt alone, there's not much stopping the top of the seat from rotating forward. In the event of a sudden stop (collision), the baby will continue to move forward, and so will the top of the seat since it's not held in place. It's easily possible (and does happen) for the seat to rotate far enough that the baby can hit the seat in front if it's at all close. Even if there is a little resistance to movement in the baby seat, the babies shoulders by virtue of being bucked into the baby seat will actually pull the seat forward. If it's not enough that the baby can impact the seat in front, the very car seat they are in keeps travelling forward due to it's own momentum and hits baby in the back of the head, effectively crushing his or her head.

The tether strap goes from the rear side of the baby seat and is firmly anchored into the frame of the car so the baby seat remains in place.

In some countries, vehicles manufactured in the last few years are required to have proper tether points for car seats. If your car doesn't have a factory tether point, make sure that whatever tether point is used is strong and can take a good hard pull by a strong adult without breaking free.

Rear facing car seats are slightly different. Their installation inherently protects against frontal collisions, that's the whole reason that baby travels backwards. However, the ones to watch for to make sure the seat is securely fastened are side and rear (tail end) impacts. Make sure the lap belt holding the baby seat in is good and tight and won't allow the seat to rotate upward in a rear impact, or hit the doors in a side impact.

Yeah and they have to be in the center seat in the back.

The father of my baby has a Ford Ranger and he's basically screwed...he also found out this his daughter is supposed to be in a booster seat still (the place is providing him one for free) and now he's gotta fit a carseat in there too! I don't know how he plans to do this exactly. He doesn't have a backseat and he only has the passenger seat, and then the middle seat has that console thing that flips up...so it's a really tiny seat. It fits two grown adults somewhat comfortably, but that's without any carseats/boosters.

I have a Honda Civic and they have quite a bit of room in the back so hopefully I'm alright. I'm planning on buying a new car but want one with a huge back seat (scion - toaster cars or a honda element).

Great idea to put a label on the carseat telling my childs name and parents names and address! I will be doing that with both the new baby and my toddler!

A child should be in a booster seat until 4'6" or 80 pounds I think. My oldest who just turned 9 was in a booster seat up until just a few weeks ago. Sure, seems like a long time but its better he is safe since he weighs only 59 lbs right now. We only recently took the booster seat out because he cant fit in it with the other two carseats! Although without the booster seat its a comfortable fit. He has the graco turbo booster that basically lifts him up a little bit so that the seat belt fits him right.

It's like anything else, a lot of that stuff is safe if it's used in exactly the correct way. Most of the mirrors are unbreakable anyway, but they should also never be placed in a location that they could come in contact with the baby in the event of a collision whether breakable or not.

Think of how many dangerous things there are in everyday life and you'll get an idea of how it really is up to the parents to decide what is safe and make sure it's used in a safe manner. For example, consider the little thermometer duck that is used to sense bathwater temperature to keep things safe. Is the material used in the thermometer part safe for a baby to chew? I've no idea, but fact of the matter is even safety eqiupment can be less than safe if used in an innapropriate manner. Not only that, but consider the cmopletely consciencious mother who gets the bath water just the right temperature each time, then the growing baby reaches out and touches the hot tap ... not even turns it on. Likley not hot enough to burn but likely far hotter than the water in the bath. Does that mean that the bathroom taps need to be of a design where no part of them is as hot as the hot water that passed though? Perhaps, perhaps not, but again, these are all things that as parents we have to be mindful of.

One of the most ironic things that makes me wonder is our workplace and practically every place I've ever worked. In the plant we have fork lift trucks running around all over the places. There are a very rigid set of safety rules. Lift trucks must stop at aisle ways. So must poeple. Horns must be used. Seat belts must be used. There are very strict procedures for raising, lowering and moving loads so things are as safe as possible. All of this is great stuff. However ... walk out into the parking lot after work, particulary if it's dark and snowy and ... it's every person for themselves, no rules to ensure people don't get hit, it's not well lit, and there are no pedestrian walkways out there. Make sense? Not to me. (That's sort of like the local mall, are there proper provisions for getting to and from the stores through the parking lot safely? Likley not!) Sorry ... rant over!

Again though the message is for the parents to always think and be aware, foresee potential dangers before they become real dangers.