After 6 months, girlfriend is scared of being close

6 months, all good, very intimate, great relationship, great friends, good love making.

However, girlfriend has recently gone through some exams. She started to become stressed, which on the occasional time earlier, she had showed.

The exams are over, results are good. She has a good job, lots of prospects.

We took a break whilst the end of the exams were on. However, in the last few weeks, when we have got back together, things haven't been the same. The intimacy has been missing, last night she kissed me but it was like kissing your aunt. She stayed over but avoided the whole intimacy thing, I obviously gave her lots of space.

We discussed things. My girlfriend has had the occasional moodswing in the past however now, she is afraid of being intimate again.

We have discussed her past and there is something there she won't tell me about. I suggested she see a counsellor. She is going to do that.

She suffers from occasional bouts of low self esteem, yet she's a great person! I love her. We have agreed to have a few more weeks apart and that she sees a counsellor.

I do suspect that she has been abused or treated badly in the past, which obviously abhores me.

I told her today that I will be here for her and that I want to be with her, but she needs to seek professional help.

Does anyone have any further advice?

Be thankful she is being honest with you and willing to see someone about her problem. I do suspect though that she may just be stressed or need some excitement, and have lost sex drive in the process. Take it slow with her and be there for her when she needs it, I'm sure you'll both work it out