When ready to propose...pick out the ring or propose without one and let her choose?

just remember that the girl will wear this ring for the rest of her life.

Romantic proposal with a ring that surprisingly fits and is exactly her style only happens in the movies. In real life you go ring shopping together. Sometimes brides change their ring after they get the one from you and buy a different one. Some brides of five or six sets of rings. Its whatever your style is but if you really want to be proper you have to decide what style you and her like and ultimatley yours will match hers so you also have to think about what color metal ring you prefer too.

Many jewelry stores will let you exchange the ring for the full value for some period of time (30-90 days). That allows you to have a ring to propose with, yet be able to trade it in for something that she will really love.

Talk to the jeweler and make sure they have a policy like this. Then I'd say definitely propose with a ring.

Go together, get an idea of the style and size and then you can go and get one. Me and my husband knew we would eventually get married and just happened to look at rings whenever we went on a trip or shopping, so when the time finally came he was ready and I've got the ring I wanted. I have had thousands of compliments on it since I have been wearing it becasue it is not your typical engagement ring. I also am not your typical wife, so it fits perfectly. Don't rush it, wives are VERY proud of their rings!!