advice greatly appreciated...

Hi. I have been thinking these types of thoughts for a while, and finally decided to just let it all out on the computer. Here it is, unedited. Please respond with opinions. Thanks:

I’m having a lot of trouble thinking about what I want to do education-wise and job-wise. I feel like I just do not learn nearly as well as I can in a typical education setting. I learn much, much more efficiently and pleasantly reading all sorts of things online, primarily on wikipedia.

The struggle right now is that the Kalamazoo Promise is paying for me to attend college. It is October, and the semester doesn’t end until December. I don’t want to just stop doing my stuff now, because that will jeopardize my future, as I may change my mind and come back to college later (the promise pays for up to 10 years after high school graduation). It’s hard to focus on my “work” for the sole reason of not ruining my possible future mind changing chances.

Right now, I want to first find out if I stop after this semester, will the promise cover the rest of the school year should I decide to re-enroll. I also need to do something “progressive” with my time if I stop after this semester. I feel like I don’t deserve to just learn way and enjoy things right now since I am not going all-out in my studies. When I leave to bike ride and not study, I feel a little guilty. But when I study, I feel miserable because I am learning only enough to regurgitate, and I am not doing what I truly want to do. I am going against my intuition.

Starting some kind of business sounds pretty appealing, but I don’t think I want to just keep getting computers and reselling them, as its not profitable enough and doesn’t contribute to a higher cause. Starting a soymilk farm, creating a recycling program in another country, these are the things that really appeal to me. I just need an entrepreneurial edge, or something that the rest of the businesses don’t have, in order for mine to succeed.

I have lots of interests and skills, but I am sick of learning in the same old ways again and again. Formulas are not what I want to be learning anymore. I’ve taken 6 different classes now (started with 4, switched 2), and none of them are really doing it for me… even philosophy!

I’m muscular and healthy and crafty and spontaneous and adventurous and intuitous and smart and driven, yet I find few opportunities to make use of these here, and during those times, it is in relatively small magnitudes.

Apollens,

I must say if I had this sort of deal when I was coming out of highschool I would not squander it. It becomes increasingly difficult to go back to school as the years go by.

I say bite the bullet and take business courses. Not only will you have the education but you will then figure out what business will be the one you want to start. Perhaps you may take some science or environmental classes. That way you can incorporate the business side with the environmental side.There are alot of people who aren't as fortunate as you. So use this opportunity you are so lucky to have.

Hi. I appreciate the quick response, but no, motivation is not the problem at all. I am highly motivated and driven. Just not in this environment. I can't find good, satisfying outlets for my motivation.

then you're in luck. a well and truly motivated person will not have much difficulty in manufacturing a niche.

Oh, and one more thing. The sources that contribute to wikipedia aren't guaranteed to be accurate. As with a lot of information on the Internet. In a college education, most of what you read in the textbooks is more likely to have been researched and confirmed.

So, make sure whether or not you continue college, that you try to get your information from as reliable sources as possible.

Hi. I appreciate the quick response, but no, motivation is not the problem at all. I am highly motivated and driven. Just not in this environment. I can't find good, satisfying outlets for my motivation.

I would get the degree akin to taking your medicine. Future employers are not going to "buy" your explanation as to why you didn't get a college degree - more and more a degree is a minimum prerequisite for most white collar jobs and probably even some blue collar. So swallow your distaste for "regurgitation" and not wanting to learn in the way that you are expected to at college (or find a more progressive type of college) and see this as a means to an end. When you are done you will have many more options. If you stop now there is a high risk that you will never go back. I am biased because without the educational background I have I would never have achieved anything near what I have and have the options I do career wise and financially. It is worth it, in my humble opinion to somehow make it through.

Starting a soymilk farm, creating a recycling program in another country, these are the things that really appeal to me. I just need an entrepreneurial edge, or something that the rest of the businesses don't have, in order for mine to succeed.

You don't need a college degree to achieve this kind of business, but you would need some familiarity and experience with these kinds of endeavors. And plenty abound all over the world. They need volunteers or workers willing to be paid a small stipend. Lodging is often included.

May I personally add that your aspirations are refreshingly non-materialistic. Too many people seek a college degree so they can make a good living, rather than seek a good way of living.

What is your basis for that statement? Most of the people I know who have a college degree - including myself - have used it to make this world a better place. Many people make more $ not getting a college degree - the constant list of names of wealthy people who never went to college. I could not help the people I do without the advanced degree I have and the license that resulted from it. Before the advanced degree, I taught inner city children - again not something I would have been permitted to do where I am from without a degree. And, of course I could not make the charitable contributions I do ($, I mean) if I did not make a comfortable living which in turn is a direct result of my degrees and the work I have done. My experience is typical of so many people I know, who have advanced degrees or college degrees and either have a career in the non profit world, do volunteer work/community service and/or contribute significant sums to charitable organizations. I am sorry that you know many people who go to college for materialistic reasons. I'd be curious to know what percentage of well known philanthropists have at least a college degree - I am sure many do.

what percentage of well known philanthropists have at least a college degree - I am sure many do.

No one should be defined in this way by whether or not they have a degree.

There are generous and charitable non-degree individuals and vice versa. There are greedy educated people and vice versa. Having a degree or otherwise is no determinate of whether you are a charitable altruistic person at heart or otherwise.

To the OP. You should determine what it is you want to do and then make enquiries as to what is the best course (educational or otherwise) to achieve that.

well . . . this is a tough issue.

you may be able to learn things on your own, without going to college. but you won't have a degree. don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that college degrees are what makes people successful -- that's not always the case.

however, where will you get the money to start a business? where will you get the money to start a recycling program or a farm? you would need a job first (unless you can get some sort of a government grant or a loan-- but in order to get a loan, you need assets). and having a degree MIGHT help you get a better paying job (which you can save the earnings from for your business).

in addition, i'm not trying to sound negative or anything, but what if your future business / enteprenurial plans fail? what will you have to back you up?

Your post reminded me of that movie Good Will Hunting, when Will tells the Harvard student that he (Will) could get the education that the Harvard guy has by spending $1.50 in late fees from the library as opposed to $150,000 for a college degree. lol! (can't think of the direct quote!)

No one should be defined in this way by whether or not they have a degree.

There are generous and charitable non-degree individuals and vice versa. There are greedy educated people and vice versa. Having a degree or otherwise is no determinate of whether you are a charitable altruistic person at heart or otherwise.

To the OP. You should determine what it is you want to do and then make enquiries as to what is the best course (educational or otherwise) to achieve that.

Oh I totally agree. I was just responding to the poster who opined that many people who go for a college degree are materialistic. I do think it's probably easier to be a successful philanthropist if you have a higher degree - allows you to network more easily with those who can invest $, can give you a license to permit you to help even more (i.e. social work, medicine, law, nursing, etc.) and probably adds to the diversity of one's perspective depending on what the degree is in.

Anyway, I gave my advice to the OP - sorry to continue on this tangent, just wanted to explain.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has replied, you guys said some very helpful things. After reading these posts and talking with my parents and friends, I am indeed going to continue to struggle through these initial challenges I am having in college. Thanks again

College is not all it's cracked up to be. Follow your heart.

I respectfully disagree. I think you can do both - since you are obviously highly intelligent and intellectually curious, get the degree under your belt - and consider a graduate degree - so that you are more marketable, have more options, more potential doors to be opened for you in the event as you get older you get curious about other fields, career paths, jobs, industries, etc. The college experience varies widely of course but if you go to a decent college, get good grades then that piece of paper and your credentials and accomplishments likely will mean a whole lot to many in the fields of business, non-profit, art, entertainment, charitable organizations - you name it.

My higher degrees are the best things I ever did for myself - including raised self esteem, the ability to help so many people, financial independence and comfort/stability for the future and the knowledge that I can get a very decent job in a short amount of time if I needed to. Of course there are successful people who don't have a college degree but the risks of not having one particularly given your sorts of interests are very high and why take the risk? My college was inexpensive -- no need to go to an expensive "fancy" one or try to get a scholarship.

All the best to you!

My graduate degree did me well also. But that is because it was what I truly wanted in my heart. I had specific goals. On the other hand, when I look at my friends that were less motivated, there are many of them who don't even use their degrees. And then I have friends who never went to college, own businesses, and make a ton of money doing something they love. The idea that you need a college degree to be successful is bs as far as I'm concerned.

My graduate degree did me well also. But that is because it was what I truly wanted in my heart. I had specific goals. On the other hand, when I look at my friends that were less motivated, there are many of them who don't even use their degrees. And then I have friends who never went to college, own businesses, and make a ton of money doing something they love. The idea that you need a college degree to be successful is bs as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for sharing. I respectfully disagree with the last sentence and of course you are entitled to your opinion. I don't think it is essential but I think it is highly advisable. Also depends on how you define success. To me success is not defined by the amount of $ you make but about doing something you love and being good at it. Often, without a college degree there are obstacles to doing something you love or being able to do it at the level you would like - such as in medicine, law, teaching, and certain types of business, and even in the arts to some extent.

However, respectfully, this poster doesn't want to be a doctor or a lawyer or a teacher. He wishes to be an entrepeneur and I certainly think that 4 years of hands-on experience (perhaps coupled with some casual courses in accounting and business) would get him much further. How many people do you know that came out of school and started their own business soon after? I don't know any.

I'm with you on this honey amber. And Batya, when I said that many (and personally, I think most) people approach college from a largely materialistic point of view, I am basing that on the fact that many parents and society in general say, "Go to college so you can get a well-paying job."

I do think college helps further our discipline...it teaches us how to meet deadlines, to challenge us to learn new material, etc....and for many professions, it's required to have those credentials, no doubt about it.

But this young man seems to be pretty clear on what his heart wants to do. More so than a lot of posters who come here and express worries that they don't know what they want, they don't know if they're majoring in the right degree, they dread life after college when they're stuck in cubicle-land...

I reiterate my opinion that this poster's desires are refreshingly non-materialistic. The kind of business/endeavors he is interested in would benefit many, many people, not just him. And again, direct hands-on experience would prepare him well.

All this being said, if it turned out to not be what he wants, he can always go back to college at any time he desires. There's no timetable. I went back when I was 27.

And speaking of which, I'm one of those people who did it to get a better job. I got a business degree in marketing, even though I really longed to study journalism or film. I regret I didn't. Of course, I work for myself now as a freelance copywriter, and really like that, but I still wish I had followed my heart. Life's too short to base our decisions on fear of what "could" happen.

I think it gets exponentially harder to go back later on because of increased responsibilities, perhaps a family, a marriage, etc. I agree that it is a balancing test. I don't think getting a better job is a materialistic goal necesarily. I went to college and grad school to be able to have a profession that would be rewarding in every way - emotionally, psychologically and financially. We probably have different definitions of "materialistic" - that's ok!

The idea of going back to school at a later date reminded me of something else. Often, people who go back to school when they are older/more mature, have a clearer idea of what they want, and more actual interest in what they're studying. They actually absorb the education they're getting and know what they want to use it for.

Now, Batya, if you at 18 - 21 (not sure what age you were when you were in school) were already in that state of mind when you went to college, more power to you. That's great you were already so mature and absolutely clear on what you wanted to do for a living. But I would hazard to guess many young folks are not.

The idea of going back to school at a later date reminded me of something else. Often, people who go back to school when they are older/more mature, have a clearer idea of what they want, and more actual interest in what they're studying. They actually absorb the education they're getting and know what they want to use it for.

Now, Batya, if you at 18 - 21 (not sure what age you were when you were in school) were already in that state of mind when you went to college, more power to you. That's great you were already so mature and absolutely clear on what you wanted to do for a living. But I would hazard to guess many young folks are not.

Yes that is why I said it is a balancing test. I know at my age - 40- I would not be a successful student in my grad program as I was at age 25 (I graduated college at age 21). For some it is great to wait for the reasons you stated and for others it becomes a missed opportunity due to subsequent life circumstances.