had to put my dog to sleep, anyone dealt with this?

4ever

To the OP,

You did the right thing. I understand. I had to put down my beautiful Basset last year and I've never felt such intense grief. When you have to make the decision for them is the hardest part for sure. But remember that they don't look at life the same way we do. They don't contemplate the afterlife. Theirs is a much simpler world. There was no fear or understanding. Your dog simply got drowsy and went to sleep.

I kept clinging to the "quality of life" issue, as it is the point. But it's a difficult line to draw in the sand. I kept saying "She seems happy when I come home, she still likes to eat- she has SOME quality of life left." But when she no longer sought our companionship, and seemed indifferent about everything, I wondered, At what point is SOME quality of life no longer enough. Do I really want to wait until there's NO quality of life left? Do I really want to wait until she's in pain, tired and feeling sick all the time. Until she can no longer be comforted? Is that how she deserves to leave this world?

A lot of people will offer the Rainbow Bridge poem, and I do think it's lovely. Here's another piece which, while not necessarily uplifting, I found comforting, because it expresses so well the nature of loving a pet as family that I felt a little less alone in my grief whenever I read it:

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan. The life of a friend seems endless until one day. That day has come and gone for me, and I am once again within a somewhat smaller circle."

>

>

>

> -Irving Townsend "The Once Again Prince"

i had a cat for eighteen years, through my late teens until my early 30's-he was the only real relationship that hung in there thru 2 divorces, several interstate moves, and many jobs. when i had to put him to sleep after graduating nursing school, it was almost as if he was saying, its okay, you can do it alone now. it was like he saw me thru the toughest times. since then life has been settling, and i'll never forget him. please dont feel guilty, grieving is a process and dont judge yourself too harshly

I feel the same way about my dog. The years of my life from approx 18-20 were probably the hardest so far. I had virtually no friends and I worked at a petrol station and in a kitchen which included graveyard shifts. I spent my life getting abused by people at work (co-workers and customers) to come home to a very violent and abusive household. There was police involvement, charges laid against my family and I moved out eventually. I'd walk along the street with my dog where I would feel that I was invisible. I was in this society but I did not know anyone and no one acknowledged or spoke to me as though I were a person. The strangest of feelings when I was surrounded by people at all times (my job) but incredibly lonely. I honestly feel that my dog helped me get through. A pathetic as it sounds I had a companion and I owe a lot to that animal. Now he is in the process of dieing and I not feel sad for myself, but for my animal and what he must be going through. He will look at us with his big inquisitive eyes full of feeling and intelligence, but he is old and he is deteriorating. Like a small child grown old. I allow my dog to sleep outside my door where never would I allow it in the past. I think he loves us and that he would not want to die. So I will do for him as I would want to have done for myself and that is to allow me to live long enough to enjoy whatever moments I might have left, with whatever loved ones I may have in my life. When the pain is too much we will do what must be done. Until that time I plan to keep my friend alive as long as is possible.

I've just been re-reading my account of the life - and death - of a best friend, my old Lab dog Sam, whom I watched fading by degrees, over days-weeks-months. Finally I had him humanely injected. He died quickly and painlessly, 5 years ago. I hoped always that he would die naturally - he was after all 15 years old - but in the end I believe that what I did was right for him. It was an unspeakably tough decision. I still feel as if I betrayed him and his trust in me. I doubt I'll ever get over that.

I no longer punish myself over Sam's demise, I know intellectually that it was the 'right thing' to do. The emotions are a different matter. Dogs display such desirable and admirable character traits, it puts we humans to shame.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
just wanted to add.. what made me sad and think about my dog again today in this horrible way.. is that i read one post where a person was telling about their sick old dog and that they have to give her injections everyday, and that its suffering but they dont put her to sleep cause they said you never know what pain is worse since none of us here experienced death. so they said they are not going to put her to sleep cause its killing and maybe she wants to live so they are going to take care of her until she dies herself.

sorry Im so late here with a reply....but I was told my dog had cancer...we went through the operations and that only lasted a few months...they (vets) wanted to do the chemo...but I had heard horror stories about that....this is close to what you went through.....nothing is going to take the hurt away...but as a close friend of mine said...time will make it easier....I know thats not what your looking for...I honestly do feel your pain....mine was put down in March of this year...not going "back" is not going to help...like you I really had no one...only a friend a 1000 miles away.....I stayed busy...took a job traveling.....slowly I started taking down all his things I had around him...I still have his favorite throw toy and his pictures around him....and always will...he was my son.....at first I really could feel him jump on the bed at night and lay his head on my legs like he use to do when we slept....this too will pass.....at this time...dont be shy..call people for support....you just lost a loved one....do this for you...your dog understands your pain now.....and I really believe they are with you...watching....taking care of you....it took me about 4 months to control the crying..and when I watch certain movies I still cry.....but now it's more controllable.....I dont feel the pain ever leaves...we just adapt to it...so the moral is time and support....but never stop the loving

My first dog was named Jewel. I had to put her down about 2 weeks ago and I had to make the decision. I was in the very spot you were in. She was very old, had trouble walking/standing, hearing, and seeing. The last two weren't horrible but some days you could tell. Pain medicine helped her but it wouldn't prevent what was happening to her. She was the best dog in the world. I think about her everyday. I too have dreamed of her after her passing. She would have her very seldom good days where she was okay, just like when she was younger. The last day I spent as much time with her as I could. I asked her if I was making the right choice, asked for a sign. I went outside to get something out of the car and when I walked in, she had peed a puddle of blood. The biggest puddle I had ever seen. We also have her daughter from her first litter. She could tell Jewel was suffering too. So I made the decision and petted her while the vet did the procedure. The last thing she saw was me, which is how I wanted it. It was hard. I started to cry typing this. Sometimes, even with the sign, I wonder if it was the right thing to do but in my heart, I know it was. When you see them suffering like that, you want to believe there is a cure but there isn't. You and I made a hard choice but it will prevent them from further suffering. If you hadn't done it, he could have gone at any time but he would have suffered even more. They know we care. They can sense our emotions and understand us. You'll always miss him. I still miss her. Whenever someone says her name, it still hurts in the pit of my stomach but it is comforting to know I did the right thing for her. Now she can be the same dog she used to be, free to run without pain or losing weight even though she ate all the time. Don't doubt yourself. You did the right thing.

Archived