Bad week - cat seriously ill

I just moved to a new apartment last week. It's nice, but the move was very stressful, because I had to do it all on my own (packing, supervising the movers, unpacking and making all of the requisite arrangements). Even though we talk regularly, my ex-boyfriend refused to help me that day; his stepfather took his place, but only ended up having time to give me a ride from my old apartment to my new one, which was not much help at all - he was nice to me, but he didn't even get out of the car. It was so much easier when I moved 2 years ago, because my then-boyfriend helped a lot.

After the adrenaline from the move wore off and I finally was able to relax, I ended up getting sick right before I was supposed to go back to work. Even worse, at the same time, my 6-1/2 year old cat (who I adopted in January 2005 right after my bad breakup and love to bits) got very ill. She vomited about 20 times in 24 hours, so I took an extra day off work on Tuesday to take her to the vet. They ended up admitting her to the hospital for 3 days to do tests, X-rays and an ultrasound and to hook her up to an IV because she was so dehydrated. It cost me a fortune ($1600), but I love her.

So, I've been going to work since Wednesday with a very bad cold and fever, hacking away (my boss knows that I'm very sick and about my cat, but doesn't even offer to help with my workload - all she does is review my work and come in late every day). Then, I found out yesterday that my cat has chronic renal disease, which is kidney failure. While it is not immediately fatal, she will eventually die from it. The disease can be managed with a special vet prescribed kidney diet, but I have no idea how long she'll live. It's just so depressing, because she's been the only positive "light" in my life since the break up, and now I might lose her at any time, too.

I took her home from the hospital last night. She's OK so far and was hungry this morning, but I'm worried like crazy. I don't know how much more stress and bad stuff happening I can take and have no idea how to deal with this. I'm desperately trying not to cry while I'm typing this (I'm at work) and I have to draft yet another motion.

Why can't anything good ever happen?

image removed

Im so sorry your going through this! When it rains it pours huh?

Well hon this too shall pass, I know you love your kitty and I love animals to and can understand your very worried.

Moving sucks huh? But at least thats one thing you have gotten through! Wish I had some advice to give but know that Ill keep you in my thoughts!

Hey There,

I too am sorry to hear that you are going through a tough time right now.

image removed

About your cat- if you feed her the kidney diet (is it Science Diet K/D?) she can live for a long time with kidney disease. Chronic renal failure is not an immediate death sentence... so take heart. I used to work as a vet tech and we had alot of cats who has CRF and they lived for YEARS on this diet, and did very well with it. She'll have to go back and have her kidney tests checked periodically, but with luck she will do well with it.

Hang in there!!

When it rains, it pours...

I'm sorry to hear about all that is going on. I'm sure moving was very stressful, but at least that's out of the way now.

I know how much you love your cat- I feel the same about my kitty and I'm sure you were shaken up to find out about her kidney problems. But if you feed her the right food she can live a happy life and she may stick around longer than you're thinking. So try to think positive, love her and take good care of her and enjoy the time she has with you. As Hope75 said, it could be years so try not to worry too much. (I know, easier said than done)

Just take try to it day by day

BellaDonna

I too am sorry to hear about the bumps in the road you are encountering. Seems it happens like that sometimes and all the stress falls on us at once.

I certainly hope that you yourself feel better soon. Take care of yourself.

I am also sad to hear that your cat is ill. I certainly hope that she will live a long time. She has as great owner , so I am sure you will do your best to give her the proper care.

I understand how you feel about your cat, because I am the owner of 5 cats, and they are all special to me and keep me company when I am lonely.

Take care and keep us posted and let us know how you and your cat are doing.

I am so sorry about your cat. I am a huge animal lover and it took me years to recover from the death of my first cat, a sealpoint siamese named Brandy. Brandy also had kidney failure. She was diagnosed with it around the age of 7 or 8 and lived to be almost 15. With the help of the Science Diet KD and loving care, she had a great quality of life. I hope this reassures you a little about your kitty's well-being.

Thanks for all of your kind thoughts. It's a relief to hear from a few of you that my cat can possibly live for years on the special kidney diet.

My cat seems to be doing better - more energetic, no more throwing up. I'm giving her a lot of love and attention, which she likes (and which I like giving). She has a follow-up appointment with the vet on Saturday, at which point he will probably start her on the special kidney diet. So, we'll see how she does.

I'm feeling better physically, too. Didn't feel better until Saturday, though.

How I'm feeling emotionally is another story. I just feel drained of energy, with everything that has happened in the past 2 weeks. I still need to finish unpacking and I'm still getting used to living in the new place. What I can't help thinking is that when I moved 2 years ago, my then-boyfriend, Matt, helped me so much and I didn't feel so tired after the move. Also, because he stayed a lot at my place, that apartment felt like a real home almost immediately. This time, though, although I like my new apartment, it feels a bit empty and lifeless in a way, as though something is missing, and I feel tired from doing everything on my own.

With everything that's happened, I'm having a hard time relaxing in general. I feel like more things could go wrong at any time, if you know what I mean. I've been extremely worried about my cat and feel like I'm continuously monitoring her (following her around the apartment) just to make sure she's OK. I wish that I could just chill out, but I haven't been able to. It's like I'm on pins and needles continuously. I worry all the time.

wasn't gonna happen

i am moving too

i hope u feel better

i have to undergo some kinda procdure on thursday

i just hope nothing goes wrong

kinda worried about that

the end of my rekatio nbship has been really hard on everybaody

and it was all my fault

sorry

not sure why i am saying this here

i should go

Big hugs for your, sweetie pie, I'm so sorry for you and your kitty, but take heart, your little furball may live many years to come. All we can do is our best and to love them with all our might. I am proudly owned by five wonderful and unique cats, each a special ray of light in my life.