Go it alone?

kiki

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, but hopefully you can see how i felt it fits in here..

I've been invited to a birthday dinner and drinks by a friend who i don't know very well. She seems very nice so i really feel i want to go and besides, i havent been out since my 'breakup' two months ago,`so i feel i should take this opportunity to go out.

However, i don't have anyone to go with >_

so shall i stay at home rather than risk a social disaster?

I will be grateful for any tips you can share with me ^^

Omg GO! I am that person way too often...but hey, look, there will be drinks there (liquid courage)...lol. don't stay home, you will regret it. When it comes to social situations its ALWAYS better to take risks...just be yourself and bring up stuff that you and these ppl have in common...and at least you will know that one girl - tell her that your nervous because you don't know anyone and she will for sure hook you up with someone to talk to. good luck!

I would go. It's a great opportunity to get out there and meet new people. Don't just assume it'll go badly. I would try to make sure you sit near your friend so you're definitely near someone you know. Then if everyone else does know each other, get yourself involved by asking questions about them. You can ask how they all know each other. Ask them what they do. Try to find some common ground with them so you have something to continue to talk about. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Go, go, go! After 2 months, it's time to rejoin the land of the living. It's always good to welcome new people into your life.

Incidentally, don't judge the event by the first 30 minutes to 1 hour you are there. My observation about gatherings is that it takes a while for things to get going, especially if not everyone knows each other.

The other observation I've made about gatherings is there's usually at least one person in every group who will go out of their way to make any new people, singletons or those who look a little lost feel included. You won't need to look for this person...most likely, they'll spot you first and get a conversation going.