Am I too emotional sometimes?

Joined here a week ago, now I have something to ask about...

Ok, a co-worker who I've worked with for five year's wife just passed away. She is also another co-worker's sister. This morning at work when I heard this I felt really bad for them both. IN fact I choked up a little. I didn't know her personally. I had only met her a couple of times. I just felt so bad for her sister and husband.

Then he came in to talk to some of us. He said he was bored. When he came over and talked to me I told him I was very sorry for his loss, and then I started to cry. I tried to hold it in, but that's easier said then done. He gave me a hug and told me it was allright. How ironic, the bereaved comfortine me...

This guy's wife was his whole world, she was the center of his universe. I just can't imagine what he must be feeling right now. I've ben upset all day, but that was the only time I cried. I haven't gotten to pay my respect's to the sister yet. I'll do that at the calling hours.

So I don't understand why I got so emotional. I felt really stupid for stading there bawling over a person I barely knew. Was this an unusual reaction?

It's called empathy and it is an attribute to cherish not be ashamed of. Just don't take it to extremes. I imagine your co-workr was comforted by your reaction for he knows his wife's death touched even people who barely knew her.