shaving properly

Do you any of you girls have any tips of shaving?? I've tried tons of things and none of it seems to work. I can never get a proper shave. I always end up with stubble and really bad razor burn on the bikini line. All of my friends and everyone else I know shaves and is perfectly smooth with no hair or bumps. I've tried shaving with the hair and against the hair both don't seem to work. with saving cream and with soap and none of that works either. this really sucks!! can any of you give me some tips?

Some people are more sensitive to shaving than others.

I would suggest before you try it you soak in warm water or in the shower for 5-10 minutes to soften the hair up, use a moisturizing shaving cream, make sure it's a NEW sharp razor blade (the three blades seem to work best for me) and go in direction of hair growth. Afterwards, use a good moisturizer.

Or...you may just be a better candidate for waxing.

I know this made sound really weird but like i have the same problem and then only way for me to do it is if i lift like my skin up liek really tight and shae agaisnt the hair like little part by part. If that make sense liek ti works like a charm.

I know this made sound really weird but like i have the same problem and then only way for me to do it is if i lift like my skin up liek really tight and shae agaisnt the hair like little part by part. If that make sense liek ti works like a charm.

I do that too, the more tight the skin the closer the shave.

I use Bikini zone cream and lotion on my upper thighs and bikini area. I put the lotion on before and after shaving, I found that wet lotion is a great lubricant for shaving with a good moisturizing soap. The shave gels have always dried my skin, with those I found only using a thin film of suds works. Sharp razors are a must. I usually avoid shaving during menstruation since there's an greater chance of spreading bacteria to the hair follicles and getting an infection. I don't know how many other people have issues with that, but I've had a few cysts from irritated follicles getting infected.

there's also this lotion you can get that reduces the growth of your hair so you have to shave less often. I too have a problem with not being able to get a close enough shave. I've never used the lotion but have had friends that do and say it works.

I haven't figured out how to shave close and avoid razor burn and the little acne bumps either.

As a man, my solution is to use clippers set as close to your skin as they can be. I use them on my entire body, just making sure not to come in much direct contact with the skin. That tends to reduce the acne.

Shaving in the direction of hair growth works well on my face but not down lower (what direction does that crap grow anyway?).

You might try the clippers route, or try what Kally said and be dainty about it and do it part by part careful not to scrape against your skin with the razor.

Applying salycilic acid afterward helps to reduce the appearance of acne for me.

• 11 months later...

Everything everyone suggested all sounds great-- I'd also add that if at all possible, wait as long as you can in between shaves-- I find that if I don't shave while I have my period, (because no one will be down there during that week anyway) after it's over the first shave is the closest and is so soft with no bumps!

And then when I shave again the next day it goes back to the bumpy red stubble mess =( But it's nice for one day!

Have you considered using deploratory creams? I always had the same problem as you, alongside major itchiness when it was growing back, so now I use cream. It's gonna me more expensive, but lasts longer, doesn't give you razor burn or acne, and doesn't itch like a madman when it grows back. I think you should give it a go, and if it's not your thing, then ok, but if it is, you've saved yourself many potential nicks and cuts in places you do NOT want nicks or cuts.

x

Have you considered using deploratory creams? I always had the same problem as you, alongside major itchiness when it was growing back, so now I use cream. It's gonna me more expensive, but lasts longer, doesn't give you razor burn or acne, and doesn't itch like a madman when it grows back. I think you should give it a go, and if it's not your thing, then ok, but if it is, you've saved yourself many potential nicks and cuts in places you do NOT want nicks or cuts.

x

What's the best brand? I've heard some of them smell... and that is definitely the one area that I don't want smelling bad...

There are a load, they do have a smell, but it's not that bad and it doesn't linger! Honestly, it's not a horrible smell, just a sort of...I dunno, cosmetic smells I guess? You have to wash the area afterwards anyway, to make sure there isn't any cream left on your body, so if you hate it that much, you can wash the smell away instantly.

I vary between Veet and own brand stuff from places like Superdrug or Boots. If you go for Veet, don't get the stuff that 'stays in in the shower' cause it don't. It's just more expensive, lol

As long as it's not going in anywhere, or touching any particularly sensitive skin, you're ok. It's a bit tricky to get the knack of and so unnattractive sitting in the bathroom with your legs spread waiting for it to do its work. But you can do it!