It's hard to say. I mean, it certainly sounds very insensitive. But maybe his illness was very drawn out, and this is how they're expressing their relief that he's now free from pain and suffering. Maybe many of them had to nurse him during his illness, and this is how they're dealing with the stress. Not the most conventional way to deal with stress, but perhaps this is how this particular family deals with deaths in the family.

Some families and cultures are different. Some people see death not as a time of mourning, but as a time to celebrate for the person has moved on to be with God and it should be a joyous time for they will no longer be in pain.

I know my family, we have the whole funeral and everyone crying and such when someone dies, but after that we try and find the positives in it and have a good time with eachother in honor of the person who passed away.

Considering he was the one that called the cops on me and my brother countless times for sitting out front of MY house, I don't think he would have wanted them out there drinking. But who knows.

Even though he put us through hell for a long time (he called the cops on my mom for saying she paid her taxes and we were allowed out front of my house and other stupid stuff), I still feel really bad for his family.

My family had a number of funerals where we filed by the body, cried ourselves raw and then spent the rest of the day telling jokes and laughing our ashes off. Every family's different. One time my family had the funeral limo driver laughing like a hyena.

It probably seems odd if you're not used to it, and that is what they're actually doing (Cultural such as). Where I live and my own family, though two much different cultures, celebrate death as more of a happy time for the relief of pain, moving on and upward, and what they did and accomplished in life.

But, 5 hours? I've never had any celebration make progress that fast, that is what strikes me odd and crude potential that if he was bothersome to them, they're just simply happy he is gone.

It really depends. I think the positive is thinking of this as a happiness for what he had in life and the suffering is gone, rather than the later.

I dunno. It does seem a little odd considering he passed only this afternoon. It's hard to say though. Maybe they are blowing off some steam.

My family is one of those who cry and mourn hard at the service; and then afterwards there is usually a party. I distinctly recall the after-meal of the funeral of a close relative. A bunch of us who were close to him were laughing loud, joking, and even had somebody spitting juice accross the table. It's just how we deal.

Perhaps the man was just as much of an ogre to his own family as he was to yours. That would explain why they're celebrating his demise!

That's hilarious but mean at the same time lmfao.

They're still out there partying! I just don't think it's right that they're doing this so soon.

Families are different in this way. I don't know, for me, when I go, I would rather my family got together and celebrated my life and shared stories rather then moped around depressed. There are many cultures accross the world that celebrate death as they do life, because it is for them a start of something new. Does not mean they do not miss the person, just they are happy for their next "journey".

This is the way it tends to be in my family though. We grieve, but in our own way, and we tend to have a "party" of sorts as a celebration of their life.

Sometimes, if someone has been ill a long time, the mourning and acceptance of their death comes long before they actually pass too, so it's not that unusual they are not all broken up when it actually happens. Sometimes after a long illness, the death is almost a relief so they are out of the pain & suffering.

My favorate people in this world (and pets for that matter) are the ornary ones. When my uncled died, his life-long friends stood up and told stories about some of the hills he would have died on if he hadn't died of gloom after his wife passed away. Nonetheless, it was a very humorous toast to life and the ornary approaches and fickle sides of this man who lived it with so much spunk. I decided that year when I was 18 that I wanted my funeral to be like that. A celebration!!! Hey, I even had a guy ask me out at that funeral - I told my classmates the next day and they couldn't stop asking if he was "stiff".