Saturday before last I bought myself and my daughter a guinea pig each. I bought me a guinea pig because my pet rat i had almost 4 yrs was getting really old and had a stroke a month or 2 ago. Last wednesday my daughter left her room door open, and the collie/wolf dog we have killed my guinea pig.

Hubby got me a new one the same day. I said the dog had to go or I will. They talked me into letting the dog stay, but i said it had to stay in the pen.

They let the dog back in, and the darn killer killed my new guinea pig yesterday when the careless daughter left her door open again.

Now I come home today and my pet rat is gone.

I feel like nothing I have will last, I can't keep anything without it being killed or taken from me.

Life is so unfair.

I'm sorry, that's very sad. I understand how traumatic this must be for you.

But...do you mind if I gently point out that when you decide to own pets, you must think carefully first if they will integrate well with your other pets? It sounds like the dog was there first, and it's instinctive for a dog to kill a rodent-like creature.

To get rid of the dog or keep it constantly locked up because now you want to have different kinds of pets doesn't really seem fair. And of course, now two guinea pigs have died because they live in a home where a dog already lives. I guess I feel some of us need to more carefully think things through before we make a decision to become the guardians of an animal. It should be a lifelong and caring commitment based on us being pretty sure that our home is an ideal one for that animal. They have emotions and needs, too.

To get rid of the dog or keep it constantly locked up because now you want to have different kinds of pets doesn't really seem fair. And of course, now two guinea pigs have died because they live in a home where a dog already lives. I guess I feel some of us need to more carefully think things through before we make a decision to become the guardians of an animal. It should be a lifelong and caring commitment based on us being pretty sure that our home is an ideal one for that animal. They have emotions and needs, too.

I can't even look at the dog. I don't want her even near me. I am checking around to see if anyone I know would like her. If not im going to take her the the adopt-a-pet near us. They are a non kill shelter and will keep her til she dies if they can't get her a home.

Well, I guess my question probably doesn't really matter anyway. It's just a sad situation to me, the dog was acting on her natural instincts. I understand you're upset, and if the dog has to stay in a pen all the time, maybe your home isn't the best one for her.

But please do make sure she gets a loving and permanent home, dogs can feel deep sadness just like we do when they are uprooted. Another thing, I saw a horrifying documentary on HBO recently about people who pretend they want to adopt a dog as a pet, only to turn around and sell them to animal testing labs. It's pretty tragic.

Hmmm...well, that's the trouble with getting a pet that not everyone in the family really wants. Now, once you get rid of the dog, you may be able to have rats and guinea pigs to your heart's content, but your husband and daughter are going to miss the dog...

This is all very sad.

I know thats one reason I won't support the humane society here. A year or so ago a family dropped their dog off and the humane society swore they would have no problem getting it a home.

The family only got a few miles away when they changed their minds and went back to get the dog. The humane society already put it to sleep claiming it had a incureable ear infection.

In that short of a time a place that claimed to be humane, decided a dog was incurable and put it to sleep. They must have took the dog right to the gas chamber because there wasn't enough time to have the dog checked as throughly as they claimed.

I think it would be a better option to look for a new home for the piggy, where it can live with others of its kind because they do need to live in couples at least.

Your family likes the dog, and it wasn't the dog's fault what happened, unless the dog makes you really uncomfortable I would say she seems to be the pet your family wants and is already adapted to.

No need to put more guinea pigs where they are not really "required".

And I really hope your pet rat appears.

My pet rat won't appear she died quietly in her sleep.

I got her and her brother 4 yrs ago when they were 3 weeks old and weened from the momma rat. I had them both trained to beg at their cage door when they wanted to be picked up. They would turn over their feeding dish when they wanted food.

Her brother died last year from heart failure. His name was chubby.

She died sometime today while I was at work.

That's awful! That family must have been heartsick afterwards. I remember when I got my first dog, from a city shelter. The next morning, she was vomiting, and I called the shelter just to ask if it was normal for a puppy to do that (she was my first dog and I knew nothing about them). They just said to me offhand that the whole litter was sick and I could bring her in to have her put down if I wanted. I was horrified and said hell no! Then I took her to a vet who gave me a special diet to put her on until her little stomach was settled and she was absolutely fine within three days.

I agree, they put dogs down too fast at many shelters. I guess there are more unwanted pets out there than we realize. Again, very sad.

Do you think it would be possible you could get closer to your dog? I know it seems impossible now, but border collies are actually extremely smart, and love to train. Maybe you could take her to agility classes or something, and that would help grow a bond between the two of you.

To be honest, I wasn't a dog person until I got one. Now I'm crazy about 'em. They really do offer you more unconditional love than any other creature in this world is capable of, once you establish a bond together.

Reading stuff like this makes me want to cry because I love guinea pigs. I have 4 guinea pigs of my own. Three of them came from a rescue and one from a pet store. When I first moved out here, I ended up driving accross the country from Wisconsin to CA, because I didnt want to have to give up the guinea pigs so I drove them out here. If you ever want to have guinea pigs again and know how to properly care for them and interact with, go to this messageboard.

link removed

The people on here are all guinea pig lovers/fanatics and supporters of rescues. Great advice and good people there. I have been a member of that messageboard for about 4 years.

Guinea pigs make great pets. They are really cute, docile, friendly and they live best in pairs or groups since they are herd animals. Guinea pigs, if properly cared for, can live to be 5 or 6. My oldest guinea pig was almost 6 years old when she died.

Good luck!

Guinea pigs make great pets. They are really cute, docile, friendly and they live best in pairs or groups since they are herd animals. Guinea pigs, if properly cared for, can live to be 5 or 6. My oldest guinea pig was almost 6 years old when she died.

Good luck!

ty I know that the one guinea pig is now lonesome him and the other male always slept together. I have found them to be very gentle and loving animals. I am just having a hard time since both died in my arms.

dazed, I've been following some of your other threads, and I think your anger at your dog is misplaced. After all, she was only acting on her natural instincts.

Let's face it, you are going through a lot right now, a lot of turmoil and emotions, and that's completely understandable in light of the other situations in your life.

Perhaps trying to get closer to your dog could be a cathartic and symbolic gesture for you. I know it sounds strange. But it could help you let go of your anger, help you learn forgiveness, and honestly, because of her breed, she is perfect for training. You could eventually even train her not to hurt your guinea pigs should you get more down the road. I would suggest hiring a dog trainer to work with you and your dog. It could do wonders for the dog, you, and ultimately, your family.

True which helps. I thought she was going to die tuesday when I came home and found her laying on her side shivering. She seemed to have bounced back yesterday then come home today and she was gone.

That is so sad, I'm crying now.

{{{{{Hugs}}}}} I hope you feel better soon.

I am so sorry. I am a huge lover of animals.

Personally I think your daughter must be taught that if she is to have a pet it has to be put away or else she isn't allowed to have one. There's no reason the poor things had to die. How old is your daughter? Is she not old enough to accept the responsibility?

Scout thanks for the advice. I know i'm going through alot. Just right now it seems to be accumilating and accumilating til I am ready to explode.

I suspected as much, and I certainly empathize why. You've got a lot on your plate to sort through, that's for sure. Not to overstate the point, but that's where dogs are also helpful...taking them out on a brisk walk or run. I know it really helps me clear my head or at least calm me a bit to take my dog for a long walk when I'm upset and the walls feel like they are closing in on me.