Should I try to speak his language?

pip

The guy I like is Italian but he speaks excellent English. I know some Italian, but it's very amateur and no way near as good as his English.

Do you think I should attempt some Italian conversations (or text messages, emails) with him? I am nervous about trying it because I'm not perfect and I'll make lots of mistakes. Do you think he would find it cute, or would it make me look stupid? Of course he knows I'm not stupid, but hearing me stutter my way through terrible Italian might not be so romantic

What do you think?

Heya..

My self, being able to fluently speak multiple languages and english being not my birth language. I would find it really cute and would feel special if a girl would bother to say (try to) something on my language. Infact mistakes would make it even more cute.

So yeh..go for it

El_Sergio

hey,

he will definetely like the effort!!!

my boyfriend is also originally from another country and even though he speaks my language well,i once wrote him a card in his language,with the help of an online translater,and it wasn't perfect and also it wasn't necessary but he absolutely loved it!!!it was a great way to surprise him,he was so touched by my effort...so i'd say just do it and don't be embarrassed if it's not correct what you say!!!

I've met many people from different cultures than mine due to my dad's work and most of the people I've met actually appreciate when someone recognizes and tries to understand their culture.

When I was back home to visit my parents recently, a man from Mexico was there to visit the U.S. He spoke pretty good English. When I met him, I could tell he was a little nervous. Taking 2 years of Spanish classes in the past, I new some Spanish, so I told him, "Mi llamo ***** y yo soy la chica mas bonita en el mundo." He couldn't get enough of that, and after I joked with him about me being the prettiest girl in the world, he opened up a lot when we were talking about his life and Mexico.

I think you should try it! It does not have to be fluent, just phrases here and there.

Where I live, there are a lot of French speaking people...and I have dated some whom were French. I was in French Immersion most of my life, but am not fluent in it anymore, but I still make an effort when I am with French friends or with those ex's, etc, to speak it now and then. While I am usually embarrassed due to my grammar, they are usually also willing to help, and are quite supportive of it. My sisters boyfriend is also French (Quebecois) and they both speak English AND French with one another frequently.

I am sure he won't think it's stupid at all!