So i'm not sure how to address this post. I've done many different things to avoid my emotional "distresses". but recently i've been taking pain killers. its like if you have a small headache and you take an aspirin. i might not have the headache but just take the aspirin. the reason why im posting is b/c im not sure if this is a serious problem. i took three painkillers this morning. (not perscription) what dangers does this entail?

You can google the long-term effects of the pain killers.

You can get stomache ulcers, liver damage I think...immunity to pain killers. I used to be hooked on pain killers... unfortunately for me, I actually had massive headaches and so they gave me perkasets or tylenol 3s. When I got off that perscription I used to takes 2-4 of the regular tylenols to get the same relief...became dependant on them.

Why do you take them though? How do you feel on them? For me, I only became hooked when I started to enjoy the sometimes "light" feeling. It's dangerous to become hooked though. I realized that early on and now I take tylenol still daily, but for my headaches only.

Don't let it become a crutch. It's better to be in control of how you feel. Trying to get away from it never helps.

You can indeed become addicted. Self-medicating like that isn't safe because you start to get caught up in the painkillers instead of coping with the issues you are facing. As fairie16 mentioned you can also get various medical consequences like stomach problems, liver problems, and so on.

Any addiction is a problem. It is a symptom of something deeper that needs to be addressed. Until you address the core issue, you will have a hard time kicking the addiction.

Painkillers can be addictive and cause damage. I'm a firm believer that you can't solve emotional problems through pills or medication. Some medication can calm you down, in which case you should consult a physician and only use as directed. If the problem is emotional, try to address what it is that is causing the emotional distress and get help for that.