legal or illegal?

In some cases, it is legal. My friend has a doc's script and goes to a pot store. They sell hash, buds, hash oil and other stuff. As long as the feds stay away, it's legal in CA. Hasn't brought down civilization yet.

One thing, though. It's cheaper on the street.

It probably won't be legalized for everyone because America is the land of beer, wine whiskey and cigarettes. Those are the drugs approved and taxed by the government.

I won't get into whether it should be legalized or not..legalization brings it's own issues. I do think it should be decriminalized for the general population, and legalized for medicinal use with some regulations on growing, distributing and so forth in my own country and here there are indications that may happen in the future. When you bring in legalization, there are issues of quality and THC levels, of taxation and so forth too. Now, it is also the case where here people can apply to use it in certain cases, and where often the police do not waste their time on personal use and possession, just on grow ops, but I don't think you can apply a pat answer on what should be done based on YOUR own personal experiences with it.

You have to realize that just because it does nothing for you, does not mean it does not dramatically affect others, and not just physically, but socially, intellectually. It also is related to issues of crime around it in other countries, even if it legalized where you are, there are countries where people are still killed or enslaved or such to get it to your country.

I think that mary jane should be legalized simply for the economic benefits. It could be heavily taxed and since the growing and sale would be legal there would be less people in prison because of that. I doubt that it will ever be legal in this country there is just too much social stigma attached to it

I personally don't believe it should be legalized. For one, yes the government could legalize and tax it heavily but how many are actually going to buy it? I hear people all the time when Marijuana comes up and the legalization issue and the typical response is, "Yes, I hope they legalize it. Then I won't be it trouble when I grow it." I've never personally been in contact with growing the plant or anything of that nature but I do hear it is a very hardy plant growing where ever you can put down soil thing, whether its true or not I don't know but many people seem to of perfected it enough not to be caught and are just lurking, waiting for it to be legal.

Secondly, for medical purposes, if you're already in such pain and distress and it is there to relieve it that is one case. Yet, if you're healthy you might not be in the long term. If you check the comparison between Marijuana joints to Cigarettes as it relates to Respiratory damage among other aspects (including Cancers that are typically considered Cigarette related), Marijuana is a good deal worse than Cigarettes damage wise.

Not that we need to be harming Americans anymore than already is with everything else thats legalized in this country. We have alcohol and cigarettes, isn't that enough in itself? I've known people lost to drivers under the influence. All we need is driving under the influence of Marijuana. Or, working under the influence of Marijuana, that one ought to be fun. Of course it does have its own stench but depending on the situation, there is a good chance a worker could slip by smoking what is now legal at lunch break until he loses an arm in machinery.

Thirdly, I do believe Marijuana as with most drugs can only be tested through blood and urine (not sure on the latter), and general alternative testing methods. It isn't like a breatheanalyzer test for Alcohol which is a quick Yay or Nay decision. Nope this would require the Law Enforcement more time and effort towards people foolishly driving under the influence and having to drag them in before someone gets hurt. Then on another note, I've heard there is something that can be taken to cover up Marijuana when it comes to testing, not sure if its true but have heard before, and if true a hop skip and jump to the testing and pass even if you're not clean, again putting others at risk.

Fourth, if you read statistics, there is an overwhelming amount of inmates coming in for violent crimes which test positive for Marijuana. Now that really doesn't work in its favor, I believe you can find things from ADAM's report, ONDCP and other Government and State websites.

Fifth, there is concrete Psychological evidence that Marijuana is related to serious mental illness such as Schizophrenia, and those at risk (genetically) can cause an onset of this Psychological illness among others with the use if they're at risk. There is also some research which states it may actually induce or continue depression if used in the long tem (depresison when off the high, thus in a sense causing an addiction to get out of the depression)

Last but not the least, Marijuana is currently taboo. It is the least of the drugs and as long as its taboo you'll have your "risk" smokers. Good. As long as they're on Marijuana as a taboo drug they probably are content and maybe less tendency for hard drugs. Legalize Marijuana it loses its taboo, so people move on for more of a challenge. Morphine, Coke, Heroin, Amphetamines, so on and so forth we know all those right up the ladder. Then we have the gateway theory which is still controversial but it too has research conducted which states people whom start with Marijuana can be prone towards improving their high via alternative hard drugs.

I think Jinx is all wrong. There are all kinds of studies out there, but a lot of assumptions about drugs are made from sources who "say" there is a study, but really there is not, or it was debunked. Do your own research. I know plenty of crazies who never smoked a joint or drank a beer. I know violent people who are so proud they never touched drugs (alcohol included). People who get addicted to drugs are going to get addicted no matter what is legal or not. Every stoner knows smoking does not impair driving or other motor skills, and there is evidence to support that, too. What happens in tests that prove otherwise is that a person who smokes cares less about motor skills when he or she knows it's a test.

Anyway, prohibition leads to black markets and black market crime. If the US legalizes, do you think all these other countries are going to keep it illegal? I think not.

It'll never happen as long as there's so much propaganda out there, that's for sure. So drink up America, you get what you deserve.

I really doubt legalizing marijuana would lead to widespread troubles. Humans have plenty of problems without something to calm them down.

But pot is not for kids. No drug is good for kids.

I think Jinx is all wrong.

Well you're of course entitled to your opinion but I have went over several sources over the years on drugs for research projects among other purposes, and there are many more than one, and I don't believe these all can possibly be "debunked", it isn't possible.

I honestly would like to see sources where you find that it doesn't effect motor skills and reputable research reports which have debunked all I've listed. If you look, you can easily find reputable sources on all points I've made.

I am having problems seeing whether you're talking from personal experience or just taking the word of others. If we're on that note, living in a town bogged with drugs and users, I've seen people whom were high and most definitely wouldn't want their "non-impaired" skills driving me anywhere.

lots and lots of people get addicted to it now and its illegal, even more would be addicted monkey's if it was legal. occasional use is not really harmful, but it feels so good that many(but of course not all) people want that feeling every day, or all day. Pot makes you clumsy and careless. saying that, it is not nearly as harmful as alcohol and isn't that harmful to your health - it should be decriminalized - like the parking ticket that it is in some states. frequent and regular use definitely dulls the brain and takes away from what you are supposed to be in this world. big problem with pot is that many "good jobs" drug test you and this stuff can stay in your urine for 30 days or more no problem with regular use.

and no, I don't think that smoking regular pot affects the driving skills of a chronic user. actually i have read some studies that show less accidents, that is because when you are high, instead of driving erratically and crazy like alcohol does, you actually slooow down and are more careful. the but is that strong strains of pot can definetely make driving difficult for an inexperienced user. i have vast personal experience with marijuana and am currently not smoking.

The thing I realized about these threads is that they are like fresh bread. So this thread is like the half-priced loaf no one will touch. I do feel strongly about this issue, and have touched on it several other threads. People who want to keep pot illegal are simply blinded by propaganda. It is utter nonsense. Looking up the names of studies is like arguing over Biblical scripture - what counts is truth and truth is in experience. I also have vast personal experience with marijuana and I am currently not smoking. Again, it's not drugs that ruin people, it's the people themselves.

what counts is truth and truth is in experience. I also have vast personal experience with marijuana and I am currently not smoking. Again, it's not drugs that ruin people, it's the people themselves.

But drugs are the instruments upon which they ruin themselves. Would you hand a gun to a suicidal or homicidal person? Would you put temptation right in front of a person? Yes, the person makes the choice to take the drugs. But take a person who is already feeling weak and not likely to resist, combine it with any form of addiction, and its playing with fire.

I don't have personal experience, but I have had enough experience watching people ruin their lives through drugs to know how dangerous it is. These people could go long periods of time without doing it. But they always came back to it. It was an easy way of escaping from the other problems in their lives, and most people are not strong enough to resist it. So you want to make it easier for them? Just because a person does not currently do something, doesn't mean they don't have a problem with it or are addicted. It may not be as serious an addiction, but its still an addiction.

I would not dare enter a debate of whether or not a drug should be legalized.

For the simple reason that it is a highly controversial issue - and that is the main reason why the Government speaks so little of it, publicly.

I will say that legalization does seem to work fine in Amsterdam, and other parts of the world - but in a country such as America, I do not know.

It is proven to be of significant health risk - but so is tabacco, which is perfectly legal and a vast contribution to the Government through taxing.

Simply put, if it were made legal, it would be as heavily taxed as cigarettes. thereforeeee, there is a probability that it would still be available to be sold on the street for a cheaper price, but you never know what you are being sold.

It is not knowingly an addictive substance, but anyone can become dependant on the affects that the user gains.

I see no outstanding reason for it to be legalized, nor any reason for it to remain illegal.

In some cases, it is legal. My friend has a doc's script and goes to a pot store.
They sell hash, buds, hash oil and other stuff. As long as the feds stay away, it's legal in CA. Hasn't brought down civilization yet.

One thing, though. It's cheaper on the street.

It probably won't be legalized for everyone because America is the land of beer, wine whiskey and cigarettes. Those are the drugs approved and taxed by the government.

hey dako, can you bring me some? (just kidding!) i can't help it, but i love my weed, and it keeps me from getting stressed. i'm always in stress.

Everyone has stress.

Different people deal with it in different ways.

Yes. But if that method is damaging to them, then is it something that should be condoned?

I see no outstanding reason for it to be legalized, nor any reason for it to remain illegal.

Very definitive. Take a stand man! (just kidding )

Didn't say you did say it, just raising another question for people to think about.

And I did say I was joking. Just don't like it when people are irrelevant about subjects, like their only opinion is that they don't have an opinion. Come on, we have brains people. So why not at least lean in the direction that applies to you most.

Didn't say you did say it, just raising another question for people to think about.

That's good, too.

And I did say I was joking.

Yes, my dear Shy - I believe you did.

Just don't like it when people are irrelevant about subjects, like their only opinion is that they don't have an opinion. Come on, we have brains people. So why not at least lean in the direction that applies to you most.

I think you know more than most that I am one of the most over-opinionated people on earth.

I do have opinions on the matter, but would hate to start a debate over them, because most of the people either in favour, or against legalization of a drug - feel passionately about it.

I do not get too much involved in debates of that nature.

Much the same with religion.

No - those are the most fierce debates because people feel strongly about them.

And where passion is involved - people tend to be less open-minded about the subject.

Try converting someone to a different religion, or question their current religion - see how defensive they get.