Overprotective Boyfriend

Princess18

Hey guys just wonder whether you think this is normal. My boyfriend (of 3yrs) is very overprotective-

I think you already knew the answer to this... or else you wouldnt have used the words 'overprotective' to describe him. he sounds like a controller and potential abuser.

*Rockchick, you need to leave your bf. (bluntly put) i had one of those when i was 16, they get worse. he did the exact same things yours is doing, complaining about v-necks and all that. they arent worth the dirt on your shoes to keep around because they enslave you with push pull.

First, He should be able to trust you out with friends, emailing people, normal everyday things. Trust is the cornerstone to any relationship.

It could be he doesn't know how to handle sharing you yet, which , if you plan on lasting he needs to learn.

But you sound like a very young couple who like each other but don't know how to handle certain issues yet. I wouldn't be too hard on him.

Regardless, just tell him that this bothers you-

Reassure him that time soend not focusing on him does not mean you are priotizing others more.

He'll either learn from it or not. If he shows no signs of backing off, then think about dumping him.

But talk to him first- It sounds to me like he just doesn't know how to deal with this siutation yet.

My bloke was like that, the 1st few months we moved in together I couldnt handle the way he was being, I was honest with him and it helped that his mum pcked up on it too and warned him about losing me.

After 7months things have really changed and he's so much better to be around...but after 3 yrs hes still the same. I'm sorry I couldnt cope with that, he still likes to know where I am what Im doing and and who im txting and talking to (me sat here typing this is driving him mad because I dont want to him see that im writing this)but he's changed so far and I know why he is the way he is. But do not feel trapped or like he's distancing you from your friends, at that point I'd say its time to leave!

• 3 weeks later...
*Rockchick, you need to leave your bf. (bluntly put) i had one of those when i was 16, they get worse. he did the exact same things yours is doing, complaining about v-necks and all that. they arent worth the dirt on your shoes to keep around because they enslave you with push pull.

What else did your bf do? I have thought about it A LOT.. but at the end of it I remember how much he means to me.. I'm very happy with him and the compromises we make do work.. I'd be really interested in talking to someone who has also been through these sort of things if anyone wouldn't mind.. don't know anyone else in the same situation xx

• 1 year later...

princess18, why is he so insecure at that age, i know hes only 16 and probably in need of a maturity reality check.

has he cheated on someone else or have you? this doesnt help if its the case, but all the tracking and tracing thats bad, real bad!

princess18, why is he so insecure at that age, i know hes only 16 and probably in need of a maturity reality check.

has he cheated on someone else or have you? this doesnt help if its the case, but all the tracking and tracing thats bad, real bad!

This thread is four years old (in case you didn't know).

• 3 weeks later...
A typical knee jerk reaction like “dump him” is a little short sighted in my opinion. People make mistakes in relationships and these mistakes can sometimes be rectified especially if both parties love each other and are willing to try.

I agree,. You are partly to blame here also for LETTING him do this. Speak with him and tell him things will change, if he cannot accept it, then leave him.

Archived