Internet relationship

Good evening/morning everyone,

I reckon this post comes under the right forum.

I just wondered what you thought of chatting to people on the internet? I mean to look for friendship,relationships ect ...

I have heard people talking about it and yes I do realise people might not be who they say they are. I just wanted to know as I though about doing it myself.

I thought it might be a good idea but I thought I'd ask you guys first for advice.

Cheers,

Miya

Internet can be a great way to make friends, but I'd be careful and cautious of looking for relationships. In the end it's just another form of communication, and can be a great tool to meet people. But it can also cause problems. There are alot of strange people out there, people who will lie. And it can be easy to fall for the image you get of someone and find out later there is nothing there.

I've seen people get really hurt over internet relationships. On the other hand, greatest girl I've ever met I met online. It can work either way. Just be careful and take it slow.

Agreed with Shysoul.

Make sure you spend some time getting to know someone as much as you can before agreeing to meet them, when you do, tell friends and family where you are going, meet in a public place, take your own car, bring a cell phone, and if you feel red flags, leave.

As long as you are careful, you can meet the nicest people online.

My bf and I have been together for 2.5 years now and I met him online. There is just as much of a risk meeting a person who is deceptive and lies about themselves in a bar or in the park as there is online. Just use your common sense and you should be fine.

Good luck!

Very good advice given so far.

The main tool you need when interacting with people online is cautiousness. Do not give away too much, and take everything you hear with a pinch of salt. Beautiful relationships can form up if both parties are sincere, then again, there are always those who choose to hide behind a mask and defile the whole relationship with falsehood.

Time, is the best measure of a person's intergrity. Have fun, but do keep your eyes open...

I agree with everyone else. I really don't like meeting and chatting with people on the internet. I might be missing out on some good friendships, but to me, it's too dangerous. There's really no way of telling whether someone is who they say they are, or if they are dangerous or not.

Of course some people would disagree about meeting people online. Many people meet good friends online and maybe even someone who they end up marrying. I'm in no position to judge what they do or where they meet people.

Just be very careful, especially if you decide to actually meet someone in person from online. You never know who you are talking to. Even if you talk to someone for years and they seem like a really cool person, they might be completely opposite when you actually meet them.

You can never be too careful.

I actually met my husband online. It wasn't the treditional internet meeting though. There was no chatroom meeting like there usually is, and we lived in the same town when we met.

Even after all the time we spent e-mailing and talking on the phone, we still both agreed to meet in a public place. I also let about 6 friends know where I was going to be and who I was going to be with.

It was actually kinda funny though, they all kept calling through the coarse of our date, just to make sure I was ok.

I agree with all the cautionary advice given in this thread. I would definitely say that one huge advantage of the internet is that you can find other people extraodinarily well matched to you in terms of interests, etc. I would just add another caution and that is to try and restrict your contact to people of a similar age and / or maturity level to yourself. It seems that not only is the internet a haven for adult perverts preying on children and teenagers, but lately it is also a haven for children and teenagers trying to establish communications with much older people who they have never met personally and whom their families do not know either. And unfortunately these children and teenagers don't see that there is something wrong with that.

• 2 weeks later...

You have to be really careful. I have met a few guys of the internet...well only 1 if you really think about it. I post on a board that is for my school only and met 2 of them. A guy in my computer programming class contacted me via thefacebook to study at the library. I had seen him around, but never really chatted with him...he was kinda scary. He wanted FWB and kept asking if he could kiss me. I didn't really want anything to do with him in that way...I just wanted to work on my java projects with someone. Next guy we met just to make out...mmmm...he's messed up as heck I learned later. Glad he got annoyed with me and we stopped being friends. Last guy turned out to be such a sweet guy! I met him on the school sponsered website and we chatted over AIM for awhile. He went to the same church as me too...I would have met him eventually also since he went to college night there all the time and I went occasionally. Um...so I met him and he hadn't lied about anything. LOL! Not even his looks...but hey he is loosing weight. We might get together when he gets back...we were friends to start off with. He's a super nice guy and so yeah...I would have known him for 6 months when he gets back.

So the point is you meet some freaks and you meet some pretty cool people. Gotta be careful...people do lie about who they are. As for me I will only meet those that are on thefacebook that go to my college...or that are off of my school sponsered website since you have to be enrolled in the school to get on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I met my boyfriend of 2 years now ont he internet

never dated on the internet though

we visit eatchother and maintain a long distance relationship tell I can move in with him

haha took me liek 4 months to show my picture to him

took about a yeat before i gave him my phone number and meet

• 3 weeks later...

Internet relationships is a growing population that can't be ignored any more. People are making this way of social behavior a common practice. I've completed a compelling story based on true events about two people who met and fell in love while chatting on-line (Internet)

But some times there is a down side to meeting people and visiting them in their home town. Especially if that town has not experience social change.