Midnight Cowboy...

My guy and I watched this last night, the first time I watched it was many years ago and I think I was too young to understand its true meaning and what a truly powerful film it is!

About friendship, bonding, loneliness, disillionmemt and the struggle for human connection in an often harsh and unforgiving world.

Dustin Hoffman was amazing as Rico (Ratso) Rizzo, I think his best performance to date!  Even though it was only his second role (1969), the first being The Graduate (1967).

I became quite attached to the character and won't give away the ending for those who haven't seen, but I was quite distraught at the end, my boyfriend had to literally console me, it was that powerful!

Wow.

I am curious how others felt about it and about the friendship that ultimately developed between Joe Buck (Jon Voight) and Ratso Rizzo (Dustin Hoffman)?

Hi Rainbows. Sorry I can't add much as I haven't seen the movie but after reading about it I can see how it would affect you. It sounds like a groundbreaking film that more people should see. On the other hand, I'm not sure I can watch it. I tend to have strong emotional reactions to characters and can see myself being troubled and depressed at parts of the film. I usually prefer a happy ever after. Still, sounds like a film that really stresses just how important it is to have a friend that is there for you throughout all of the madness in this world. A valuable lesson we can all learn from.

Glad you enjoyed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

My guy and I watched this last night, the first time I watched it was many years ago and I think I was too young to understand its true meaning and what a truly powerful film it is!

About friendship, bonding, loneliness, disillionmemt and the struggle for human connection in an often harsh and unforgiving world.

Dustin Hoffman was amazing as Rico (Ratso) Rizzo, I think his best performance to date!  Even though it was only his second role (1969), the first being The Graduate (1967).

I became quite attached to the character and won't give away the ending for those who haven't seen, but I was quite distraught at the end, my boyfriend had to literally console me, it was that powerful!

Wow.

I am curious how others felt about it and about the friendship that ultimately developed between Joe Buck (Jon Voight) and Ratso Rizzo (Dustin Hoffman)?

I don't know if I saw it and -gosh maybe I'm way off base but it made me think of Brokeback Mountain.  Have you seen it??

24 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

I don't know if I saw it and -gosh maybe I'm way off base but it made me think of Brokeback Mountain.  Have you seen it??

Yes I've seen it, and although Brokeback was a powerful film in its own right, it's theme completely different.

Joe Buck (Voight) came to NYC to work as a male prostitute and was straight.  He met conman Rico Rizzo (Hoffman) who offered to be his pimp and their at times turbulent friendship developed from that.

Meet Rico Ratso Rizzo. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ShySoul said:

Hi Rainbows. Sorry I can't add much as I haven't seen the movie but after reading about it I can see how it would affect you. It sounds like a groundbreaking film that more people should see. On the other hand, I'm not sure I can watch it. I tend to have strong emotional reactions to characters and can see myself being troubled and depressed at parts of the film. I usually prefer a happy ever after. Still, sounds like a film that really stresses just how important it is to have a friend that is there for you throughout all of the madness in this world. A valuable lesson we can all learn from.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks Shy.  I think my feelings about it stem from my brother dying in 2022 and I wasn't able to be with him on or during his final days.  

I suppose the ending of MC is no secret, Rico was very ill with probably pneumonia and Joe actually strangled a man in order to steal the money to get Rico to Florida.  He died on the bus with Joe by his side. 

Man, I'm tearing up now again just writing about it, I think I need more grief counseling. 

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Batya33 said:

I don't know if I saw it and -gosh maybe I'm way off base but it made me think of Brokeback Mountain. 

I thought of Brokeback Mountain as well, though the themes do seem quite different.

10 minutes ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Man, I'm tearing up now again just writing about it,

Yep, sign of a good movie when you can still be affected just thinking about it days later. 

Sorry about your loss. Hope your doing well.

• Like 1